STARS FDMA?

TJX400

In 1st division I generally see more of the older Astro 25 IDs than the statewide ID compliant 6xxxxxx IDs. I agree, probably the end of this year. It takes a lot of time to swap out every radio in the state.

Hbright

I’d say right now in Division 7 about 60% of the radios have seven-digit RIDs (both portables and mobiles).

Some of those have been (accidentally, I think) transmitting encrypted.

LeSueurC

IBEW Local 50
Premium Subscriber
I’d say right now in Division 7 about 60% of the radios have seven-digit RIDs (both portables and mobiles).

Some of those have been (accidentally, I think) transmitting encrypted.
In Division 5 it’s 50/50. Marine Police I think is at least 90% although I don’t catch all their activity , CBBT PD is 100%, VDOT is 80%. Although encryption has always been selectable for certain VSP units. I haven’t heard any encryption for VSP though, even on the new APX’s in Division 1&5

Hbright

I'm reasonably certain all the APXs are hitting the street with encryption loaded. They just haven't flipped the (literal) switch yet.

motorcoachdoug

Premium Subscriber
Now why would they want to make VDOT encrypted???? and the SSP as well? Do the SSP run blue lights when they run code or is it red and white? Up here in MD the CHART trucks do run red when running code to a call including sirens also .

LeSueurC

IBEW Local 50
Premium Subscriber
Now why would they want to make VDOT encrypted???? and the SSP as well? Do the SSP run blue lights when they run code or is it red and white? Up here in MD the CHART trucks do run red when running code to a call including sirens also .
Because SSP’s run tags. They run all amber

motorcoachdoug

Premium Subscriber
That is something that our CHART trucks can not do here in MD and they have a mix of Red and amber in the front and rear when running code having to make their way thru traffic. I can see both sides of the coin about SSP being encrypted but then again are they using a MDT when they run a tag or call it in ? here CHART calls in the tag number to TOC which is located in Jessup ,MD on the south side of KBWI across the street from it and even if they are in Fredrick or western MD they still talk to TOC 50 or more miles away. Not sure when they over on the eastern shore across the bay but that is District 1 for the CHART trucks and they do patrol over along Rt 50 between the Bay Bridge and Ocean City and they can also come up on the MSP different Talk Groups as well.

LeSueurC

IBEW Local 50
Premium Subscriber
That is something that our CHART trucks can not do here in MD and they have a mix of Red and amber in the front and rear when running code having to make their way thru traffic. I can see both sides of the coin about SSP being encrypted but then again are they using a MDT when they run a tag or call it in ? here CHART calls in the tag number to TOC which is located in Jessup ,MD on the south side of KBWI across the street from it and even if they are in Fredrick or western MD they still talk to TOC 50 or more miles away. Not sure when they over on the eastern shore across the bay but that is District 1 for the CHART trucks and they do patrol over along Rt 50 between the Bay Bridge and Ocean City and they can also come up on the MSP different Talk Groups as well.
They call them out over the air. They have the same horns as police vehicles and will use them when responding in heavy traffic, have heard them using them while using the shoulders to get to accident scenes. SSP’s are under VDOT, unlike in Maryland where you have MDOT and SHA. Our SSP’s are separated by Divisions. They’re not the same as VSP Divisions, but each VDOT Division has a TOC or dispatch center. I believe SSP’s have access to VSP TG’s but it’s been a while since I’ve heard SSP on VSP channels