Still cant get win 10 to connect to BC 396XT with Pro scan

Status
Not open for further replies.

SABER3

Saber3
Premium Subscriber
Im running win 10 on a Dell & still cant get it to connect to my 396XT. Bought a new cable with a new chip in it from Amazon that was recommended here by someone and software says ports; none. Search for new ports box does nothing. WTF is going on? heres error message i get when i go into Drivers tab:

The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)
There are no compatible drivers for this device.
To find a driver for this device, click Update Driver.
of course when i do that it just loops me back. Win 10 said it set cable up, it shows under under other devices in the widows device manager as FT232R UART. Im out $$ so thats the last time i ever do that again.

Any help appreciated. Ive never had a computer program refuse to even recognize a device on a port.

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
Got a link to the cable you purchased? Sounds like you just need to get the driver from the manufacturer. Win10 can be a little hateful with drivers sometimes.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Im running win 10 on a Dell & still cant get it to connect to my 396XT. Bought a new cable with a new chip in it from Amazon that was recommended here by someone and software says ports; none. Search for new ports box does nothing. WTF is going on? heres error message i get when i go into Drivers tab:

The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)
There are no compatible drivers for this device.
To find a driver for this device, click Update Driver.
of course when i do that it just loops me back. Win 10 said it set cable up, it shows under under other devices in the widows device manager as FT232R UART. Im out $$ so thats the last time i ever do that again.

Any help appreciated. Ive never had a computer program refuse to even recognize a device on a port.
Unless Windows device manager shows the cable as installed properly and has assigned a COMPORT number to the cable, you won't get any software to connect to it. You need to have the correct drivers for that specific cable properly installed first. What brand cable did you get? can you post a link to where you purchased it?

SABER3

Saber3
Premium Subscriber
Unless Windows device manager shows the cable as installed properly and has assigned a COMPORT number to the cable, you won't get any software to connect to it. You need to have the correct drivers for that specific cable properly installed first. What brand cable did you get? can you post a link to where you purchased it?

EZSync.504 is what it says on the USB end. has 2 leds which flash when i plug it in, windows makes the noise when it connects. thats it. cable was on a link in another forum on RR specd as good for Win10. i tried my HP-2 and that worked fine on the plain jane usb cable for it.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
After the driver is installed and working then check the scanner PC Control if it show Off or is set to a baud rate. 115200 bps is recommended.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
EZSync.504 is what it says on the USB end. has 2 leds which flash when i plug it in, windows makes the noise when it connects. thats it. cable was on a link in another forum on RR specd as good for Win10. i tried my HP-2 and that worked fine on the plain jane usb cable for it.
That should be an FTDI based cable. Your mention of FT232R earlier also indicates an FTDI based cable.

Go here: Virtual COM Port Drivers

Download and extract the appropriate 32 or 64 bit Windows driver from the FTDI website link above. It will probably be the x64 version but should warn you its wrong when you try to install it. If that happens, the x86 driver may be the correct one.

Go to device manager where you saw it say the drivers are not installed. Find the option to install or update drivers and when prompted to select a location for the drivers, point it at the folder you extracted the files to that you downloaded earlier.
They should install without any bad warnings. After that, a new com port should be available. Make note of the port number that was assigned.
After you see the new com port with a port number, look in the scanners menu and make sure the settings for the serial port are set like @ProScan mentioned in the post above. You should be good to go at this point but make sure you tell ProScan to use the new port number that showed up and also make sure the speed setting in ProScan matches the speed you set in the scanner menu.
ProScan's auto detect routine should also work at this point as well as long as your 396 is connected to the cable and cable connected to computer and the 396 is turned on.

Last edited:

SABER3

Saber3
Premium Subscriber
That should be an FTDI based cable. Your mention of FT232R earlier also indicates an FTDI based cable.

Go here: Virtual COM Port Drivers

Download and extract the appropriate 32 or 64 bit Windows driver from the FTDI website link above. It will probably be the x64 version but should warn you its wrong when you try to install it. If that happens, the x86 driver may be the correct one.

Go to device manager where you saw it say the drivers are not installed. Find the option to install or update drivers and when prompted to select a location for the drivers, point it at the folder you extracted the files to that you downloaded earlier.
They should install without any bad warnings. After that, a new com port should be available. Make note of the port number that was assigned.
After you see the new com port with a port number, look in the scanners menu and make sure the settings for the serial port are set like @ProScan mentioned in the post above. You should be good to go at this point but make sure you tell ProScan to use the new port number that showed up and also make sure the speed setting in ProScan matches the speed you set in the scanner menu.
ProScan's auto detect routine should also work at this point as well as long as your 396 is connected to the cable and cable connected to computer and the 396 is turned on.

problem solved. For some reason the virus protection that came with this Dell wasnt letting the Driver software thru its firewall. A trip to the EZSynch site, manually download & install the file and it works. But id i want to run my HP-2 and the 396XT, either one or the other gets the port. The HP-2 just has a generic USB to mini USB on the HP-2 side. So evidently Win10 wants to see some sort of software with ANY cable before it allows a port to be assigned. If im wrong im open to suggestions about solving this problem.

TY for all the help.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
problem solved. For some reason the virus protection that came with this Dell wasnt letting the Driver software thru its firewall. A trip to the EZSynch site, manually download & install the file and it works. But id i want to run my HP-2 and the 396XT, either one or the other gets the port. The HP-2 just has a generic USB to mini USB on the HP-2 side. So evidently Win10 wants to see some sort of software with ANY cable before it allows a port to be assigned. If im wrong im open to suggestions about solving this problem.

TY for all the help.
The cable and HP-2 both have the serial controller inside the cables shell or for the HP-2, inside the HP-2's housing.

For the ports to be listed and visible, the cable and the HP-2 would both need to be hooked up to the computer.
They should both get port numbers assigned that are unique. You can certainly use both at the same time as they have different port numbers.

You don't need any software running for a port to be active and available under Device Manager, you just need the cable plugged into the computer or the HP-2 plugged into the computer and powered on. The cable gets its power from the computer so it will always be powered when it's plugged into the computer. The HP-2 needs the radio to be turned on before its serial port chipset is available to the operating system.
The port's chipsets are inside the cable or inside the HP-2 like said earlier so yes, if you unplug those devices, their corresponding ports will disappear from Device Manager's view that you see. They will come back as soon as you plug them in again and should keep the same port numbers.
Of course the appropriate drivers need to be installed but that's a one time thing that should not need to be done again unless you remove the driver.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.