• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Suggestions on prices

Status
Not open for further replies.

GI_jose82

I will be selling the system I used in Afghanistan with my team when I get back. I need help on setting a price. The system consist of the following: Destrac repeater, duplexer, 100ft lmr coax , antenna, 3 Saber, 5 saber II, 8 saber III, 6 systems saber, 15 OEM mic, belt clips for all radios, all batteries hold a charge for 18hrs+, chargers for all radios, programming computer with rib and programming cable and a box of misc part to use in case repairs are needed in the future. All radios are programmed to talk to each other and with the repeater. They also have HAM and NOAA programmed into them. The system work flawlessly and only reason for selling is getting out of the military and will not need personal coms for my team any more. Radios were used on the FOB for personal communications while on standby for missions. Should i sell as a full system or piece it out? and if so how much would be a reasonable price? Any suggestions on price would be greatly appreciated.

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
eBay's a good place to get a general idea, so are the various forums (in FSWT subsections) but be aware they're only legal for ham use (or, perhaps GMRS if UHF) as those are all wideband only. All Part 90 use equipment have to be narrowband now, here in the States.

mancow

Database Admin
The problem is it's all wideband and is illegal for use here in the US now. You might have decent luck selling the radios in small lots with included accessories. There is still a use for them in the ham bands provided they are the low split 403-433 UHF type. Putting an exact number on it is impossible. The sabers are very prevalent and cheap now. Having batteries and mics really helps their value though. Maybe put a radio kit with all accessories together for $50 and see how it sells on ebay.

Last edited:

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
Right, and by my suggestion, I meant to look at those various sites to see what such items are currently being sold for (or at least what the sellers are asking). Good luck.

GI_jose82

Got it. Sorry for misunderstanding you. I have checked but it's hard to tell off of eBay since most of the ones being sold are as is/unknown working condition usually just a radio with no other components but ill keep looking around.

Thanks again

PACNWDude

A couple of options.

eBay is good if you can drill down to the specific models and then see what people have actually paid. Craigslist can be helpful as well as there is no bidding process. However, values tend to be lower as it is usually local buyers and a smaller audience.

My civilian company just sold off a pile of the same components you have, and sold it all to a local ham radio group for a few hundred dollars. This included: 24 DeskTracs, 30 Maxtrac mobiles, a couple GR300 repeaters, 3 duplexer cans, about a dozen HT and MT handheld radios, 10 or so Vertex Duo and Yaesu FTH-2070 handhelds, and all of the chargers, batteries and accessories. There were some Larson base antennas and RG-213 cables in there too.

Then we had a separate package of Astro Saber radios, and test equipment. These included all accessories and HP Spectrum analyzers and oscilloscopes. There were a couple of old Toshiba laptop computers that were used as programmers put on the pile as well. This was sold for a couple of hundred dollars to the same ham radio group.

This was all serviceable equipment, that went to someone that was still authorized to use 25kHz channel spacing and it prevented us from having to pay someone to take it all away as e-waste.

Status
Not open for further replies.