SpaceX launch control frequencies for Vandenberg AFB

KPMDWhistler

I'm going to be traveling to Vandenberg AFB to video the launch of SARah 2 & 3 with long range optical tracking assets. The only problem is that since the last time I went I got a new radio (Whistler 1040) and I don't know what frequencies to listen to. I heard someone say they listen to 450-470 and 386.300, and I've seen SpaceXs FCC licence in the RR database with all their freqs listed, but it says their licence is expired. Would they still be transmitting over those freqs even thought there FCC licence is expired? Do they have a new list of freqs I don't know about? I'm not a HAM radio operator or anything, just a scanner, so I don't know what FCC licences are all about.

For all of those curious, I use a Celestron Nexstar+ 4SE with a 2x teleconverter and a Canon 80D giving me a focal length of about 4240mm. For the guide scope/secondary video scope I use a Sigma 150-600mm C with a Canon T3, giving the guide scope a focal length of 960mm. The cameras and lenses and mount are all hooked up to a laptop running Canon Utility, CPWI and RocketTracker. I manually track using an Xbox Series S/X controller through CPWI. RocketTracker (for now) is just used so I can see what my guide scope sees, I'm still trying to make it work so it can auto track planes and rockets for me. RocketTracker was made by Astronomy Live.

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
Since Vandenberg Space Force Base is an active military post, will they allow you to bring RF monitoring gear on to the Base?

KPMDWhistler

Well they don't let you on the base to watch unless you're military/military family (I'm not). And if they did I think it would be fine as long as it's a scanner.