Stormwise

Status
Not open for further replies.

lanbergld

My experience with Stormwise products are their "monster" rods. I wind my own, just buy the rod. For what it may be worth, yes, the monster rods make a huge difference. I use them all different ways, direct connection and inductive coupling. As long as you dont mind spending the extra money I can pretty much guarantee you'll be pleased with the results.

Larry

k9rzz

If you've got money to burn, they probably work as well as any loop. You can easily build your own box loop for a ton less and use the extra cash for something else. I hung a 4 turn loop, 8 ft on a side between two trees, fed it with window line, and had a kick *** antenna for MW and LW for about $20 in parts.

Here's an interesting discussion of their antennas: http://theradioboard.com/rb/viewtopic.php?p=21004

Last edited:

Boombox

The Stormwise antennas look very interesting. They look like they're versatile and built like tanks. Never heard of those before.

But $140 for an AM antenna, although the antenna may be worth the money (???), that's a bit of money.

You could save money -- get some wire (junk box, or Radio Shack) and a plastic milk crate (about $7 at the local box store), order a tuning capacitor online, and build a loop that works well (about 20-30 turns around a 1.5 ft box crate seems to work -- cut the wire shorter if it doesn't tune the whole AM band) -- all for a small fraction of that $140. Just my 2 cents worth.

I built a box crate loop, works great.

And then there are the AM loops you can buy retail or online, a lot of MW DXers swear by them. I've seen one at Fry's (the Eton loop) that goes for about $25.

ab3a

You can use litz wire, but, really, unless you're trying to build the super duper antenna for LF reception, don't worry.

Buld a loop antenna using either an air variable or Polycon variable scrounged from an old radio and some old coaxial cable. Tune it. place your sense antenna in the field of the tuned circuit and enjoy.

Look for WBZ in Boston, WLS in Chicago, WMAL in DC, WABC in NYC, WSM in Nashville and so forth. These stations are so powerful that you'll hear them without difficulty in most radios at night --without much of an antenna.

And gosh, if you can't hear those stations, then things must be so dire that it would be wise to hunker down and hide.

Status
Not open for further replies.