state agencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

kc9cra

I got curious and looked at the uls for licenses below 25 mhz. I limited my search to active licenses, so I wouldn't have to deal with those that expired ages ago. I found a lot of states who's police departments still have active licenses at about 2 mhz. What are these for? Is it possibly a bank of regional hf channels so the state police can coordinate throughout the whole state during a big time emergency? I understand Alaska, because they are huge and mostly rural and oceanic, but there's Nevada, Michigin, Florida, Texas, Washington and so-on.

SCPD

QRT
Thanks for that list, nd5y. Some of these frequencies were quite active during the sputtering hurricane that hit DC and the NYC areas.

ScannerWayne

KC9CRA,

Interesting. After reading yours and ND5Y posts I duplicated your search for the state of Alabama; where I live. I confirmed the data from the licenses with the data from the SECURE info in the RR wiki then took a look at the location of the antennas in my town.

Can't make out much from the Sat photos, but I am familier with the location and will have to go by and take a look at the facility. I don't recall seeing any HF antennas last time I was out that way. The space is very limited and would guess that would have to use verticals. But interesting enough to make a trip to that side of town and see what I can see.

Wayne (N4SZY)

Klentathu

Premium Subscriber
I know the answer to the question was already given, but are you sure it was MHz and not GHz....K band RADAR is around 1.2 GHz and X band RADAR is around 2.1 GHz....and to be legal, the law enforcement agencies (including state agencies) must have a license to transmit. Its a great way to get out of a ticket to ask to see a certified copy of the agency's FCC license for the RADAR device.

nd5y

I know the answer to the question was already given, but are you sure it was MHz and not GHz....K band RADAR is around 1.2 GHz and X band RADAR is around 2.1 GHz....and to be legal, the law enforcement agencies (including state agencies) must have a license to transmit. Its a great way to get out of a ticket to ask to see a certified copy of the agency's FCC license for the RADAR device.

Where did you come up with those frequencies?
X band is 7-12 GHz and K band is 18-27 GHz.

Any public safety licensee that holds a Part 90 land mobile license does NOT need a separate license for speed radar.

Last edited:

W2RKJ

20 years or so ago we had wireless call boxes covering the whole municipality that were on a lower frequency that was for a fire notification system. They sent a burst to two receivers at the PD., once received the location number was read according to the chart and the FD was dispatched. In this day of cell phones this is real old technology but I have seen the same type poles and boxes on toll roads within the last few years and I recall wondering if that old system was still in use. As I recall all of the schools, sewer stations had these transmitters too. The sewer stations were used when an alarm was needed when the flow wasn't right. Those transmitters were licensed to the municipality. It's hard to tell what frequencies are for these days and what applications. I also know municipalities are notorious for not keeping up with their licenses and phone lines for that matter. I know of a town that had been paying for leased phone lines for years for call boxes that had been taken out of service 20 years prior.

Status
Not open for further replies.