Streaming through proxy server

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrlindstrom

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know of any streaming server that will work through a proxy? ScannerCast and RadioFeed both do not support this, but is there any generic Icecast client that would?

W2PMX

If you're talking about a proxy out on the internet, that depends on the proxy, not on the stream. Most of them won't proxy a stream - audio or video - because the bandwidth needed would cost them too much.

If you're talking about a SOCKS proxy, they all do.

If you're talking about an internet proxy on your network, talk to your system administrator.

As W2PMX said, it depends on the proxy. Please describe your proxy in detail. What kind of special proxy settings do you use for your web browser?

I can't really think of any reason anyone would be using one unless you are trying to hide your IP. In reality you don't need to because anyone connecting to your stream would not see your IP as RR is takign your feed and hosting it on their servers so RR is all any listener would see as the stream source.

mrlindstrom

Premium Subscriber
I got it working finally. I am running Microsoft TMG in order to properly route traffic to my web servers and had installed the TMG client on my streaming computer. For some reason this was blocking the software from working properly even on the second ports (8000, 8080, 8500). TMG is still blocking port 80 since it is not true HTTP traffic being routed, but it is working if I manually configure it to use 8000. Thanks all.

I have never used MS-TMG but it seems to me that an easier and really the proper way is to do this at the router level. Unless of course you feel the need for the type of threat management that TMG provides...

Besides providing a feed to RR I host my feed directly and a website for it from my home LAN. I use a Linksys WRT54G with DD-WRT firmware to port forward ports 80, 8000 and 8010 to my stream/web server.

mrlindstrom

Premium Subscriber
TMG allows me to have all my domains pointed to 1 IP (since that is all I have from my ISP) and be able to inspect what address they are going to and route it to the appropriate server inside my network. IE:

Public domain <- pub IP -> Firwall <- local server ip
www.blah-fake.com <- 1.2.3.4 -> TMG <- server1.local
www.derp-fake.com <- 1.2.3.4 -> TMG <- server2.local

TMG allows me to have all my domains pointed to 1 IP (since that is all I have from my ISP) and be able to inspect what address they are going to and route it to the appropriate server inside my network. IE:

Public domain <- pub IP -> Firwall <- local server ip
www.blah-fake.com <- 1.2.3.4 -> TMG <- server1.local
www.derp-fake.com <- 1.2.3.4 -> TMG <- server2.local

Ah, I see...

I use DynDNS, but I am only hosting one domain so I am not sure how it would handle two.

mrlindstrom

Premium Subscriber
I use dyndns as well and it would handle multiple domains just fine if they were hosted on the same box, but when you have separate web servers is where tmg comes in to play.

webstar22

RenfrewCountyScanner.com
Feed Provider
And you cannot just forward incoming port 80 traffic to TMG and leave your other traffic unmolested?

Kinda odd your have to proxy up your workstation due to a server setup.

W2PMX

I use dyndns as well and it would handle multiple domains just fine if they were hosted on the same box, but when you have separate web servers is where tmg comes in to play.
Dydns gives you the IP address translation from the world to your external IP. Your router gives you the IP address translation from your external IP to your internal box. I can feed separate requests to 65,535 individual servers without using a product like TMG. (Logically - physically that will have to wait until we have much faster routers - and internet speeds.) TMG seems to be just a huge (too huge) filter for the totally paranoid, built on the usual "we know what's best for you, so don't look too closely" MS philosophy.

Status
Not open for further replies.