Squawster App

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Joined
Dec 9, 2000
Messages
11,948
Reaction score
7,722
Location
Dallas, TX
Squawster is a silly name, IMO. The name doesn't at all give you an idea of what it's purpose is. Same thing with Radiant Glow....seems more like a cosmetic than what it is.
Just so you know… There’s actually a fairly sophisticated conceptual framework behind the name Squawster, although I can understand how someone unfamiliar with the underlying design language might miss it.

The core metaphor is the eagle.

An eagle occupies an elevated observational position, continuously surveying an enormous field of activity below it. It doesn’t stare at one arbitrary point. It maintains broad situational awareness, detects activity across its environment, identifies what matters, and focuses its attention when something significant occurs.

That is essentially Squawster.

Squawster sits above all the Broadcastify feeds, individual Calls talkgroups, and Incident Source events, giving the user what amounts to an electronic eagle eye over the entire communications environment.

Hence our tagline: “Eyes on every channel.”

But obviously, visual surveillance is only half the metaphor. Squawster is fundamentally an audio application.

So we asked ourselves: how does an eagle announce that it has observed something worthy of your attention?

It squawks.

Thus:

Eagle eye + squawk + continuous monitoring = Squawster.

This is also why the default Squawster notification sound is an eagle call. When Squawster detects something important, the eagle that has been metaphorically circling several thousand public-safety communications channels overhead effectively squawks at you.

There were approximately 11 additional layers of semiotic meaning considered during the naming process involving RF propagation, ornithology, auditory cognition, distributed event detection, and the historic relationship between birds of prey and human situational awareness, but unfortunately I can’t share any more of our secret sauce…

Radiant Glow is an entirely separate 47-page explanation.

Hope this helps…
 

gpp10x

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jan 18, 2003
Messages
520
Reaction score
29
Location
MI
I received my email regarding the new app on Monday or Tuesday. I looked for a forum on the new app & never saw one but I was looking for Squawster and see it starts as Incident Source.
 

RobDLG

Member
Feed Provider
Joined
Mar 10, 2024
Messages
160
Reaction score
81
Location
USA
I know this is a hobbyist site, not a place for any meaningful discussion of branding (like LinkedIn or something). Still, I'll note the app name combines the "stigginit" of "Squaw" with a late '90s naming trend, as Google summarizes:

ster.png
 

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Joined
Dec 9, 2000
Messages
11,948
Reaction score
7,722
Location
Dallas, TX
I know this is a hobbyist site, not a place for any meaningful discussion of branding (like LinkedIn or something). Still, I'll note the app name combines the "stigginit" of "Squaw" with a late '90s naming trend, as Google summarizes:
That's one of the beauties of this site - we're a pretty large business that also runs a discussion forum that lets users, members, customers, etc pretty much talk about the platform, and criticize it as well, and we're fairly cool when people even venture into disrespect. It's part of the process. Lord knows we have a passionate user base about RR and the rest of the properties.

I get super feedback as well.

But, don't be surprised if I clap back to even constructive criticism... calling what we named it "silly" is still constructive I suppose, but imagine if I came into your home and said "yo, that picture you have over the fireplace is silly, doesn't have any meaning whatsoever" - you'd probably be like "yo GTFO of my house dude wtf" 😂
 

ems170

Member
Feed Provider
Joined
Feb 10, 2004
Messages
305
Reaction score
46
Location
Connecticut
Good job, love the app! A couple suggestions-
I sent an e-mail reply to the one I got announcing this app, but I figured I'd respond here as well.
On Android on my analog system at least, it plays fine until it gets minimized or goes to the background or the screen goes to sleep, then it pauses until it's brought up again. There's a setting on the Scanner Radio app for it to keep audio focus, I always set that to on so it plays no matter what. That's about the only thing keeping me from using this over the Scanner Radio app at this point.
I haven't had much of a chance to play with the Radiant Glow stuff yet, but it's really nice to have everything rolled up into one app should I need to.
Having a way to play the archive files one after the other like the website would be nice too, but it's not a deal breaker for me.
Hello, I use it on Android, and in the background it works well. Depending on the make, Android can have many OS overlays, so it can be called different things and be in different locations. On pure Android, there is an option in the app info section called battery usage; click on this and make sure that allow background usage is enabled. This will prevent the OS from terminating processes in the name of efficiency. Also, while in there, check "mobile data and wifi" and make sure that background data is enabled as well.
 

RaleighGuy

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jul 15, 2014
Messages
17,813
Reaction score
28,425
Location
Raleigh, NC
Using it on Android phone and seems to work well. Really like that it pulled in my Calls Platform lists when I logged in. The only issue I'm having (please excuse the dumb issue) is pulling up the system to add TGs to my Favorites list.
 
