swl logging software

Status
Not open for further replies.

N4RDX

I am interested in getting back in to SWL the last time i did any swl was some 28 years ago and all the logging was a pen and a notebook back then. On the amateur radio side of things over the years i have used the N3FJP arlog and i love the way it works and feels but i dont think that will work too well with swl due to i will be logging broadcast stations among other things. So i say all of that to ask this what logging software are you using and is it for swl. Any help on this would be great as i have searched (and maybe overlooked) for swl logging software.

thanks,jamie

zl2taw

Hi Jamie
I run a portable SWL station here, I just use Ham Radio Deluxe for all my logging purposes, which includes DM780 for decoding the digi stuff

Works great and is interfaced to my R-5000

N4RDX

thanks for the reply's I guess what i am asking for is just a swl logging software not a rig control software since I will be using a Kenwood TS-430 for my swl RX it does not support rig control and as for de-coding digital modes i can do that with other software. So what I am looking for is just SWL logging software. I looked at the wiki and while there is some stuff there most of it is rig control and i cant use that on my radio. so still any help on this would be great.

thanks, jamie

corbintechboy

Premium Subscriber
thanks for the reply's I guess what i am asking for is just a swl logging software not a rig control software since I will be using a Kenwood TS-430 for my swl RX it does not support rig control and as for de-coding digital modes i can do that with other software. So what I am looking for is just SWL logging software. I looked at the wiki and while there is some stuff there most of it is rig control and i cant use that on my radio. so still any help on this would be great.

thanks, jamie

You could just use something like an excel spread sheet.

If you don't have MS office, just use Libre office or open office. Excel is really easy to use.

theoldcop

Premium Subscriber
Sorry if this shows up twice...RR seems to be experiencing DB problems.

I use and LOVE DXtreme Reception Log. It is a complete logging program that performs flawlessly. It supports logging for all bands/modes/frequencies. I use it in conjunction with OmniRig (free) and Ham Radio Deluxe (also free) to control my rig, but that is simply an option, not a requirement. I also use it to facilitate recordings which I then email to station managers. This, in my opinion, has greatly helped my QSL return rate!
DXtreme has far too many features for me to list here, so feel free to check it out on their website: DXtreme Software

John
Not connected in any way with DXtreme...just a very happy customer.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
DXTreme is linked at the very bottom of that wiki article I mentioned....there's a section called 'Logging Applications' Mike

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
No biggie - there are, I'm sure, others than the ones we have listed there. I'd encourage anyone who has knowledge of other logging software to add it to the list.

However many control programs do have their own (or integrated) logging function(s), so that might be another resource to consider. For example, the Callsign software has such a feature...

best regards..Mike

w2xq

Mentor
Rather than using a commercial software package, what worked for me was a spreadsheet laid out in the format used by the listening club editors (e.g. National Association of State Workforce Agencies - www.naswa.org. I didn't want to do double work. If you're sharing information with more than one club. Mgey trick? Multiple sheets:

Page 1 - Laid out in a pattern suitable for you.
Page 2 - Laid out for NASWA editors, rearranging columns as necessary. Put the link "=Page1!A1" into the appropriate column, and so forth. Copy the links down and across.
Page 3 - ditto for a second club's format.

Entries on Page 1 will automatically appear on Page 2 (and 3) in the defined layout(s).

Re spreadsheets, rather than $$$ for Microsoft which is (IMHO) feature overload, consider a free office application like Home » LibreOffice -- my preferred choice -- or OpenOffice.org - The Free and Open Productivity Suite. I've used both and MS Office over the years. Both apps produce datafiles that can be exchanged with any of the office programs in the market today. Most significantly, both are a smaller space requirement in memory and fixed disk space.

Google Docs or another cloud office program would be a second alternative. Too many documents in the cloud storage? The cloud software includes a "file save locally" in a variety for formats. Google Docs also works well with my Android smartphone so long there is a WiFi or 3G/4gLte connection.

Hope this helps.

bigdancameron

dxtreme

i have used all sorts of free software but the best of all reception logging software costs around 80 dollars
its dxtreme logging software it automaticly tells you whats on through eibi once you load the eibi csv
into it it records audi it has solar info maps ect.. i love it it is an amazing product

Status
Not open for further replies.