Straight to Extra?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kjvonly1611

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

I've been interested in Amateur Radio for quite some time and am seriously considering jumping in the pool. Everything I do I do to the max so I'm wanting to jump straight to Extra. Now I realize I have to take and pass all three tests in order to do this. My brain is a technical brain so I'm positive I could do this... but now the problem:

Studying and study aids. I really like the ARRL books and have read many positive reviews on them. There are the three books for the three tests... What I'm looking for is ONE book/software/website/etc.... for ALL 3 tests. Does this exist because I flat out can't afford $90+shipping for books right now?

Any help would be appreciated.

Chris

canav844

I haven't seen one yet, but if it did exist I suspect it would be priced right around $60. I passed my Extra studying from $3 outdated books, then practice tests off the current pool, then tested and passed 1st try. It's more important that you learn and understand concepts and rules than have the newest book. The Tech test however, that is more rules based, apparently is drastically changed. Also scope out area hamfests, see if someone has one going for cheap since they had passed.

Everything you NEED can be had for free, print and read FCC part 97, download and read through the question pool, make a list of areas you need to study then go to the library and read up on the electronics side of things (many libraries have ARRL test books for various years, ARRL handbooks and just about all have books on electronic theory and physics). And I believe the Laurel VEC even offers their tests free of charge.

Aim high but if you need to take any level of the tests more than once don't get too discouraged, just keep challenging yourself, often times if you test the VEs are connect to a local club or group that can help to "elmer" you along the way.

divemaster500

I do not believe a book like this exists- iI looked and could not find one. I am using the No-Nonsense Study Guide for the General (I used the No-Nonsense Technical Study Guide for the Tech exam). I found these online for FREE and the first guide enabled me to score 34 out of 35 on the Trchnical exam. Additionally, I took the practice exams on EHam.

Best of luck in this endeavor!

kjvonly1611

Premium Subscriber
Awesome advice guys. I just downloaded a copy of Part 97 and the Tech and General no-nonsense study guides.. and will be digging in :D

I already (just for giggles) took the tech practice test on eHam.net and barely passed it without a nickles worth of studying so these resources should help greatly... With these for free I'd gladly spend the $30 for the extra book.

Thanks again guys.

Chris

Hello,

I've been interested in Amateur Radio for quite some time and am seriously considering jumping in the pool. Everything I do I do to the max so I'm wanting to jump straight to Extra. Now I realize I have to take and pass all three tests in order to do this. My brain is a technical brain so I'm positive I could do this... but now the problem:

Studying and study aids. I really like the ARRL books and have read many positive reviews on them. There are the three books for the three tests... What I'm looking for is ONE book/software/website/etc.... for ALL 3 tests. Does this exist because I flat out can't afford $90+shipping for books right now?

Any help would be appreciated.

Chris

I do not believe you have to take all three tests.

But really since it does not cost any more to take the next test on the same day once you pass one, you might as well take them all so you don't leave empty handed.

If you want to just "learn the test" I recommend QRZ, take the practice tests (under resources) over and over until you can consistently score 85% or better.

Also I believe the extra class test changes this July, so get moving...:lol:

Last edited:

LtDoc

If you want the 'Extra' then you do have to pass the 'Tech' and 'General' class exams first. No way around that.
If you want all the information required in one 'chunk' then you probably did it the easiest/cheapest way possible, down load that Part-97 question pool. (Or the same thing for any of the licenses, amateur or commercial. They're all there. Buy -lots- of paper!)
- 'Doc

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Yeah, the books come separately but frankly there's no point in buying them all at once because pouring all that into your brain all at once is like standing downriver when the dam breaks. You can take all the tests in the same session IF you have VEs with a lot of time on their hands to sit around waiting for you. I passed the Tech 100% in 15 minutes while standing on my head but the Extra takes time and sure isn't easy.

Take your time, take it easy, the bands aren't going anywhere. To put it another way, we're all bozos on the bus so relax and enjoy the ride.

N9HQ

Premium Subscriber
I hate to say this, since "print is dead", but your local library may be able to help. I am a VE and have only had the pleasure of administering all three exams in one sitting to one person. Yes, he passed all three with flying colors. As I recall he was an engineer. Good luck!

kjvonly1611

Premium Subscriber
Just to let ya'll know. Took Element 2 this am and aced it in 15 minutes, Took Element 3 and passed it in 25 minutes... Then I got to the monster... The Element 4 Extra exam, ya know the one that has teeth :)

Well, to make a long story short I had 15-20 of my "problem questions" on that stinking test so it took almost an hour but when all was said and done I PASSED!!! First try.

The examiners said it's been a while since somebody came in and passed all 3 in a row. I got 103 out of all 120 questions right so my average was almost a 86%

Either way, I'm just waiting for my license and call sign to show up in the ULS!

Thanks everybody for your suggestions!

Chris

LtDoc

Good for you!
If you want to bad enough, and if you're willing to put in the time and effort, getting all of them in one shot isn't impossible at all.
- 'Doc

(Psst - now start on the GROL! Why not?)

ab3a

Congratulations for passing.

As the examiner told me after I passed my instrument rating check-ride: You now have a license to learn on your own. This especially goes for activities that could require significant RF power, such as EME, Troposcatter, and Medium wave contacts.

Good Luck!

KC0KM

Congrats from me as well.

Awhile back on the Mythbusters Message Board, there where a few of us who where hams. One other guy, who at one time had his ticket, and had let it expire, decided to go back and try for it again. The advice I had given him was, Take the Tech test, if you pass it, take the General. If you pass your General, try for the Extra - if you pass -- Faint.

Well -- he did it, he too took all three and one shot. Also, not long ago here in the Kansas City area, we had someone pass all three. You should be proud, it is quite an accomplishment to pass all three at one time.

(BTW we do hold a "informal" MB net -- mostly Sunday at 7:00 CDT and/or CT on 7.181 -- give or take, check the MB message boards for more info)

John599nj

Premium Subscriber
That brings back memories for when I took my Extra I first passed the Theory no problem. Then the nightmare begins 3 months of studying code to pass the 20 wpm. Now you have to become a VE to help other hams. Congrats

Status
Not open for further replies.