Stopping Violation on a Bicycle in California

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mick

No points assigned

Per the DMV your bicycle ticket does not assign you a point on your driving record:

"Any violation occurring as a pedestrian or a bicyclist has no point assigned."

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/dl/vioptct.htm

Wow.....................
I'm surprised by all the comments about it.
So the Ticket could be between $146 and $220 ?
I still have not heard or figured out if it goes towards your driving Record.
On one website I read in California a bicycle does not count as a Vehicle ?

By the way it not happen to me, It happen to a friend of mine.
He just was wondering and asking the same question as I doing here.
Also he was told the Ticked would be mailed to him, so he has no idea how much it would be and If it would go on his driving Record

SCPD

QRT
So any kamikaze bicycle riding is illegal and you will be held responsible for breaking any vehicular laws pertaining in the state/county/city you are riding in. I still can't help it sometimes.

Bob

The answer to your question is no. You stated that "any . . . bicycle riding is illegal," with the missing text being "kamikaze." I'm not sure how you define "kamikaze" but the Japanese defined in one way in WWII and I don't think you meant it that way. The key word in your question is "any" and the the answer is no, the vehicle code only applies to public streets and highways. On private land absent of such streets and highways bicycling may be conducted in any manner, except if it is not at the permission of the landowner, and would then be considered trespass.

I'm not sure what you mean by " I still can't help it sometimes." I would guess you disagree with having the laws pertaining to bicycling enforced.

trooperdude

Database Admin
Per the DMV your bicycle ticket does not assign you a point on your driving record:

"Any violation occurring as a pedestrian or a bicyclist has no point assigned."

That's really too bad. It should.

I'm tired of scraping these people off of the roadway who think the laws of the road (or physics) do not apply to them.

ind224

wow

Here in Indiana part of our "green thinking" is to use the old railroad right of ways as bike/ running paths. They are paved and at each intersection with a street is a sign indicating bikes yield to pedestrians and ALL must stop before crossing the road.

So here is the (not so) funny part. Even the police in marked cars come to a stop on the street with no sign, for no reason and wave the folks that are riding or walking and are supposed to stop across, and then proceed. Those with college vanity plates (IU, Purdue and Ball State) think this is the right thing to do in bar fly Broad Ripple with turn signal "optional" yes, this call is THAT important Lexus BMW and Hummer.

Is that logical from either a legal or physics standpoint?

Back to topic, I have never seen a Indiana police officer stop a bike for anything unless they matched a description. I ride according to our rules that being a bike is a vehicle and obeys all traffic laws including lights at night.

Status
Not open for further replies.