Starcom 21 Scanning

Status
Not open for further replies.

kglide2008

I'm new to the forum and would like to know if a Uniden 996P2 would be a good choice for scanning Illinois State Police which uses Starcom 21 Project 25 Phase 2?
I would appreciate any input and advise. Thank You.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I'm new to the forum and would like to know if a Uniden 996P2 would be a good choice for scanning Illinois State Police which uses Starcom 21 Project 25 Phase 2?
I would appreciate any input and advise. Thank You.
That's really going to hinge upon your location.

The 996P2 is certainly capable of monitoring the Starcom 21 system. What it does not do well, though, is dealing with simulcast sites. If the site (or sites) in your home, and perhaps neighboring, counties are not simulcast, it should work well. But if simulcast, the results might not be satisfactory.

What is your location? (City or county, and in Illinois?)

More details on Simulcast issues can be found in the Wiki.
Simulcast digital distortion - The RadioReference Wiki

kglide2008

Thanks for the reply Steve! This would be for Fulton County Illinois. I'll read up on the Simulcast details later today. I'm trying to keep the cost of my first scanner down while still having the capability for digital Phase 2. Do you have any recommendations that I should look at in terms of scanners? I appreciate the input!

N9JCQ

Premium Subscriber
Kglide2008, Fulton has four Starcom21 sites in Fulton County. You can find the data here: STARCOM21 Statewide Illinois Trunking System, Statewide, Multi-State - Scanner Frequencies. I downloaded it as a CSV file so I could import it into Excel to illustrate this.

Below in the screen print Showing two IL counties, Lake, where I live, and your Fulton county. Note in the description field for Lake, it shows it as a Simulcast system. Fulton shows the four sites in the four towns in Fulton. In the Wiki, you probably can find a map of their locations. Your 996P2 should be just fine for Fulton.

I did not search your adjoining counties for any simulcast systems. I use the 325P2 here in Lake and that is the handheld version of your 996P2. It works just fine for me but with simulcast, it's location that makes the difference. I hope this helps you.
1614086690698.png

kglide2008

Kglide2008, Fulton has four Starcom21 sites in Fulton County. You can find the data here: STARCOM21 Statewide Illinois Trunking System, Statewide, Multi-State - Scanner Frequencies. I downloaded it as a CSV file so I could import it into Excel to illustrate this.

Below in the screen print Showing two IL counties, Lake, where I live, and your Fulton county. Note in the description field for Lake, it shows it as a Simulcast system. Fulton shows the four sites in the four towns in Fulton. In the Wiki, you probably can find a map of their locations. Your 996P2 should be just fine for Fulton.

I did not search your adjoining counties for any simulcast systems. I use the 325P2 here in Lake and that is the handheld version of your 996P2. It works just fine for me but with simulcast, it's location that makes the difference. I hope this helps you.
View attachment 99455
Thanks [U]N9JCQ[/U], nice spreadsheet! I spent quite a few years in Crystal Lake up that way! Those are the towns most relevant to me in Fulton County. Your reply is most helpful!

kglide2008

2 SDR Dongles w/antennas and SDRTrunk program $50-60 add your own PC, Monitor, Speakers or Nunc/mini PC. I am assuming you have a PC so $50-60 would be your start-up costs.
Thanks Jim. That looks like a great entry cost! I do want the capability for mobile when needed, maybe that will come afterwards... However, I suppose I could take a laptop with me and power from a vehicle too.

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
I live in Will County near Chicago and only 3blocks from T113 and have 2-996P2 and 2-325p2 and they work perfect

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
You might get lucky and be in the right spot with a 996P2, many of us haven't. My suggestion is to go with the higher end scanner, or wait it out until you can afford it.

Awesomeman92

Premium Subscriber
You could also go with 1 SDR stick and a copy of DSD+ Fast Lane on PC.

Peoria County uses a simulcast site, and that's about it for central/west central IL. I have a 325 in my truck and it does pretty decent on simulcast (there's a lot of it up here) while mobile. Not as good as my SDS200 does, but including DMR and NXDN upgrades in both I paid about half as much for the 325 as the 200, so I can accept some loss. If the 996 and 325 perform the same, then you should be perfectly fine.

