Stream to Blackberry 8330

Status
Not open for further replies.

kg4pbd

I finally managed to get a stream that works with my Blackberry. I'm using WM encoder to create the feed on my server, then I pull the feed using Orb (www.orb.com).

From there I just open the browser on my BB and navigate to my Orb page. The stream opens up in the BB's media player. I have text tags and audio. Works great!

bonus1331

So does this mean, no more having to carry a scanner mobile?
Can you answer a phone call or email without interrupting the stream?

kg4pbd

It interrupts it for the duration of the call, then you can resume.

Problem is, I still can't hold on a talkgroup, turn on another system.....etc.
It won't replace my HH but it's fun to make it work!

I was at the Panthers game last night, I had set the spec events and central div talkgroups before I left the house. That's probably the best part, no one looks twice at a cell phone.

manross

I finally managed to get a stream that works with my Blackberry. I'm using WM encoder to create the feed on my server, then I pull the feed using Orb (www.orb.com).

From there I just open the browser on my BB and navigate to my Orb page. The stream opens up in the BB's media player. I have text tags and audio. Works great!

Who do you have your service through? I'm with Verizon and have been told they do not allow streaming audio on my 8330. I've tried and can't listen. Does this circumvent this?? Boy I hope so, but will probably be disappointed with the answer you'll give. Damn Verizon!!!

Marty

kg4pbd

I'm not sure why a Verizon CS would tell you that.....actually Verizon isn't the problem other than they have yet to upgrade the OS for the 8330 to 4.5. My provider is Verizon and I have 4.3 on my 8330.

I believe the newest OS will allow direct streaming.

In the interim you can listen to certain streams encoded in a website. I'm not an expert on the technical side of how/when that works but I can tell you what works for me for now:

Create an account at Orb. Once you've done that link your existing Windows Media Encoder stream to your Orb account as a webcam. Then you navigate to Orb in your Blackberry browser and click on the webcam stream. It will open up in media player.

Unfortunately you can't easily share it to other blackberry users. The only way I can do it is to log into my personal (rather than the public) Orb page. You can use the permacode from the scanner stream to create a blog on your public page that others can listen to however that route won't work from your blackberry.

manross

I'm not sure why a Verizon CS would tell you that.....actually Verizon isn't the problem other than they have yet to upgrade the OS for the 8330 to 4.5. My provider is Verizon and I have 4.3 on my 8330.

I believe the newest OS will allow direct streaming.

In the interim you can listen to certain streams encoded in a website. I'm not an expert on the technical side of how/when that works but I can tell you what works for me for now:

Create an account at Orb. Once you've done that link your existing Windows Media Encoder stream to your Orb account as a webcam. Then you navigate to Orb in your Blackberry browser and click on the webcam stream. It will open up in media player.

Unfortunately you can't easily share it to other blackberry users. The only way I can do it is to log into my personal (rather than the public) Orb page. You can use the permacode from the scanner stream to create a blog on your public page that others can listen to however that route won't work from your blackberry.

Whew I'll try following your instructions and see if it works. I'm trying to listen to the Scan Denver site http://co.scanamerica.us/index.php?county=El Paso When I first got my BB I tried and it wouldn't work. On the BB forum found that Verizon didn't include streaming in the OS (like you said). I was peode. Hopefully they will upgrade the OS soon, but in the meantime I'll try your work around. Thank you very much for the info. I'll report back here which ever way it turns out, in case someone else is trying the same thing.

Marty

Status
Not open for further replies.