SPEN 1 Interference

Status
Not open for further replies.

nydxa

Since about 4:00 p.m. there has been a 400hz "tone" broadcast on SPEN 1 (154.680) From monitoring here in Central Bergen County there is three different transmitters that vary in signal strength from "S1" to "S7" to "S9+20".

This evening, using our weekly scanner net we've determined that it's being heard over a very wide area, as far way as Milford, CT. It seems to be the strongest in and around Staten Island.

One thought is that the signal may have something to do with the NJSP's system that uses multiple sites. Here in Central Bergen County, it has SPEN 1 paralyzed. I'm really surprised that the FCC hasn't been called in yet.

I'm sure that some local law enforcement agencies read these forums, so any observations may be useful to them.
Please include your location when posting comments.

Last edited:

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Same here and it varies in strength with each rather long transmission, my location is in the upper right corner of this panel. Hmmm, I just unlocked the channel and it seems to be gone now.

OOPS! I spoke too soon, that ear splitting tone just came back @ 2141 hrs.

Last edited:

nydxa

It's definitely multiple transmitters. So we now know it's covering an area from Ocean County, North through Bergen County and E / NE to Nassau County and Milford CT.

This isn't one dirty transmitter. Sounds like some new system testing.

nydxa

The mystery continues!

My guess is that this has something to do with a large agency, perhaps Port Authority and / or NJSP. I've definitely verified that it's several transmitters. No one single site can cover this large of an area. What amazes me is that no prior warning was sent out to the local PD's. Last night I herad many PD's complaining.

Status
Not open for further replies.