STARS FDMA?

Hbright

Is anyone tracking the possibility that some STARS TGs are FDMA? I've caught DEM OPS (TG 2407) a few times in the past month (from a few different sites) and every time I've heard it my SDS says "P25P2 Slot 1 (or 2)." Every other STARS talk group I've seen shows "P25," as all TDMA systems do.

LeSueurC

IBEW Local 50
Premium Subscriber
Is anyone tracking the possibility that some STARS TGs are FDMA? I've caught DEM OPS (TG 2407) a few times in the past month (from a few different sites) and every time I've heard it my SDS says "P25P2 Slot 1 (or 2)." Every other STARS talk group I've seen shows "P25," as all TDMA systems do.
A lot of TG's are going P2 TDMA, you can tell they are by the longer RID. CBBT PD did this a while ago. STARS is currently P25 Phase 1 FDMA, they're upgrading to P25 Phase 2 TDMA. I believe you have FDMA and TDMA confused.

Hbright

A lot of TG's are going P2 TDMA, you can tell they are by the longer RID. CBBT PD did this a while ago. STARS is currently P25 Phase 1 FDMA, they're upgrading to P25 Phase 2 TDMA. I believe you have FDMA and TDMA confused.
yes, you're right, I'm flip-flopping TDMA and FDMA.

A lot of VSP radios are now the newer 6xxxxx RIDs.

N4VKF

Premium Subscriber
I've seen the new rid numbers. I guess they are slowly going tdma site by site. I have not seen any conversion on Thornburg yet.

Listener1440

Premium Subscriber
Just a question to clear up confusion on my part. Is this updating part of the scheduled charges to STARS that will facilitate encryption? The only reason I ask is their was quite a bit of rumor floating around October to December that was happening, but I haven't hears or seen any evidence of it so far. I like to monitor VSP and VDOT Safety while traveling the highways and byways of Virginia.
Thank you in advance for your information.

LeSueurC

IBEW Local 50
Premium Subscriber
Just a question to clear up confusion on my part. Is this updating part of the scheduled charges to STARS that will facilitate encryption? The only reason I ask is their was quite a bit of rumor floating around October to December that was happening, but I haven't hears or seen any evidence of it so far. I like to monitor VSP and VDOT Safety while traveling the highways and byways of Virginia.
Thank you in advance for your information.
Yes, Phase 2 TDMA upgrade and encryption

Hbright

Wow, that's the first time I've heard VSP actually using encryption.

LeSueurC

IBEW Local 50
Premium Subscriber
Wow, that's the first time I've heard VSP actually using encryption.
There’s always been encryption for certain members, the Tac Team guys and some Sgts. and above down in Division 5 normally run encryption on Chesapeake 1 & 2. But that encryption he’s showing in the screenshot isn’t actually encryption, it’s a glitch, the
Transmission was probably garbled or came in weak and Dsd Plus recognized it as encryption, happens all the time for me on certain systems

kainixon2187

Premium Subscriber
There’s always been encryption for certain members, the Tac Team guys and some Sgts. and above down in Division 5 normally run encryption on Chesapeake 1 & 2. But that encryption he’s showing in the screenshot isn’t actually encryption, it’s a glitch, the
Transmission was probably garbled or came in weak and Dsd Plus recognized it as encryption, happens all the time for me on certain systems
happens to me all the time on chesapeakes system especially

n4jri

Premium Subscriber
The Midlothian site (at SPHQ) is doing TDMA. Picked up CBBT Police on it today. Loud as expected for Phase 2. The transmission read as 'D2' on my TRX-1

73/Allen (N4JRI)

kg4icg

Crazy Trucking Mechanic
Premium Subscriber
SSP has been on Phase 2 for a month now in 8 and 9. VSP still using phase 1 for now

CPerk

I’ve heard few things on TDMA on Feb 15 of ric 1 talkgroup . Have video , but won’t seem to upload on here tho . But haven’t heard it since that day , they went back to FDMA .

TJX400

VSP still has lots of units with Astro 25 subscribers, lots. It will be a while before we see TDMA on VSP (and at that point, encryption as well).

Medic805

Commo Nerd
Premium Subscriber
VSP still has lots of units with Astro 25 subscribers, lots. It will be a while before we see TDMA on VSP (and at that point, encryption as well).
I know that they are scheduling units to come into their shops to complete the upgrades along with pulling out the old low band mobiles and installing docks for the upcoming body worn cameras. All of the other STARS agencies have completed their upgrades to my knowledge.

motorcoachdoug

Premium Subscriber
I am traveling from the top of I81 all the way down to TN and wonder if VSP will be encrypted along I81. Does anyone know just how far along they are with their encryption being programmed into the units?

Hbright

My understanding is that all the APX NEXTs are loaded with encryption keys and that at some point VSP will pass down the order for Troopers to switch their radios over to encryption (just as DWR did a few years ago).

LeSueurC

IBEW Local 50
Premium Subscriber
My understanding is that all the APX NEXTs are loaded with encryption keys and that at some point VSP will pass down the order for Troopers to switch their radios over to encryption (just as DWR did a few years ago).
Not all VSP have APX’s yet…. Still seeing older radio ID’s. The Divisions are all switched out. I’m thinking end of this year they’ll flip the switch