Supersonic Business Jet

Status
Not open for further replies.

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
The Javelin is HOT. I was able to catch its 1st test flight! But it doesn't go SONIC BOOM!

dsviper22

I saw a story on the viperjet in discovery channels "Tactical to Practical" .. I told my wife i'll quite asking for a dodge viper every year if I can have one of those.. She said no :(

mmartinfan

Banned
Lockheed Martin Skunk Works (my avatar) is working on* a biz jet engine that will go supersonic but not create a "sonic boom". Its only a matter of if its economically do-able for the civilian market.

* Biz Jet engine being worked on now. So we know then the military has already looked into it!

DPD1

I'll believe it when I don't hear it... I was out there when they were doing the combined DARPA, Northrop, NASA tests with the modified F-5. If there was a difference in the shockwaves between the modified one and standard, I sure couldn't tell. Both were very loud. Towns everywhere are trying to ban train horns now days, so I don't see people loving the idea of sonic booms. Especially when it's rich people doing it. :)

Dave
http://www.dpdproductions.com
- Custom Scanner, MURS, GMRS, & Ham Antennas -

mmartinfan

Banned
DPD1 its within 5 years of being a real item. Part of the problem is with the FAR's. They currently say no super sonic travel over the USA. (More or Less they say that, I don't have my FAR book in front of me right now)
The legals are working on admending that since the Concorde is gone now and there is no real need to have that rule.

jmp883

That means the industry has a serious chicken-and-egg problem: No one will fund a plane that may not be allowed to fly, and the regulations won't change until a plane is built.

That statement alone has probably already sealed this aircraft's fate.

However, some good things can come from projects like this. As mmartinfan wrote:

Lockheed Martin Skunk Works is working on a biz jet* engine that will go supersonic but not create a "sonic boom". Its only a matter of if its economically do-able for the civilian market.

* Biz Jet engine being worked on now. So we know then the military has already looked into it!

If any company, or design office, can do it it will be the Skunk Works. They designed the worlds most beautiful airplane, the SR-71, to fly higher-FL800+, and faster-Mach 3+, than any other air-breathing aircraft. They did it with slide rules, not computers, and nothing since then has even come close to equaling it's performance. I also agree with the statement that if they are working on the civilian version that the military version may be at least in the test stages.

Status
Not open for further replies.