Southwest GA Regional Radio System

Status
Not open for further replies.

wnstrickland

The RR database indicates what I expected, namely that Albany Police Department talkgroups are all encrypted with the sole exception of "Alarms." However, the database indicates that, also expected, ordinary operational talkgroups are not encrypted. These include garbage, park operations, buses, local hospital, special events, etc. But in fact, the only thing I hear from local government (because my scanner won't pass encrypted talkgroups) is the Fire Department. Well, I'm glad to get the Fire Department, but it seems to me that perhaps radio operations has for some reason encrypted every talkgroup by default, then reversed course on the Fire Department.

I'm not trying to argue the merits of encryption. I just wondered whether someone else familiar with this system might have noticed something I'm overlooking.

I believe the Fire Department has moved to the new Phase II-capable system referred to in the RR database as "Southwest Georgia Regional Radio System P25", but I don't hear any of the ordinary (i.e., non-law enforcement) local talkgroups there, either -- other than Fire.

I distinctly remember city officials stating that they would encrypt PD "channels" for the usual reasons. Maybe somebody just screwed up. I just want to think about it for a while before I have a talk with the City Commission about it. (Frankly, I don't want to seem uninformed.)

Thanks for any additional perspective anyone can offer.

Best wishes,

Bill

RRR

Premium Subscriber
I'm pretty sure they are aware now ;-)

wnstrickland

You think the City of Albany reads the RR forum? Gee! So I can seem uninformed without going over to the government building! <sigh>

RRR

Premium Subscriber
You think the City of Albany reads the RR forum? Gee! So I can seem uninformed without going over to the government building! <sigh>

I guarantee you Alb,... err, ...the radio technicians do! ;-)

wnstrickland

I would be glad to verify and/or add to RR's database if I could do it. My HP2 supposedly will log activity on encrypted channels although, of course, it won't produce any audio. However, although all the Southwest Georgia Regional Radio Service talkgroups as listed in the RR database are downloaded to the scanner, and the scanner should simply indicate encrypted talkgroups in a different color, it doesn't log any of that activity.

Status
Not open for further replies.