Yaesu: Yaesu FT-60 next step from UV-5R?

308guru

I’ve had a couple UV-5R radios for about 6 months now. They certainly have performed the task of getting me started in amateur radio. I’m interested in getting a HT that’s higher quality, better performing. Most of my use is mobile in a car. “Get a true mobile” you say…..Not going there yet and I want the HT form factor so I can toss it in a bag.

Things I’m happy with and/or interested in on the UV-5R
  • Dual watch
  • Decent battery capacity
  • Readily available higher capacity Li-ion batteries.
  • Pretty easy navigation and control once used to everything
  • Programming / backup with Chirp is very easy

Things I don’t care for:
  • The speaker clarity sucks! At even moderate volumes receiving sounds like a blown speaker. Both radios I have sound like this so I don’t think it’s a one off.
  • Can’t plug a charger into the standard battery pack or the radio itself.
  • Scanning seems pretty slow
  • Feels like a very low cost, low quality toy. Nothing I would trust my life with when SHFT.

After reading far too much, it seems that the Yaesu FT-60 is by far the most recommended HT for average use. My concerns with the FT-60 are:
  • NiMH battery is heavy and antiquated
  • No updates in 20 years. Really?
  • Programming with Chirp seems complicated
  • No Dual Watch

I’ve essentially ruled out other options for one reason or another, but should I revisit?
  • The FT-65 seems like a half step forward. It has a Li-ion battery but is all too similar to a UV-5R inside. It might be a disappointment in quality and performance.
  • The FT-70; I don’t have an understanding/desire/need for digital at this point and therefore don’t want to spend additional money.

Talk to me folks. Can performance and quality get me past the things I view as shortcomings with the FT-60? I really think the Ni-MH battery is my biggest hangup.

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
  • No Dual Watch
- True. Not much you can do about that. Replacement batteries are easy to find.
- Yes, but so what? It's a great design. People continue to recommend it and Yaesu continues to sell it because it's so good.
- I'm sure others will disagree, but I strongly discourage you from using Chirp. Spend the money and get the RTSystems cable and software. It's basically just like using a spreadsheet ... fill in the columns and write to the radio. Get it from HRO and save $10:

- Also true. I have other HTs with dual watch and don't really miss it on my FT-60. Actually I find myself turning it off on other HTs!

adhoc

Ft-60 was my first radio.

Got rid of it. I cannot recommend it.

Battery is complete garbage. Volume potentiometer was scratchy within six months, others have reported same. Belt clip sucks.

Software was cobbled together, it worked and they just went with it. No refinement.

What performance are you expecting from an HT? I have a ic-t70a currently, but it for portable use, not mobile.

I suggest using your current set-up until ready to upgrade with mobile gear.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
After reading far too much, it seems that the Yaesu FT-60 is by far the most recommended HT for average use. My concerns with the FT-60 are:
  • No Dual Watch
Let's say that an NiMH battery is heavier than a Li-ion battery of similar output. I wouldn't call it "heavy and antiquated". I'd reserve that term for NiCad battery packs. Is an FT-60 noticeably heavier than an FT-65? Yes. Is the extra weight a problem? That's subjective.

The FT-60 has had no updates in 20 years because it was good right out of the box and it continues to sell well. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I would not use Chirp to program any radio that I cared about. Spend the money for the RT Systems software and cable ($49).

The FT-60 does have a scanning feature that the manual calls "dual watch" though it may not be what you are looking for:
1700663200023.png

I’ve essentially ruled out other options for one reason or another, but should I revisit?
  • The FT-65 seems like a half step forward. It has a Li-ion battery but is all too similar to a UV-5R inside. It might be a disappointment in quality and performance.
  • The FT-70; I don’t have an understanding/desire/need for digital at this point and therefore don’t want to spend additional money.
The FT-65 uses the same radio-on-a-chip that Baofeng and other Chinese manufacturers use. The user interface is very reminiscent of a Baofeng. I had two FT-65s and sold both of them as they had an issue with the squelch circuit that bugged me.

I've heard good things about the FT-70, but I've never owned or used one. I understand that you may not want to spend money on a feature that you don't plan to use. When I bought my first Kenwood TM-D700, I had no interest in APRS. I bought the radio because it had features I wanted. Over time, I became very interested in APRS and was glad I owned a radio that could do it.

Is the Alinco DJ-VX50T on your interest list? It might have the features you are looking for. Alinco Dual Band Handheld Transceiver DJ-VX50

DavidBachus

Premium Subscriber
I recommend going with the FT-60. It is a tough little radio. I have dropped mine any number of times resulting with no damage. Feels good in the hand with more weight than the FT-70/65 or VX50. It has a 1,000 channel capacity with optional channel banks. Other than my Motorola XTS5000, the FT-60 is my "go-to" radio.
David/K5AQS

palmerjrusa

I recommend going with the FT-60. It is a tough little radio. I have dropped mine any number of times resulting with no damage. Feels good in the hand with more weight than the FT-70/65 or VX50. It has a 1,000 channel capacity with optional channel banks. Other than my Motorola XTS5000, the FT-60 is my "go-to" radio.
David/K5AQS

Second that, built like tank...

k6cpo

I’ve had a couple UV-5R radios for about 6 months now. They certainly have performed the task of getting me started in amateur radio. I’m interested in getting a HT that’s higher quality, better performing. Most of my use is mobile in a car. “Get a true mobile” you say…..Not going there yet and I want the HT form factor so I can toss it in a bag.

