Stafford going digital

Status
Not open for further replies.

fredva

Feed Provider
According to a story in today's Free Lance-Star, Stafford County will spend $23 million to switch its radios from analog to digital. They expect to begin using the digital radios in 2010.

eng2trk

Yes the system should be pretty nice. With 10 channels and 13 transmitter sites, it will have a very strong and penetrating footprint.

There is also a possiblity that the City of Fredericksburg will come on board the system as well. It would also be a nice upgrade for them.

Get those digital scanners on layaway now.

dtscho

Database Admin
It would be an excellent idea for the City to come on board with the system. Spotsylvania should also think about joining, since they're using a mostly-analog EDACS system. It would be good to get everyone on a P25 system. In Spotsylvania's case, however, they could communicate with Stafford and/or Fredericksburg using the analog 800 MHz mutual aid channels (8Call, etc.).

Do you know any other details about the system?

Thanks,
Dave

fredva

Feed Provider
Does anyone know if the alleged issues with Prince William's digital system have been resolved to everyone's satisfication? I believe the communications system was getting some criticism when a firefighter lost his life there a year ago. Part of the problem was not enough dispatchers to listen to the radio communications. But I think there were also complaints that the digital radios weren't transmitting clearly.

eng2trk

Stafford digital

Sorry for a delayed reply, I was out of town.

I will probably be on the committee of fire service members to help design the talkgroup setup. County is still trying to secure long term contracts for each of the 13 sites.

Also, early plans are to keep some of the UHF freqs for MCT data for fire/sheriff.

154.175 should remain for minitor alerting. Newer CAD/MOSCAD system will do actual station alerting.
The New Berea Station and New Stafford Station will be the first to have the newer alerting systems. It should be installed in all stations before 700mhz system goes live though.

Like most NOVA jurisdictions routine operations and fireground operations will probably be immediatly sent to separate talkgroup from main disptach.

If you have a perticular system question I can try to find out for ya.

Speakling of Prince William and coverage problems. Digital radio has it's weaknesses in Public Safety. Period. From in building coverage to firefighters hanging keys on the antenna, to water and heat exposure. Firefighters just need to know the limits of the system. Luckily Stafford has some people whom have worked with some of those other systems in the past and have built on known problems. as such they were able to spec a system with very strong outside coverage and in building penatration. it will be a change but after the learning curve (which alot of the volunteers have already dealt with at thier career jobs) Stafford should have a very strong and well thought out system.

N4VKF

Premium Subscriber
stafford digital

It would be an excellent idea for the City to come on board with the system. Spotsylvania should also think about joining, since they're using a mostly-analog EDACS system. It would be good to get everyone on a P25 system. In Spotsylvania's case, however, they could communicate with Stafford and/or Fredericksburg using the analog 800 MHz mutual aid channels (8Call, etc.).

Do you know any other details about the system?

Thanks,
Dave

Well I remember back when spotsy went trunk they asked fredericksburg and stafford to join them on the system. There are alot of interoperability problems in this region. I have first hand knowledge from when I worked in spotsy dispatch. It is kind of a snub if fredericksburg is going to join the stafford system because they cut off all mutual aid ems to spotsy and stafford years back when the volunteers could not staff enough units for coverage of the city and chose not to fully join the spotsy edacs system and continue to upgrade their vhf system. I doubt spotsy will join the new stafford digital system... they have no money

Status
Not open for further replies.