• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Tait radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Not currently, but we've been considering their stuff at work. Our county is using Tait repeaters.

I spent some time talking with them at APCO last week. They have some good products that are well respected. Nice radios, nice repeaters.

PACNWDude

While working for Zetron, part of the JVC/Kenwood Group, there was a push to become more affiliated with Tait, in an attempt to take on Motorola Solutions Inc. During that time, Moses Lake, Washington decided to switch from Motorola radios and infrastructure to Tait with great results at a much lower cost. I was responsible for mutual aid between Motorola APX4000 users and those working in Grant County that needed to be on the Tait system for interoperability. Great system and radio gear, but looks odd to those used to Motorola. Aside from some difference in Talk Permit tones and signaling, Tait radios worked well. I wonder how that system is holding up, has been a few years.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
I to had a good talk with the guys from Tait at APCO last week. They've built a pretty good reputation in Louisiana on the LWIN (which is a Motorola) P25 system. Last I heard, roughly 25% of the subscribers on the system were Tait. They are currently working their way into one of the regional Motorola systems here in Texas as a Mother /\/\ alternative and they seem to be much more adept at making sure their radios function on Astro 25 systems compared to Kenwood/EF Johnson who doesn't have the best reputation with Astro 25. I've never heard a bad thing regarding their DMR product and they were one of the first vendors to offer a Tier III solution...also one of the only 800 MHz DMR solutions. Their infrastructure is well built and from a thermodynamics point of view, well engineered and they stick to standards. So AIS for the DMR inter system gateway, ISSI for P25, CSSI for consoles on P25, DFSI for infastructure (so you can build vendor agnostic P25 trunking systems with them).

They've got some product big announcements coming up at either IWCE 2021 (in less than a month) or IWCE 2022 and now that their Harris partner ship is done, I think it opens them back up for a lot more use.

@W9WSS Codan has been around for a long time and is one of the OG's P25 group manufacturers. Their former name was Daniels Electronics which is what most know them by. Their specialty, is low power infrastructure (think mountain top, off grid trunking sites).

PACNWDude

And Codan recently bought Zetron. Yes, Kenwood/EF Johnson have many issues with their current line of products. One being that they hired too many Microsoft transplants, that are used to fielding a product with broken software code. Another is the push to sell product, you may have experienced this at IWCE on display, that can be software upgraded for P25 capability. This allows for grant money for P25 capable products, but once you try to purchase the software, and load that into a radio, it may not activate properly, or require some other patch to function.

Tait has been great, and seems to be making inroads on the: reliability, price, and compatibility in the P25 world for sure. Harris has worked for the military, but has had some issues in the private sector, and as you mentioned, Tait no longer being held back by Harris should be a positive overall.

Go-West

Premium Subscriber
I've used them in the past for about four years or so and they aren't great, they are good, look at them online to see what is working pretty helpful.

dispatch235

Premium Subscriber
We have been using the Tait TM9155's , TP9100's, and TP9400's for several years and had no issue.... we had previously all Motorola's but had very poor customer support from the vendor... the Tait's have shown to hold up quite well, actually better than the Motorola's so far.

LowderK

LEO / Paramedic
Premium Subscriber
Here in Oklahoma all the Highway Patrol 700Mhz conventional repeaters are Tait and they sound great actually better then the Motorola by far........

Status
Not open for further replies.