And just to clarify, ISP is still phase 1, the only phase 2 you'll see regularly is from Fulton County talkgroups.

kglide2008

Thanks Awesomeman92. If I went with that setup, what would I need for antenna and about what kind of range would I get? Is the RTL-SDR stick the one to get?

Awesomeman92

Premium Subscriber
There is no one answer to that, it just depends on how much money you want to spend and how fancy you want to get. On my truck I use a Comtelco with a mag mount, I can't really speak to range because I use the GPS to lock out things when I get that far from them. I will say the Comtelco is a good deal for the price, you can get them from Scannermaster, but you'll need an NMO mount no matter how you decide to mount it (mag mount, trunk mount, etc.). At home I have a Larsen tri band on a Tram ground plane kit about 10 feet off the ground, and even with a roughly 100 foot run of coax (75 of which is LMR400) I can reliably hear out to about 45-50 miles. Prior to the Larsen I had another Comtelco on that mount and I can tell you on VHF and 700 & up the performance is almost identical, but on UHF the Larsen kicks the Comtelco's butt up the street and back again. Unless you're trying to hear over into like McDonough County or something further away you likely wouldn't notice this. Again, both these antennas would require an NMO mount of some kind. If you go with the SDR, you will need to get adapters for the coax, the SDR will either have an SMA or MCX connector. My interior cable runs use regular TV coax with F connectors, because I'm not using long enough runs to notice the loss it has at higher frequencies and it's much cheaper, easier to find, and easier to work with than the LMR400 I use outside. Either the Larsen or Comtelco combined with a Tram ground plane make good base antennas and are probably small enough you could keep them inside and put them on top of a desk or something if you wanted to.

I would say if you ONLY want to hear SC21 at one time, go with the SDR. If you want to be able to scan multiple sites at once or scan both SC21 and conventional VHF/UHF, go with a 996 or 325. The SDR has the inexpensive factor, but what you save in price you give up in flexibility. That's what I would say anyway.

And as always with antennas, your mileage may vary. I live at the top of a hill, so my antennas are going to work better than someone who lives at the end of my street at the bottom. And again, it depends on what range you're after. You might even do just fine with a cheap TV antenna (not an amplified one): I have a pair of rabbit ears older than me as my backup antenna when it storms and I disconnect everything that goes outside.

kglide2008

Thanks! As interesting as the SDR route sounds, I will probably stick with my original thought of getting a (used?) BCD996P2, or equivalent, so I have the flexibility to scan multiple sites as well as put in the truck when I need to.

kglide2008

I want to thank all of you who have given me input on my first scanner selection so far! I narrowed it down to two units for my want list: BCD536HP or BCD996P2. My county of residence is Fulton County Illinois. Can someone guide me with what upgrades would be useful for this area? Would I want to have the DMR, NXDN or ProVoice? I would use this mainly for a base unit, but would like the ability for mobile. I'm kinda like that in that I always seem to want extras "just in case I need them"! My preference is the 536HP! I have seen some pretty good units, with and without the upgrades, for $350 - $450 listed in the classifieds. Thanks everyone!

N9JCQ

Premium Subscriber
Provoice is all but dead.. The database will tell you if and who would use DMR or NXDN in your area. I wouldn't worry about them until you get set up, running and understand what's in your area first.

Awesomeman92

Premium Subscriber
All police in McDonough County use DMR and some of the counties to the south/southeast of you use NXDN, I can't remember which off the top of my head. As N9JCQ said don't bother with ProVoice. I'd guess there's only a handful of EDACS systems left operational in the state, and likely none of these are using digital.

Edit: I know the Metro Water Reclamation District EDACS system is ProVoice but I've never seen anything other than a data call on it, so I don't count it. Either way. don't waste your money on the upgrade.

kglide2008

Thanks! I'm only curious about the upgrades as I plan on buying a used unit and want to know if I should obsess over upgrades or not as they can add up if I were to add them on later. I have seen some used units (536HP) with DMR/NXDN for $350 ish and some units w/o upgrades for $
400 - $450. I get what you are telling me though and it's good advise! Just trying to save unnecessary steps, but sometimes that can be overwhelming - at least to me!

kglide2008

Thanks Awesomeman 92! So I reckon if I can get a 536 w/the upgrades then I should try to do that! It sounds as though they can be useful to my setup for the area.

Status
Not open for further replies.