Stridsberg Multicouplers (Amplified)

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Considering "Stridsberg's" products only, (not interested in Mini-Circuits ETC)

I've owned a Stridsberg MCA204M 4-Port multicoupler with preamp built in in the past. I used it on a DPD Production's MilTenna Omni UHF/VHF Base Antenna to feed two scanners for VHF/UHF aircraft and it worked great! Low noise and substantially increased signal without causing overload.

1602798975807.png

Now I'm considering a similar amplified multicoupler for Michigan's MPSCS simulcast system. I was going to buy another MCA204M (25 MHz to 1 GHz), but then I noticed they also have a MCA804/B model that might be better suited. However it is only rated for 830-910MHz, where MPSCS falls approximately into the 760-860MHz. So it appears the MCA804/B goes does not go down into the mid 700MHz spectrum where the MCA204M does. What would be the pros & cons of both?

1602799267351.png

prcguy

If there are no specs below 830Mhz then nobody knows until its tested. It could have a band pass filter or ??

Considering "Stridsberg's" products only, (not interested in Mini-Circuits ETC)

I've owned a Stridsberg MCA204M 4-Port multicoupler with preamp built in in the past. I used it on a DPD Production's MilTenna Omni UHF/VHF Base Antenna to feed two scanners for VHF/UHF aircraft and it worked great! Low noise and substantially increased signal without causing overload.

View attachment 92794

Now I'm considering a similar amplified multicoupler for Michigan's MPSCS simulcast system. I was going to buy another MCA204M (25 MHz to 1 GHz), but then I noticed they also have a MCA804/B model that might be better suited. However it is only rated for 830-910MHz, where MPSCS falls approximately into the 760-860MHz. So it appears the MCA804/B goes does not go down into the mid 700MHz spectrum where the MCA204M does. What would be the pros & cons of both?

View attachment 92795

Ubbe

It says bandwidth at -3dB for 830-910Mhz so it must be a bandpass filter in that amplifier.

One strange thing are that the noise figure seems to be the same 3,5dB as is in Stridbergs other multicoupler but the P1 are 3dB worse and the IP3 5dB worse, which are always measured at the output of a device. Which means that the bandpass filter sits after the amplification, or the amplifier use a new amplification component that have worse P1 and IP3 than in their other multicouplers?

If the filter sits at the input and it has some attenuation, maybe 1-2dB, it would give a higher noise figure and the P1 and IP3 would be higher with about the same dB as the filter attenuates. So it has to be a new amplifier component with a lower noise figure of 1-2dB but with a much worse IP1 and IP3. Why cant they use a high quality $5 component instead of a 50cent one.

/Ubbe

prcguy

Here are two amplifiers from Minicircuits that would make a great home brew multicoupler. I've used the ZX60-1215LN-S on a 900MHz repeater front end with excellent results. Its rated 800 to 1200MHz @ .5dB noise figure but the specs would only be slightly off at 760MHz. The 14.5dB gain is also in a reasonable range for feeding a 4-way divider and you would only need a little attenuation to level things out.

The ZX60-P162LN is rated 700 to 1600Mhz with .5dB noise figure and 22dB of gain. That's a lot of gain but you can attenuate down to give you just a few dB extra out of your divider.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
IMONITOR I know you said STRIDSBERG but look at this mine works as good as my STRIDSBERGS 1 more port for less money it just takes longer to get it..

Interesting. I like that it has BNC connectors. Thats what I don't like about Mini-Circuits stuff, they seem to use SMA on everything. By the time you add all the adapters and connectors cost and loss goes up!

When you say Cross Country takes longer, about how long? Do they supply an AC adapter? How much for shipping?

Thanks

kruser

Premium Subscriber
IMONITOR I know you said STRIDSBERG but look at this mine works as good as my STRIDSBERGS 1 more port for less money it just takes longer to get it..

I've always been interested in this CCW coupler.
The lack of conventional splitters between each port is what interested me the most.
I never did buy one though as my needs were way above five ports when I'd first seen this one plus the frequency range was much less on the high side than what is listed in your link now. The only model they had back then was only rated up to 500 MHz. That turned me off with everything moving to 800 MHz around here. I'm glad to see they offer a much wider band model now.

Have you ever seen an actual noise figure on this CCW coupler? I could not find that spec listed in any of the links about the unit which were all for the old 500 MHz model.

morfis

When you say Cross Country takes longer, about how long? Do they supply an AC adapter? How much for shipping?

