TRX-1: Starting over

eyes00only

With pretty much everything being encrypted now I've decided to reformat my SD card and start making folders of the few things I can still monitor.
My question is what's the best way to do this using the Whistler software? Do I do Restore Factory Defaults, Prepare Scanner Memory/SD Card For Use or something else. In most cases I would just remove the SD card and reformat it to FAT? but I don't think that's correct thing to do.

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
You could also just make a new vscanner folder, be sure to enable it on the scanner and in ezscan.

You can reset the scanner two ways; 1 from the radio or 2, in the EZscan PC programming software.

In the radio:
1) Go to main menu and select "Set Location" and choose the "Clear Channels" option.
2) When done, go back to main menu and select Program Menu/Global settings and scroll down to "Default Vals" and press SEL. The unit doesn't really show anything when you press this as it clears everything so fast.
3) Press Left Arrow to go back.
4) Unit will display "Save Changes?", press SEL for OK
5) Press Menu to go back to Main Menu

If "Set Location" is not shown on Main Menu
1) Scroll to Program Menu press SEL
2) Global setting should be selected. press SEL
3) Press the UP arrow to the option "LocationSelect"
4) Press SEL to select it ( check mark vs an empty box)
5) Press MENU. Unit will display "Save Changes?", press SEL for OK
6) Press Menu to go back to Main Menu

If "LocationSelect" is not shown on step 3 above.
1) Press the UP arrow to the option "Bandplan"
2) Use the Right or Left arrow to select "USA"
3) Press MENU. Unit will display "Save Changes?", press SEL for OK
4) Press Menu to go back to Main Menu

In EZScan:
1) Under the file menu select New Configuration
2) Select the Default folder ( CDAT) and press Select.
3) Select your band plan
4) Connect scanner to your PC
5) Under the Scanner/SD card pull down menu select "Copy configuration to scanner/memory card"

eyes00only

You could also just make a new vscanner folder, be sure to enable it on the scanner and in ezscan.

You can reset the scanner two ways; 1 from the radio or 2, in the EZscan PC programming software.

In the radio:
1) Go to main menu and select "Set Location" and choose the "Clear Channels" option.
2) When done, go back to main menu and select Program Menu/Global settings and scroll down to "Default Vals" and press SEL. The unit doesn't really show anything when you press this as it clears everything so fast.
3) Press Left Arrow to go back.
4) Unit will display "Save Changes?", press SEL for OK
5) Press Menu to go back to Main Menu

If "Set Location" is not shown on Main Menu
1) Scroll to Program Menu press SEL
2) Global setting should be selected. press SEL
3) Press the UP arrow to the option "LocationSelect"
4) Press SEL to select it ( check mark vs an empty box)
5) Press MENU. Unit will display "Save Changes?", press SEL for OK
6) Press Menu to go back to Main Menu

If "LocationSelect" is not shown on step 3 above.
1) Press the UP arrow to the option "Bandplan"
2) Use the Right or Left arrow to select "USA"
3) Press MENU. Unit will display "Save Changes?", press SEL for OK
4) Press Menu to go back to Main Menu

In EZScan:
1) Under the file menu select New Configuration
2) Select the Default folder ( CDAT) and press Select.
3) Select your band plan
4) Connect scanner to your PC
5) Under the Scanner/SD card pull down menu select "Copy configuration to scanner/memory card"
That's way more complicated than I thought. Let me change my question. If I was to install a new SD card how would I PREPARE it to use with EZ scan? Thanks for your reply but I'm thinking a new SD card may be the way to go. I'm in no hurry but going on vacation in May and want to load some folders.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
That's way more complicated than I thought. Let me change my question. If I was to install a new SD card how would I PREPARE it to use with EZ scan? Thanks for your reply but I'm thinking a new SD card may be the way to go. I'm in no hurry but going on vacation in May and want to load some folders.
SEE POST #2

eyes00only

Now I have a new code. 3.02 / I removed the SD card and reformatted it to FAT32

I'll start fresh another day after I find the manual

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
You can prepare the card or format the card in ezscan, but it doesn't remove the data from windows, then ezscan repopulates that data. You can also just make a new vscanner folder.

eyes00only

You can prepare the card or format the card in ezscan, but it doesn't remove the data from windows, then ezscan repopulates that data. You can also just make a new vscanner folder.
I have a busy day but as of now the scanner won't do anything but show error 3.02
Just now I tried turning it off and it's stuck on Power Off / shutting down...
Tomorrow I'll find the manual but may be back with questions.

