Streaming tv?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rapidcharger

So what's the difference?

My understanding is that it brings some of the streaming content to televisions that would otherwise have snow and an endless loop of commercials for personal injury lawyers.:D

I have late model smart tvs that have all the apps and stuff but if a ROKU can be used in conjuntion with an external hard drive to pause/rewind live tv I 'm definitely interested in having that.
It sucks that the TVs that I have have a built in feature that lets you pause and record to an external hard drive, even a thumb drive. The remotes even have a pause and record button and you can schedule when things are to record to USB through the TV's built in program guide, which is decent and easy to use with one click simplicity. BUT, they have disabled this function for the American market ! :mad: That makes me mad! :mad: All it will do is play content and auto-tune but the record option is missing.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
So what did you decide?
Reducing your plan to basic might still be very expensive- it is here anyway, same provider, but it should give you access to the same channels on Xfinity to go, which can be used to watch on mobile devices.
The thing is, a lot of the basic channels also but their programming online after some time. And if they dont, if youre willing to wait until the series is released on dvd or streaming rental, you can just buy the whole season or certain episodes without having to subscribe to cable.
Being in a condo, you may not be able to use an external antenna to get local channels if you need to though.

I cut the cord - almost. I kept the limited basic option (I'm on the first floor of a condo and surrounded by trees - scenic, but horrible for digital TV....) to keep the big networks, and am using my Amazon Fire a lot more.

If Comcast would stop fxxxxing around with the network speed (I understand that being in a condo, you're using a shared resource, but this is ridiculous...) I would be much happier. But Fire does just about everything I need, and my bill is almost USD80 cheaper. Now I'm just wavering to decide which of the services - Netflix, Hulu or Sling TV - I want to get. Even with just one of them, I'm still saving bucks.

Mike

rapidcharger

Cool! I'm kinda reluctant to sign up for any service with a paid subscription fee. I'd rather pay for the content that I want and nothing else. Some of those are just too much like cable or satellite and I would fully expect the same horsefish billing games eventually.
Besides breaking free from cable is only part of the equation. The other part is breaking free of the networks and studios. They both want to make you feel dependent on their offerings.

sent via tapatalk on a mobile device.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Remember you get what you pay for. There are some free apps, to be sure, but what I consider the big 3 - Sling, Netflix and Hulu - have rather different audiences. To an extent, Sling has that 'cable' type of feel (you do get channels that you might not really be interested in), but you do have the option of HBO (on Sling) or Showtime (on Hulu, which is much less 'cable').

Really it's a matter, to me, of personal preference. The only thing I really miss is BBC America which has a couple of shows - besides The Doctor - I watch on a semi-regular basis. However I can get Doctor Who on VUDU, which is on my Android tablet. Now if I can only find a casting app that will work with Fire....Mike

rapidcharger

Remember you get what you pay for. There are some free apps, to be sure, but what I consider the big 3 - Sling, Netflix and Hulu - have rather different audiences. To an extent, Sling has that 'cable' type of feel (you do get channels that you might not really be interested in), but you do have the option of HBO (on Sling) or Showtime (on Hulu, which is much less 'cable').

Really it's a matter, to me, of personal preference. The only thing I really miss is BBC America which has a couple of shows - besides The Doctor - I watch on a semi-regular basis. However I can get Doctor Who on VUDU, which is on my Android tablet. Now if I can only find a casting app that will work with Fire....Mike

There are a couple of shows on the Beeb that I watch/ed. (One of them was top gear) The Top Gear trio is getting a show on Amazon Prime and I fully intend to buy a digital rental of that series if they allow me to do so. But I'm not going to sign up for prime at a hundred dollars a year.

By the way, that's pretty much how I'm watching the shows now that I always watched before. Buy them on Amazon . You can buy a season pass and watch them as they come available. Best of all, I can do all that from my remote control. I don't need to do any screen mirrroring or watch it on a mobile device (although I could if I wanted to). I can buy a season pass for 3 or 4 or 5 different tv shows for less than a month of cable. That's really all I need. And those are purchases! So you own it and can download it and watch it a tent in the middle of the woods on your ipad without any wifi.

Status
Not open for further replies.