Second thread to mention time and CCW this week!

CCW erquipment appears to be well made and work well. I have two Stridsberg active four port devices...both have failed ovee the years but Stridsberg have sent me new MMICs within days of reporting the problem - excellent customer service.
I also use three of the CCW multicouplers. Never had any issue with those but delivery each of those took longer than the Stridsberg units which I bought direct (no UK outlet...no idea if there is now) from the USA.

The CCW units were supplied with pigtails with the moulded power plug (which is what Stridsberg do for UK orders as well) and I doubt that he would supply a local power wart for overseas customers. Shipping - perhaps there is something on the website but the various SARS-Cov2 restrictions seem to have pushed parcel service prices up dramatically over here oveer the past six months.

I know numerous people who use CCW products and almost all have faced the same 'slow' delivery / slow response to e-mail. Maybe it's better now (or maybe it isn't)...can't fault any of the kit I've bought from him over the years (not just the three multicouplers) but the somewhat slow contact delivery is an annoyance.

I might have the spec sheets and test reports for the multicouplers knocking about and if I can find them I'll photograph them.

morfis

addendum - kruser mentions five ports not being enough...in the office we have a couple of rack mount ones supplied by CCW. From memory they are 12 port and made to order.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
I know numerous people who use CCW products and almost all have faced the same 'slow' delivery / slow response to e-mail. Maybe it's better now (or maybe it isn't)...can't fault any of the kit I've bought from him over the years (not just the three multicouplers) but the somewhat slow contact delivery is an annoyance.

I might have the spec sheets and test reports for the multicouplers knocking about and if I can find them I'll photograph them.
A person named Chris Moulding seems to be the CCW man and he is very active on the groups groups.io group website.
Not sure if this direct link to the group will work but give it a try: CrossCountryWireless groups.io Group
I've never chatted with him myself but others that ask questions about their products are usually answered by Chris himself and often within minutes so this may be the best way to contact them.

I think joining the group was instant but it could have required moderator approval also.

morfis

A person named Chris Moulding seems to be the CCW man.....
Correct.
I think joining the group was instant but it could have required moderator approval also.

I think creating an account with some other company and joining a group in the hope of getting a reply from CCW is ridiculous.

Stridsberg are a FAR bigger outfit but their boss manages to reply personally to direct commercail e-mail. Good old-fashioned PROFESSIONAL customer service.... Chris has never provided that to anyone I know.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Correct.

I think creating an account with some other company and joining a group in the hope of getting a reply from CCW is ridiculous.

Stridsberg are a FAR bigger outfit but their boss manages to reply personally to direct commercail e-mail. Good old-fashioned PROFESSIONAL customer service.... Chris has never provided that to anyone I know.
Yep, John Stridsberg is one of the good guys! When I accidentally keyed up a two meter rig into the output of either a preamp or multicoupler (I forget which) that he sold, I called him and we spoke on the phone. He sent me a few new RF amp transistors for free. You can't beat that kind of customer service. It's hard to find that kind of customer service these days.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
It would be really nice if the manufactures would show pictures of the internals. It's not like it's a secret. I'd just to see how well they're constructed. With regards to gain, I don't require much, just enough to overcome the losses from the coupling, fittings and jumpers.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Correct.

I can attest different. I was replied to questions answered by email in a very acceptable time frame.

RMW1010

I can attest different. I was replied to questions answered by email in a very acceptable time frame.
+1
My experience with Chris and the CCW multicoupler is very positive.
Works like a charm, build quality is good and communication with Chris was very good.
I had some custom requests and he always replied prompt and friendly.

prcguy

I see the IP3 specs on the CCW multicoupler are good @ 40dBm but I don't see any other important specs like noise figure or 1dB compression.

+1
My experience with Chris and the CCW multicoupler is very positive.
Works like a charm, build quality is good and communication with Chris was very good.
I had some custom requests and he always replied prompt and friendly.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
I’m with @prcguy. Until someone posts up the actual specs, you really can’t make an informed decision of how it may or may not work in your environment.

prcguy

Here is something for the OP and his need for an 800Mhz range amplified multicoupler. I ran across a great price on an amplifier that is better than most and at a giveaway price. Minicircuits 600 to 1100MHz, about 19dB gain, .55dB noise figure, 1dB compression of 19dBm and an IP3 of 34-35dBm for $14.99. I just bought two to replace a preamp in a 900MHz repeater here and this preamp and a good splitter will make a fine 800MHz multicoupler.

Status
Not open for further replies.