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
I have a busy day but as of now the scanner won't do anything but show error 3.02
Just now I tried turning it off and it's stuck on Power Off / shutting down...
Tomorrow I'll find the manual but may be back with questions.
Any 3.xx error is related to the micro sd card.

You can attempt to fix the card using window drive error checker, if it fixes it, use ezscan prepare disk to format and setup the card.

If Windows can't fix the card and/or read it, I have found that some android devices can still fix the card by formatting it. if that doesn't fix the card ...replace the card...BUY 2 so you have a spare to program...get SANDISK CLASS 4 cards, 2, 4, 8 and 16gb work, whichever of those that are the cheapest is what you should buy, Amazon has them.

eyes00only

The only card I have is a new 32 GB and I want to use it for music. I'll be home all day tomorrow so I'll try some things. My old GRE PSR500 will work where I'm going but it doesn't record.

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
The only card I have is a new 32 GB and I want to use it for music. I'll be home all day tomorrow so I'll try some things. My old GRE PSR500 will work where I'm going but it doesn't record.
Not all cards are compatible...the ones I recommended are.

n4jri

Premium Subscriber
Once you get the Micro SD card back in order, take Wackyracer's advice and just start a new V-Scanner folder with whatever you currently want to listen to. You can also set any of the 200 V-scanner folders to be the 'Default' which comes up every time you power up the radio. There's no need to mess with the card at all. EZ Scan will let you clear out or delete any of your stuff with ease--and with up to 200 V-scanner folders, you really don't need to delete anything.

If you're exploring for new stuff to listen to, I've had a lot of success in programming my own 'service searches' into various scanlists and letting the thing just run and record. A couple of those scanlists involve frequencies included in off-the-shelf walkie talkies that no one bothers to license, and 'test freqs' from cheap Chinese radios that no one bothers to reprogram--let alone license.

Using that method, you can search all sorts of categories at the same time, have unlimited lockouts, and label your finds in the radio.

MS Excel is a handy companion for that activity.

And once again, there's enough room on your card and in your radio that you can try a number of things without having to eliminate something else.

73/Allen (N4JRI)

eyes00only

Once you get the Micro SD card back in order, take Wackyracer's advice and just start a new V-Scanner folder with whatever you currently want to listen to. You can also set any of the 200 V-scanner folders to be the 'Default' which comes up every time you power up the radio. There's no need to mess with the card at all. EZ Scan will let you clear out or delete any of your stuff with ease--and with up to 200 V-scanner folders, you really don't need to delete anything.

If you're exploring for new stuff to listen to, I've had a lot of success in programming my own 'service searches' into various scanlists and letting the thing just run and record. A couple of those scanlists involve frequencies included in off-the-shelf walkie talkies that no one bothers to license, and 'test freqs' from cheap Chinese radios that no one bothers to reprogram--let alone license.

Using that method, you can search all sorts of categories at the same time, have unlimited lockouts, and label your finds in the radio.

MS Excel is a handy companion for that activity.

And once again, there's enough room on your card and in your radio that you can try a number of things without having to eliminate something else.

73/Allen (N4JRI)
Before everything got encrypted I was very proficient on EZ Scan but just forgot everything. My current card was full before I took it out and reformatted it to FAT32 but it didn't work. My original question was just how to wipe the SD card and start from scratch. Looking on Amazon now and can't even find a 4Gb card. I'll get a 16Gb one.

eyes00only

Hopefully the last time I ask. Have a new 16gb Class four SD card.
Do I need to 'Prepare Scanner Memory / SD card for use OR simply do 'New Configuration'?
I would think the card needs some Whistler files to begin with but I've never done this before.
I hope to try this tonight or tomorrow.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Hopefully the last time I ask. Have a new 16gb Class four SD card.
Do I need to 'Prepare Scanner Memory / SD card for use OR simply do 'New Configuration'?
I would think the card needs some Whistler files to begin with but I've never done this before.
I hope to try this tonight or tomorrow.
You should use the 'Prepare Scanner Memory/SD Card for use' option on the drop-down Scanner/SD Card menu to get the card set up for use. That will set the basic structure of the card with folders for the configuration to use. Once you do that, then you can select 'Copy Configuration to Scanner/Memory card' to load your chosen settings and resume scanning.

eyes00only

You should use the 'Prepare Scanner Memory/SD Card for use' option on the drop-down Scanner/SD Card menu to get the card set up for use. That will set the basic structure of the card with folders for the configuration to use. Once you do that, then you can select 'Copy Configuration to Scanner/Memory card' to load your chosen settings and resume scanning.
Thanks, some said just to do New Configuration but I thought it had to be prepared. I'll give it a try in the morning with my coffee.