Things I’m happy with and/or interested in on the UV-5R
  • Dual watch
  • Decent battery capacity
  • Readily available higher capacity Li-ion batteries.
  • Pretty easy navigation and control once used to everything
  • Programming / backup with Chirp is very easy

Things I don’t care for:
  • The speaker clarity sucks! At even moderate volumes receiving sounds like a blown speaker. Both radios I have sound like this so I don’t think it’s a one off.
  • Can’t plug a charger into the standard battery pack or the radio itself.
  • Scanning seems pretty slow
  • Feels like a very low cost, low quality toy. Nothing I would trust my life with when SHFT.

• No Dual Watch

Talk to me folks. Can performance and quality get me past the things I view as shortcomings with the FT-60? I really think the Ni-MH battery is my biggest hangup.
Regarding your concerns with the FT-60:
  1. I've had one since 2012 and the NiMh batteries still take a charge and power the radio just fine. There are Lithium Ion batteries available aftermarket.
  2. No updates? You don't mess with success.
  3. Avoid Chirp. It's been know to brick Yaesu radios and Yaesu won't repair them under warranty. Yaesu doesn't make their own software for it so your best bet is RT Systems. Yeah, I know everybody whines about the cost, but it's worth it. It's very easy to use and I've never heard of an instance of it bricking a Yaesu.
  4. No dual watch. I've never seen a need, but your situation may be different.
  5. While I still favor the FT-60. the FT-65 is head and shoulders above the UV-5R. It may be similar internally to the Baofeng, but it's a Yaesu and lives up to their standards.
You can't go wrong with the FT-60 and the nice thing is they are still available new from places like HRO.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
The FT-60 is a real, actual radio with real, actual quality radio components such as: proper front end filtering to keep out intermod and overloading out of band signals. It has quality firmware with an easy to program keypad that allows a user to do things like enter frequencies, TX offsets, tones, etc with little muscle memory. Menu system makes sense.

It can do both memory scan and band scan wicked fast. It does air band RX like a boss. It is made in Japan. Transmit audio is stout. Unless one is mute, no one will EVER complain about weak audio out of an FT-60. It is backed by an actual radio manufacturer with USA based warranty and technical support, and a 3 year parts/labor warranty, not that you'll need it.

Bowelturds are pieces of feces toy radios built around disposable consumer grade "walkie talkie on chip" toy radio chips intended for bubble pack radios. Combined with zero front end filtering, buggy firmware, transmit audio is famous for low, weak anemic muddy and muffled sound. They are great way to get IGNORED on local repeaters because no one wants to listen to a mumbling ham they can't make out. Combined with silly roger beeps, they signify a TURD is transmitting. Bowelturds generally have no warranty, are complete junk, and should be burned in fires.

k6cpo

The FT-60 is a real, actual radio with real, actual quality radio components such as: proper front end filtering to keep out intermod and overloading out of band signals. It has quality firmware with an easy to program keypad that allows a user to do things like enter frequencies, TX offsets, tones, etc with little muscle memory. Menu system makes sense.

It can do both memory scan and band scan wicked fast. It does air band RX like a boss. It is made in Japan. Transmit audio is stout. Unless one is mute, no one will EVER complain about weak audio out of an FT-60. It is backed by an actual radio manufacturer with USA based warranty and technical support, and a 3 year parts/labor warranty, not that you'll need it.

Bowelturds are pieces of feces toy radios built around disposable consumer grade "walkie talkie on chip" toy radio chips intended for bubble pack radios. Combined with zero front end filtering, buggy firmware, transmit audio is famous for low, weak anemic muddy and muffled sound. They are great way to get IGNORED on local repeaters because no one wants to listen to a mumbling ham they can't make out. Combined with silly roger beeps, they signify a TURD is transmitting. Bowelturds generally have no warranty, are complete junk, and should be burned in fires.
I wish I hadn't given away the one I had. I need a new gavel for club meetings.

308guru

So you like the FT-60 over the UV-5R?

Based on all of the responses here, it's clear I need to try an FT-60. Thank you to everyone for the info/suggestions. Shopping now....

Fast1eddie

Yaesu makes a extremely durable product. The FT 60 chassis is common to their commercial radios and law enforcement models. I know this because I carried a Yaesu Vertex UHF model when I was a cop.. They performed well and we never had a issue with them. FT 60.is a great radio.

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
Almost anything is a step up from a Baofeng. That said, the FT60 is a 20+ year old design. It is still a good. radio. but you might consider the FT-70. It is a modern radio with digital capability. You might also consider the VX6-R. More expensive but offers 222 MHz too.

gdsteele

Premium Subscriber
If you don't want to use Chirp and you already have an FT60 programming cable, give FT60 Commander a try. It's free and I think it works well.

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
The FT60 is great, but the FT70 is (IMHO) better. It's an updated version with all the same features, but also does their C4FM. The radio physically feels far better in the hand than the FT60 as well. Feels much more rugged (though that's just cosmetic I realize).