Squelch tail SDR

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimTailor

Member
Joined
Feb 24, 2006
Messages
162
Reaction score
2
On a local police frequency (857.2625) I am receiving a very strong squelch tail at the end of each transmission in SDR Console. With other SDR software the tail is not nearly as pronounced or even close to non-existent. Any suggestions for adjustments in Console to eliminate this? I have been leaning toward Console as my go-to sdr software but this is a major stumbling block.
 

br0adband

Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2005
Messages
1,566
Reaction score
8
Location
Springfield MO
Is it a traditional "static" kind of short burst, or a series of beeps (typically 5, might have to boost the volume to make them out if you have a high frequency hearing deficiency), or something else? I've noted on some Motorola Type II Smartnet systems that occasionally they'll have some instance of a very long squelch tail like the repeater just doesn't want to let the signal go for whatever reason. If it's not something on your end there's nothing you can do about it, basically.

The only thing that I've ever found that helped to reduce the traditional "static" kind of short burst is adjusting the squelch itself a bit higher to cut out such things. Would be fantastic to find a way to get rid of the static at all like an actual scanner tends to do but I'm not sure that's possible with SDR hardware and software, maybe someone will figure it out someday.
 

slicerwizard

Member
Joined
Sep 19, 2002
Messages
7,802
Reaction score
2,196
Location
Toronto, Ontario
I've noted on some Motorola Type II Smartnet systems that occasionally they'll have some instance of a very long squelch tail like the repeater just doesn't want to let the signal go for whatever reason.
Motorola analog systems send a disconnect word - a repeating 10101100 bit pattern sent at 300 bps - which mutes the subscriber units and sends them back to the control channel, which is why they have no squelch tail. I've seen some SZ traffic channels that never dekey - if you monitor them in conventional mode, your receiver hangs indefinitely.


If it's not something on your end there's nothing you can do about it, basically.
The OP indicated that other SDR software is functioning properly, so there seems to be an issue with SDR Console's squelch logic. Obviously, there's something different about the particular channel, like a higher noise floor or something.


The only thing that I've ever found that helped to reduce the traditional "static" kind of short burst is adjusting the squelch itself a bit higher to cut out such things. Would be fantastic to find a way to get rid of the static at all like an actual scanner tends to do but I'm not sure that's possible with SDR hardware and software, maybe someone will figure it out someday.
Shouldn't be that hard. The reason you hear a squelch tail is because the software takes a bit of time to decide that the signal has changed (from being present to being gone); it takes time because otherwise, weak signals would chatter as the squelch logic opened and closed rapidly as the signal level fluctuates.

The trick is to take the time needed to see that the signal is really gone and then determine exactly where the transition from signal present to signal gone occurred, and then only play the audio up to that point. Of course, this means you need to delay the audio you're playing by a bit - maybe 100 to 200 ms.
 

JimTailor

Member
Joined
Feb 24, 2006
Messages
162
Reaction score
2
This is a static sound. Analog system. Tower is less than a quarter mile away. I'll try adjusting squelch (not real familiar with that in console yet) but not going to spend a crazy amount of time on it because this system is going encrypted soon!
 

br0adband

Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2005
Messages
1,566
Reaction score
8
Location
Springfield MO
You probably already located it but it's under DSP Options:

SDR_Console_Squelch.png


In that shot I've got it set for roughly 70-75% scale; the Auto button is a one-time thing - when you click it it'll set the squelch based on the currently received signal and then it'll stay at that setting, it doesn't mean it automatically adjusts constantly in the background.
 

JimTailor

Member
Joined
Feb 24, 2006
Messages
162
Reaction score
2
I did find the squelch but can't seem to get it to remain set when I move to another frequency. Auto always seems to be highlighted. I can change the squelch setting but when I switch to another frequency then back, the squelch as changed. How can I eliminate the auto function and set and hold a squelch level?
 

br0adband

Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2005
Messages
1,566
Reaction score
8
Location
Springfield MO
Never had that issue myself so I can't say, perhaps disable Squelch entirely, restart SDR-Console entirely and re-enable and see what happens, maybe? I adjusted mine one time (after toying with Auto, clicking it again and again till I realized it was just changing based on the current signal reception) then decided to just set the slider manually and I literally haven't touched it again since.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top