Speaker on BCD436HP sounds too low?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NUGEN

Premium Subscriber
I think the 436 has the same sound output as the 396XT, however a friend of mine thinks the 436 sounds lower. Has anyone felt the same?

Also has anyone been brave enough to take apart the 436 yet and see if it uses the same speaker as the 396XT and T? If they're the same speaker as the 396's, it's cheap and stops working after awhile. I have replaced about 20 already in customer's scanners.

NUGEN

Premium Subscriber
If I remember correctly the speaker in the 396XT and T are 8ohms, it looks like the 436 has a 24ohm speaker in it. It also looks like they've overhauled the entire speaker assembly, the 436 has a newer spring type soldering assembly than the 396XT and T. The 396's used 2 small wires that ran from the board down to the speaker, the 436 doesn't use any wires from the speaker to the board.

Last edited:

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Lower in volume or tone? There is a volume offset in the channel setting +/-3.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
On my 396T and 396XT I set every channel to a volume level of +3 and I never had to turn them. I have never had to turn them all the way up. I carried one every day for over 7 years and never replaced a speaker. I suggest the same settings on the 436.

Also I don't recommend opening the case. This will void the warranty, as if the radio is returned to Uniden for warranty work there is a way the techs can tell if the case has been opened..

Last edited:

freqhopping

Mine doesn't have the volume of my 396XT, so I too set everything to +3.

But what just noticed now is that if I turn volume to 0 I still hear the radio. That's got to be a glitch. With my 396XT set to +3, 0 volume = 0 volume.

RF23

Premium Subscriber
Mine doesn't have the volume of my 396XT, so I too set everything to +3.

But what just noticed now is that if I turn volume to 0 I still hear the radio. That's got to be a glitch. With my 396XT set to +3, 0 volume = 0 volume.

I discovered this a few months ago too.

I think what happens is that the channel you have a +3 on is still at +3 when you reduce the volume control knob to zero.

This also could mean that the +3 cannot make it louder than what you could made it with the volume control but the +3 is relative to the other channel's volume when the volume knob is set at a certain level..

Status
Not open for further replies.