strobe lights?

Status
Not open for further replies.

twjr80

Feed Provider
As far as I know, they are legal as long as you do not use them while driving. I use a pair of amber strobes in my vehicle for when I am parked off the side of a road or have an emergency situation where I need other drivers to know where I am parked.

You could always check the Texas State Vehicle Code.

Last edited:

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
That is correct, you can possess/install them as long as they are not used while on public roads.

tvsjr

Incorrect. It is illegal to operate a motor vehicle on Texas roadways that has been equipped with red, white, or blue flashing lights, unless explicitly authorized. Amber, green, and purple are legal.

Note that this is the law in Texas. Other states are different.

Source:
TRANSPORTATION CODEÂ Â CHAPTER 547. VEHICLE EQUIPMENT
Sec. 547.305. RESTRICTIONS ON USE OF LIGHTS. (a) A motor vehicle lamp or illuminating device, other than a headlamp, spotlamp, auxiliary lamp, turn signal lamp, or emergency vehicle or school bus warning lamp, that projects a beam with an intensity brighter than 300 candlepower shall be directed so that no part of the high-intensity portion of the beam strikes the roadway at a distance of more than 75 feet from the vehicle.

(b) Except as expressly authorized by law, a person may not operate or move equipment or a vehicle, other than a police vehicle, with a lamp or device that displays a red light visible from directly in front of the center of the equipment or vehicle.

(c) A person may not operate a motor vehicle equipped with a red, white, or blue beacon, flashing, or alternating light unless the equipment is:

(1) used as specifically authorized by this chapter; or

(2) a running lamp, headlamp, taillamp, backup lamp, or turn signal lamp that is used as authorized by law.

(d) A vehicle may be equipped with alternately flashing lighting equipment described by Section 547.701 or 547.702 only if the vehicle is:

(1) a school bus;

(2) an authorized emergency vehicle;

(3) a church bus that has the words "church bus" printed on the front and rear of the bus so as to be clearly discernable to other vehicle operators;

(4) a tow truck while under the direction of a law enforcement officer at the scene of an accident or while hooking up to a disabled vehicle on a roadway; or

(5) a tow truck with a mounted light bar which has turn signals and stop lamps in addition to those required by Sections 547.322, 547.323, and 547.324, Transportation Code.

(e) A person may not operate highway maintenance or service equipment, including snow-removal equipment, that is not equipped with lamps or that does not display lighted lamps as required by the standards and specifications adopted by the Texas Department of Transportation.

(f) In this section "tow truck" means a motor vehicle or mechanical device that is adapted or used to tow, winch, or move a disabled vehicle.

Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995. Amended by Acts 1999, 76th Leg., ch. 380, Sec. 1, eff. July 1, 1999.

Notice that 547.305(c) states "equipped with". Having the lights on the vehicle violates this section of the code - doesn't matter if they are on or off.

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
Incorrect. It is illegal to operate a motor vehicle on Texas roadways...

No, correct. Notice my qualifier of "on public roads." Notice your qualifier also. We've been through this in the past in this forum also.

Notice it says "equipped with" and then defines the colors. The colors he is asking about are not on that list.

Last edited:

tvsjr

No, correct. Notice my qualifier of "on public roads." Notice your qualifier also. We've been through this in the past in this forum also.

Notice it says "equipped with" and then defines the colors. The colors he is asking about are not on that list.

Wow, really? Let's look at his post:
is it illegal to have strobe light on your car clear in front and lights in break lights?
Now, last I checked, a clear strobe tube emits a WHITE light. And a light in your "break lights"? Unless you have ricer-style clear lenses and colored bulbs... guess what, red!

I would read into the OP's post that he would like to install hideaway strobe tubes in his headlights/cornering lights and brake lights. Which would produce red and white light... which, unless specifically authorized by in the transportation code, is illegal equipment while operating on a Texas roadway.

petty4305

Premium Subscriber
in ref. to the brake light strobes.... if you put them in your reverse light area it should be ok. since the reverse light area is clear.

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
I'll "admit" defeat on the colors point, but my qualifier still stands, any color or fashion is fine as long as they don't hit public roads.

That being the case, as a volunteer firefighter I was permitted to use red lights. According to this small citation above, that was illegal, unless specifically authorized elsewhere in that chapter. How many times has someone who wasn't using their strobes, been pulled over and the law enforcement officer inspected, and subsequently cited the driver for, strobe lights installed illegally?

I'm not going to get in any pissing matches here...

I'll "admit" defeat on the colors point, but my qualifier still stands, any color or fashion is fine as long as they don't hit public roads.

That being the case, as a volunteer firefighter I was permitted to use red lights. According to this small citation above, that was illegal, unless specifically authorized elsewhere in that chapter. How many times has someone who wasn't using their strobes, been pulled over and the law enforcement officer inspected, and subsequently cited the driver for, strobe lights installed illegally?

I'm not going to get in any pissing matches here...

The law states an exception for authorized emergency vehicles. Who decides what is authorized in any given jurisdiction? The duly appointed responding agency right? All they have to do is authorize POVs to respond to emergencies in their area.

pjtnascar

Why would you want strobes on your car anyway? You can't use except off road, which I guess would be in your driveway or a parking lot? I think you're just asking for trouble-unless you're a firefighter or something.

tvsjr

in ref. to the brake light strobes.... if you put them in your reverse light area it should be ok. since the reverse light area is clear.

No... a clear strobe tube with a clear lens will generate a WHITE light - which is illegal. If you want to run amber tubes in the clear area, that's fine (but they'll look like crap, cause colored tubes suck).

Right.

I only quoted one section of the Code. Section 541.201(1d) defines the private vehicle of a volunteer firefighter or certified EMS personnel as an authorized emergency vehicle when responding to an emergency call.

My personal vehicles have been equipped with emergency lighting for several years. I've had one constable stop me to check credentials (no other reason for stop), and I've had one trooper check my ID after stopping me (with other probable cause... d'oh).

The law states an exception for authorized emergency vehicles. Who decides what is authorized in any given jurisdiction? The duly appointed responding agency right? All they have to do is authorize POVs to respond to emergencies in their area.
541.201 explicitly defines "authorized emergency vehicle".

Billknn

Premium Subscriber
I'm just saying ....

I totally don't care if a couple of folks want to discuss this, I guess, and I realize there are some knowledgeable folks on here who may be a good source of info, and not to put too fine a point on this, but what does this have to do with "Texas Radio"?

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
My guess is because he has 3 radios mounted on the dash and one in his pocket protector while driving ;)

Premium Subscriber
although this may not pertain to texas radio...let's all realize that people on this board come from many walks of life...My question to Troubador is...are you affiliated with any emergency response group? I think the lack of that info muddies the water quite a bit. Once this question is answered, I believe we could give a proper answer.

trashcan

My guess is because he has 3 radios mounted on the dash and one in his pocket protector while driving ;)

Your post has nothing to do with the Thread at all .Radios and Strobe Lights are not the same.
Just to boost you post count .

Status
Not open for further replies.