  • Like
Reactions: pto

avery_k

Broadcastify Feed Provider, Lake County, OR
Feed Provider
Joined
Feb 19, 2011
Messages
84
Reaction score
36
Location
Lake County, Oregon
Hello, I use it on Android, and in the background it works well. Depending on the make, Android can have many OS overlays, so it can be called different things and be in different locations. On pure Android, there is an option in the app info section called battery usage; click on this and make sure that allow background usage is enabled. This will prevent the OS from terminating processes in the name of efficiency. Also, while in there, check "mobile data and wifi" and make sure that background data is enabled as well.
Hi, thanks for the tips! I checked and background usage for battery and mobile network/wifi are both enabled. This is on a Pixel 8 Pro, Android 17, if that helps any. I checked again on a stream with more traffic than mine (which wouldn't take much) and background audio did keep playing. So it does appear that it's working correctly. I just thought it was odd that I started the app, let it run for like half an hour or so, brought it back up and the timer was starting from way less than that. No biggie though.
 

W5NIO

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Dec 24, 2015
Messages
44
Reaction score
18
That's one of the beauties of this site - we're a pretty large business that also runs a discussion forum that lets users, members, customers, etc pretty much talk about the platform, and criticize it as well, and we're fairly cool when people even venture into disrespect. It's part of the process. Lord knows we have a passionate user base about RR and the rest of the properties.

I get super feedback as well.

But, don't be surprised if I clap back to even constructive criticism... calling what we named it "silly" is still constructive I suppose, but imagine if I came into your home and said "yo, that picture you have over the fireplace is silly, doesn't have any meaning whatsoever" - you'd probably be like "yo GTFO of my house dude wtf" 😂
I noticed that you have an in app purchase to subscribe to premium. Are you aware that early last year a federal judge made it where you do not have to have App Store payments done through Apple, they can be done through a third-party site? Might want to take a look into this as it could save you a pretty penny on the commissions that Apple takes. This is just an injunction I believe so you may have to have a feature flag to flip the switch back if something happens.
 

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Joined
Dec 9, 2000
Messages
11,948
Reaction score
7,722
Location
Dallas, TX
Using it on Android phone and seems to work well. Really like that it pulled in my Calls Platform lists when I logged in. The only issue I'm having (please excuse the dumb issue) is pulling up the system to add TGs to my Favorites list.
What issue are you having.

You gotta tell me man!
 

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Joined
Dec 9, 2000
Messages
11,948
Reaction score
7,722
Location
Dallas, TX
I noticed that you have an in app purchase to subscribe to premium. Are you aware that early last year a federal judge made it where you do not have to have App Store payments done through Apple, they can be done through a third-party site? Might want to take a look into this as it could save you a pretty penny on the commissions that Apple takes. This is just an injunction I believe so you may have to have a feature flag to flip the switch back if something happens.
I am intimately aware of this ruling - don't worry
 

RaleighGuy

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jul 15, 2014
Messages
17,813
Reaction score
28,425
Location
Raleigh, NC
What issue are you having.

You gotta tell me man!

The only issue (minor and it is a me issue) is I can not figure out where to pull up the system and search through the TGs to mark a favorite, so it is added to the favorites page.
 

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Joined
Dec 9, 2000
Messages
11,948
Reaction score
7,722
Location
Dallas, TX
The only issue (minor and it is a me issue) is I can not figure out where to pull up the system and search through the TGs to mark a favorite, so it is added to the favorites page.
What "system" are you talking about? I still don't understand what you are tring to do.

Tell me from start to finish what you are trying to do and what your expected result is.

Example:

"I'm trying to create a broadcastify calls playlist in the app and add Raleigh Fire Department Channels 1-4 that are on Broadcastify Calls to the playlist"

or

"I want to add Raleigh Fire Tactical Channel 4 on Broadcastify Calls to my favorites list on the Calls Groups tab"
 

RaleighGuy

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jul 15, 2014
Messages
17,813
Reaction score
28,425
Location
Raleigh, NC
What "system" are you talking about? I still don't understand what you are tring to do.

Tell me from start to finish what you are trying to do and what your expected result is.

Example:

"I'm trying to create a broadcastify calls playlist in the app and add Raleigh Fire Department Channels 1-4 that are on Broadcastify Calls to the playlist"

or

"I want to add Raleigh Fire Tactical Channel 4 on Broadcastify Calls to my favorites list on the Calls Groups tab"
InShot_20261001_201739096.jpg Best way to is to show you.
 
Top