STA Issued for Detroit Grand Prix

Status
Not open for further replies.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Now that Covid19 has appeared in the county, and the governor has declared a state of emergency, to coordinate the fight against the virus, we will have to see if the race still happens.

Long Beach is gone, St Pete won't have any fans, will the 500 be next?
I remember when H1N1 or SARS was a concern the Indy mayor had a press conference about canceling some events in case it spread.
I asked if the 500 would be canceled.
"NO" was the answer, that would really hurt the city and town and they didn't want to think about it.

The STA request says 3500 radios, no way they are using that many, especially since the license is for 700.
So far that will be the first race of the season with the 500 pushed back to Aug 23, my travel day to IWCE.

Xray

Highly unlikely [obviously] the show will go on.
They just cancelled the 2020 auto show [slated for early June] today - Cobo Center [now known as TCF Center] in fact might be used as a giant field hospital.

I saw that auto show notice not long after making my post. One of the Long Beach promoters said they lose money by having fans come in, I guess that's why the St Pete folks didn't flinch when the IRL suggested running the race sans fans.

The medical folks would be better off with the field hospital on Belle Isle so they would have better isolation and more open space for medical folks to escape to when not in patient contact. The cruise ship passengers in isolation at Travis AFB had fewer positives in the apartments than the motel.

Xray

I saw that auto show notice not long after making my post. One of the Long Beach promoters said they lose money by having fans come in, I guess that's why the St Pete folks didn't flinch when the IRL suggested running the race sans fans.

The medical folks would be better off with the field hospital on Belle Isle so they would have better isolation and more open space for medical folks to escape to when not in patient contact. The cruise ship passengers in isolation at Travis AFB had fewer positives in the apartments than the motel.

I guess the rational for using a place like Cobo [TCF center] is a giant roof over their heads, controlled climate, service facilities ect unlike belle isle which would just be an improvised, outdoor tent field hospital.

I by chance have been working at Cobo for nearly 20 years setting up displays for shows, auto show is the big one of course but dozens of others, have also set up grandstands for the grand prix

Status
Not open for further replies.