Strong Interference in Auburn, OH

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC8NUG

First of all, I am new to this forum, so hi everyone. I am experiencing major RF interference in Auburn, OH (44023). It is disrupting DTV reception and FM radio reception. DTV is disrupted so much so that I lose reception completely. The interference began on or around 11/21/2011 and has continued ever since. I finally brought home a spectrum analyzer and a broadband discone antenna today (I work at Bird Electronics). There is significant broadband interference between DC and 500 MHz, at least 40 dB higher than the DTV signals. It comes and goes, sometimes lasting only a few seconds and other times lasting for minutes. Has anyone else in the area noticed a problem with interference, or better yet, can anyone identify the source?

KC8NUG

Thanks for the updates. I found out what the interference was. Using the spectrum analyzer, I was able to trace the interference to something coming from my very own house! We have one of those electric warming pads (poorly designed, I might add) that you put under a dog or cat bed. As it regulates temperature it turns on and off, creating large pulses of current, which in the frequency domain is a broadband combline. This was completely destroying our DTV reception. Needless to say it's going in the trash. What about part 15 of the FCC rules "this device may not cause harmful interference"? I would say this product definitely is not in compliance. I may even file a complaint with the FCC about this type of device. Anyways, heads up if any of you have one of these.

Status
Not open for further replies.