Suggestion for Yaesu model instead of a Baofeng model

TxDoc

I'm looking for a backup, emergency use or radio to listen to others with a radio on off-road rides or natural disaster situations.

I know many by baofeng she to the price. That may be fine for my wants and needs. But, I know Yeasu or ICOM are better quality

I'm not sure what to buy, or consider. I'm looking at a

BAOFENG BF-F8HP (UV-5R 3rd Gen) 8-Watt Dual Band Two-Way Radio​

Thank you for sharing your time and expertise.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
So many choices and it's all personal preference and what people want and like. A good backup radio that I like is the Yeasu FT 65 R when they were new they were made in China under Yeasu's specifications and are now made in Japan.

You can look it up and I'm going to guess off the top of my head that they're probably worth about a buck and a quarter. You can get a optional shoulder mic/ speaker and an extra capacity battery which does last a long time. It is also modifiable to extend frequency coverage. It's small and compact and well made.

Again everyone's going to have a different suggestion saying that you should have more options and coverage etc etc.

I'm not really prejudiced against China and their cheap, crappy radios, it's more like just a preference.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
It's "Yaesu", not "Yeasu".

The Yaesu FT-60 is a solid, reliable dual-band handheld. It's also an older design and may not have the features that a new radio has.

The Yaesu FT-65 is an inexpensive radio designed and manufactured by Yaesu that uses the same radio-on-a-chip architecture as "cheap, Chinese radios". I've owned one and I wasn't impressed.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
It's "Yaesu", not "Yeasu".

The Yaesu FT-60 is a solid, reliable dual-band handheld. It's also an older design and may not have the features that a new radio has.

The Yaesu FT-65 is an inexpensive radio designed and manufactured by Yaesu that uses the same radio-on-a-chip architecture as "cheap, Chinese radios". I've owned one and I wasn't impressed.
In all the discussions that I read and reviews that I did before purchasing the ft65 I was not aware that it had the same architecture as a CCR. That surprises me, I may not have bought it if I knew that.

Luckily I have had good performance, clarity, receiving and transmitting. I figured it was built to Yaesu specifications but misinterpreted that as it was not like a cheap Chinese radio.

Oh well, it's very sturdy and very small which I enjoy, the belt clip did break but was very easy and cheap to replace from GigaParts, it was in stock.

rf_patriot200

Although the battery is only so so and the menu system is complicated, I like the FT-70D.
There is a Optional 2200 mah battery available from batteriesamerica.com for about $42 if you wish.
I'm looking for a backup, emergency use or radio to listen to others with a radio on off-road rides or natural disaster situations.

I know many by baofeng she to the price. That may be fine for my wants and needs. But, I know Yeasu or ICOM are better quality

I'm not sure what to buy, or consider. I'm looking at a

BAOFENG BF-F8HP (UV-5R 3rd Gen) 8-Watt Dual Band Two-Way Radio​

Thank you for sharing your time and expertise.
Take a look at the TIDradio H-8 at tidradio.com It's a Much better quality talkie than the Baofeng's and rated at 10 watts, if that matters. About $60 on their site or their Amazon page.

paulears

Im always amused by how people ‘measure’ quality. Brands and price of course play a part, but a cheap icom cannot be, by definition somehow better, because it is cheap? A baofeng, despite what people say, is not a bad radio. Its just using a design that has inherent problems. For CERTAIN circumstances. Transmitters seem less of a problem, but if you live in a busy RF environment, the design allows phantom signals to be heard, allows strong local signals to wipe out feint ones you want to hear, and perhaps just to be a little ‘deaf’. A much better design, with decent filtering costs more and sells less well. That’s economics. I sell a lot of Icom radios, and the cheap ones really are no better than the chinese brands, however, in the bands they operate in, the lack of filtering rarely causes problems, and people happily spend extra for the brand name, getting, being honest, nothing extra. I don’t have any brand that are unreliable. I do have brands that break dropped from a chest pocket onto concrete. Others seem to bounce better. In virtually every sales area nowadays there is a Baofeng equivalent. Hifis, cars, plant equipment, 3d printers, toys, even aeroplanes, but many, like cars and planes do have standards that must be met. Everybody learns to fly in a Cessna 152, been about for ever, but once people pass, most buy a ‘better’ aircraft. Its not really a Baofeng equivalent, but the same idea. A cheapish product, with loads of rough edges, but one that does the job. Probably have to accept my analogy is a bit flawed as clearly wings dont fall off, or wheels collapse regularly, but maybe better to say its a cheap Icom or Yaesu? You get the idea?

KC1THE

I also recommend the Yaesu FT-60.

I originally bought a Baofeng UV-5R to break into the hobby but later purchased the FT-60. Very good quality HT radio.

You can also buy the 6AA Cell battery case for emergency power for the FT-60 if charging is not an option in certain cases.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
The FT-60 is a time tested, proven performer. Tough as nails. Easy to program from the keypad, very fast scan rate, superb transmit and receive audio (no low muffled bowelturd syndrome), most importantly, a dual conversion superhet receiver that won't overload from your wireless router. Yaesu radios also come with a 3 year factory warranty with US based support and service, hard to beat. Buy once, cry once. You are buying a radio with a 20 year life span or more.

k6cpo

I also recommend the Yaesu FT-60.
The FT-60 is a time tested, proven performer. Tough as nails. Easy to program from the keypad, very fast scan rate, superb transmit and receive audio (no low muffled bowelturd syndrome), most importantly, a dual conversion superhet receiver that won't overload from your wireless router. Yaesu radios also come with a 3 year factory warranty with US based support and service, hard to beat. Buy once, cry once. You are buying a radio with a 20 year life span or more.
Another vote for the FT-60R. I bought one back in 2012 when they were being made in China and it's indistinguishable from the models made in Japan. It's been a solid performer and has stood up to all kinds of abuse. It's got a crack in the window over the LCD where I banged it against something while on an Amtrak train. I've never replaced the window and the radio still works as it did right out of the box.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
The LCD lens and housing/leypad are less than $20 from Yaesu parts and available. Unlike Bowelcrap, the FT-60 service manual is out there, and even if you have one out of warranty, as long as the main board isn't damaged, one can re-house one and get the "seller refurbished" effect for what a turdbucket CCR cost and keep it looking new. I've swapped many a housings on these over the years. Pretty straightforward and can be done in under 10 minutes.