St Louis city FD dispatch

scanman1958

Premium Subscriber
Has anyone who monitors StL city fire dispatch on a regular basis notice the dispatchers volume, especially during actual dispatching of calls, being extremely low? Not sure if it is improper technique by the dispatcher or console issues or maybe microphone issues.

There are times I have no idea that a call is going out. I usually monitor on my sds100 at around 4 to 6 on the volume setting. I am having to hit volumes of 14 (out of 15) to understand what is said by the dispatcher. But the mobile units are loud and clear. Makes for interesting monitoring if you leave it up.

Anyone have an idea....without being sarcastic. Hope we don't have to call them up to say...hey, what's up with this?

Thanks.

PS. It's the same on all my scanners.

llzel

Premium Subscriber
I monitor EMS more than fire and get the same thing. I deducted that it's a specific dispatcher's headset.

llzel

Premium Subscriber
I've also heard 703 or 704 tell the dispatcher that they can't hear them and suddenly it's better.

scanman1958

Premium Subscriber
That is one thought that I have. I have seen dispatchers remove a headset, if that's what they are using, and dangle it on their neck because it's more comfortable. So the mic isn't where it's supposed to be. Seen one or two others just set the headset on the counter in front of them. The other possibilities are still options for bad sound.