spacex

Status
Not open for further replies.

tfgeocacher

I found this one on another website, but am not sure if the frequency is correct. I tried listening in and heard a faint beacon when ISS was supposed to pass directly overhead.

Space-X Dragon Beacon 400.5MHz

Last edited:

jaymatt1978

Something to keep in mind about the frequencies they're only a couple of watts so you need to be very close to where they are using them in order to hear anything. I would suspect it's for ground operations

kb1mgi

SpaceX Dragon beacon

Dragon Orbit-29 AM UHF Yagi Chelmsford MA by KB1LQC on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

On Thursday May 24th at 3:23 AM we ventured out to view the ISS and the SpaceX Dragon capsule pass overhead.

We took a chance to listen to the only uhf frequency listed on the FCC application to see if we could heard any audio from the SpaceX Dragon or the ISS on the listed frequency.

And we heard a portion of the data bursts from the CUCU (CRS UHF Crew Unit).

There were two clearly visible objects during the ISS and Dragon pass over Chelmsford. This was Dragon C2 orbit #29 at 3:23 AM EST. The ISS was a very bright object and Dragon was roughly 15 seconds behind it and much dimmer, but very obvious. By only pointing the Yagi antenna at the dimmer object moving with the ISS, centering the radio on 400.5 MHz, and the knowledge that the CUCU is a UHF radio (SpaceX only has one UHF request on the FCC application bellow) could we speculate that this is the CUCU. It's very likely but we cannot be 100% sure! But we believe it's the CUCU we are hearing.

We used an Arrow handheld crossed Yagi 2M/70cm (only using the 70 cm antenna) with a Yaesu VX-8R radio in AM mode centered on 400.5 MHz. A cell phone held up to the radio and used a simple audio recorder program to make the recording so it's relatively low quality... but it is the only one we know of.

You will have to turn up the volume to hear the faint data bursts sound we heard over the radio.

We performed several tests and concluded that any nearby cell phones were not causing interference. Pointing more towards the signal heard being from the ISS and Dragon.

Also, we do not know the exact modulation scheme. We only know that it is an emission designator of 338KG1D and a station output power of 5W with 1.5W ERP on the ISS and 1.5W output with 1.5W ERP on the Dragon capsule. We also understand that the signal is 153.6 kbps so it must be relatively wide. We obtained the information from:

https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/els/reports/STA_Print.cfm?mode=current&application_seq=49678

Also attached is a screen shot of the ISS and Dragon passing over head from LIVE REAL TIME SATELLITE TRACKING AND PREDICTIONS webpage. Please read the description on the soundcloud link above for a more in-depth explanation.

Bryce Salmi, KB1LQC
Brent Salmi, KB1LQD
John Salmi, KB1MGI

kb1mgi

Spacex Dragon Depart and Re-Entry

I tried listening again this morning during a direct over head pass here in the Northeast just after the Dragon departed the Space Station on 400.500mhz, for any signals like we heard before while we had a direct over head pass during the night. Nothing was heard. All I could do way wave the yagi back and forth in the pass area. During the night Time siting it was a lot easier to catch the signal.

Did anyone try monitoring any Ships or Aircraft on HF or VHF frequencies during the splash down and recovery off the California coast ? If so what frequencies did find action on ?

KB1MGI

whitenoise

Status
Not open for further replies.