STANAG 4285

Status
Not open for further replies.

alok

I think I ID'ed the noise I asked about on SW in a previous post in the SW/HF monitoring forum ,it sounds like STANAG 4285.
I guess it is 4285 ??

I am using MultiPSK software that is working great on all ham digital modes ,as well as some professional modes ,but when I use its 4285 feature all I see is a bunch of letters / numbers / punctuation marks going at a fast rate.
Is this decoding and indicates the material is encrypted ? If so is there anything in the encrypted material that will at least tell me the station ID or that I am actually seeing a STANAG station ???

Al

Token

I think I ID'ed the noise I asked about on SW in a previous post in the SW/HF monitoring forum ,it sounds like STANAG 4285.
I guess it is 4285 ??

There are several STANAG digital signals found on the HF bands, some would be very difficult to distinguish from each other by ear.

In addition to various STANAGs there are also other digital modems that sound very similar.

In other words, withhout further detail it would indeed be a guess as to it being S4285.

However, as I said in response to your first post in the other thread, there is an STANAG 4285 signal heard regularly on 6843 kHz, USB, and this is probably a good candidate to the signal you are hearing.

I am using MultiPSK software that is working great on all ham digital modes ,as well as some professional modes ,but when I use its 4285 feature all I see is a bunch of letters / numbers / punctuation marks going at a fast rate.
Is this decoding and indicates the material is encrypted ? If so is there anything in the encrypted material that will at least tell me the station ID or that I am actually seeing a STANAG station ???

If you are looking at 6843 kHz that signal is encrypted.

If you are looking at other signals, yes the random letters / symbols / numbers might be an indication that you trying to listen to encrypted traffic. However, it is also possible the signal is NOT encrypted and you have some settings incorrect. It is also possible you are hearing another signal and trying to decode it as S4285...which will not work.

Regardless, if you are hearing encrypted S4285 then no, there is no information you will get out of it that can help you ID the source.

T!

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
The UDXF group on groups.io reports logs of this and other STANAG type modes on a fairly regular basis - this would be the place to watch. Apart from the occasional tests that you might luck into in the clear (and yes, it really is a bit of luck to find them), I think you'll find STANAG stations to be pretty much full time encrypted.

Mike

n2pqq

Premium Subscriber
TRY 6.348.00 USB
That is very active French navy.

You will find words in french also RYRYRY
testing and NNNN at end of messages.

Use mode 4285 in multipsk

Status
Not open for further replies.