Talk Group ID's

K5BP

Premium Subscriber
I have an SDS200 monitoring the Denton County TX P25 Phase 2 system. I would like to monitor Lake Dallas PD, but they are not shown on the RR database. I have been told they are a talkgroup on the Denton County P25 Phase 2 system. I have tried discovery mode on the scanner but I don't receive Lake Dallas traffic. However when I run ARC536 Pro virtual control display and logging, I see a few talkgroups showing up in the log as an unknown department. My question is, does the SDS200 operate in "promiscous mode"? That is, does it receive talkgroups on the system that are not programmed?

BenScan

Premium Subscriber
I have an SDS200 monitoring the Denton County TX P25 Phase 2 system. I would like to monitor Lake Dallas PD, but they are not shown on the RR database. I have been told they are a talkgroup on the Denton County P25 Phase 2 system. I have tried discovery mode on the scanner but I don't receive Lake Dallas traffic. However when I run ARC536 Pro virtual control display and logging, I see a few talkgroups showing up in the log as an unknown department. My question is, does the SDS200 operate in "promiscous mode"? That is, does it receive talkgroups on the system that are not programmed?

Lake Dallas is likely on Patrol 2(if not there, then Patrol 3). I believe they are the units numbered in the 240s.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber

K5BP

Premium Subscriber
Lake Dallas is likely on Patrol 2(if not there, then Patrol 3). I believe they are the units numbered in the 240s.
Can you be more specific where is Patrol 2 or 3. I don't see it listed on the RR database for the Denton County TX P25 Phase 2 system .

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Can you be more specific where is Patrol 2 or 3. I don't see it listed on the RR database for the Denton County TX P25 Phase 2 system .
Patrol 2 & Patrol 3 are talkgroups listed under the Denton County Sheriff. Those channels are used to dispatch units in the smaller towns that do not have their own dispatcher.
1675139472004.png

When you have the system set to use ID Search, the scanner will stop only on talkgroups that are programmed (and that are not set as Avoid (locked out)), so you would see text tags since these are in your Favorites list.

When you, instead, have the system set as ID Search, the scanner will stop on any active talkgroup, as long as it is not set as Avoided, and is not in a Department that is set as Avoided. Talkgroups that are programmed in your list will show with their text tags. Talkgroups that are not programmed, and are not Avoided, will be received. But since they are not programmed, there is not a corresponding text tag, so they display as Unknown.

For talkgroups that are not programmed, even though they are in the database, will be heard regardless of whatever service type shows in the database,

Notice how the talkgroup ID (37) for Patrol 2 is in boldface type. That indicates that it is part of Broadcastify Calls. You can click on that TGID & listen directly to activity on that talkgroup even without a scanner.

K5BP

Premium Subscriber
Patrol 2 & Patrol 3 are talkgroups listed under the Denton County Sheriff. Those channels are used to dispatch units in the smaller towns that do not have their own dispatcher.
View attachment 135442

When you have the system set to use ID Search, the scanner will stop only on talkgroups that are programmed (and that are not set as Avoid (locked out)), so you would see text tags since these are in your Favorites list.

When you, instead, have the system set as ID Search, the scanner will stop on any active talkgroup, as long as it is not set as Avoided, and is not in a Department that is set as Avoided. Talkgroups that are programmed in your list will show with their text tags. Talkgroups that are not programmed, and are not Avoided, will be received. But since they are not programmed, there is not a corresponding text tag, so they display as Unknown.

For talkgroups that are not programmed, even though they are in the database, will be heard regardless of whatever service type shows in the database,

Notice how the talkgroup ID (37) for Patrol 2 is in boldface type. That indicates that it is part of Broadcastify Calls. You can click on that TGID & listen directly to activity on that talkgroup even without a scanner.
Thaks for the info.