talk groups?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rochmn43

Premium Subscriber
real new at this, received a scanner (radio shack p-106) for Christmas. Not sure of all of the proper lingo yet so please bear with me but the question i have is:
is there a list of the talk groups(?) within a trunking system so i could either temp. or perm. lock them out? I am looking for them in Olmsted county, Rochester, mn.
i have the control channel and receive about all of the transmissions, i would like to lockout say the street maintenance, or the scrambled police, or the airport but keep the rest.

thanks

m

Highpockets

real new at this, received a scanner (radio shack p-106) for Christmas. Not sure of all of the proper lingo yet so please bear with me but the question i have is:
is there a list of the talk groups(?) within a trunking system so i could either temp. or perm. lock them out? I am looking for them in Olmsted county, Rochester, mn.
i have the control channel and receive about all of the transmissions, i would like to lockout say the street maintenance, or the scrambled police, or the airport but keep the rest.

thanks

m

While on the object, if you hit the L/Out key it will lock it out until you turn the unit off and back on, it will be active again

While on the object, if you hit FUNC then L/Out it will lock it out until you use the FUNC then L/OUT on that object again to unlock it. Turning the scanner off and on will leave it locked out.

rwier

................................... is there a list of the talk groups(?) within a trunking system ...................... Olmsted county, Rochester, mn. .........................i have the control channel ............................
m

Part of the problem is semantics (not your problem). A search of the PDF manual for a VERY similar radio (PSR-500) results in many instances of TGID and talkgroups and talkgroup but ZERO instances of "talk groups".

Now, when we normally think of a group, we think of a gathering of multiple items. It would seem, however, that GRE (and by proxy Radio Shack), have decided to confuse customers by using group in a purely singular manner. It might help to mentally append the word "member" to any instance of the word "group"in the radio's manual. Thus you may be able to associate the term's true singularity with the word group.

Think "Phone Book". GRE would refer to each line (Name, addy, zip, phone number) as a CallGroup. Simply ridiculous!

Now to Rochester. You mentioned "I have the control channel". What is the Trunked System that this CC refers to? Are you using software?

An example of talkgroups:
Olmsted County, Minnesota (MN) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference
All Trunked Radio Systems in Olmsted County
Allied Radio Matrix for Emergency Response (ARMER)
Allied Radio Matrix for Emergency Response (ARMER) Trunking System, Various, Minnesota - Scanner Frequencies

scroll down to

System Talkgroups (Wow, what a System, hundreds (?) of TG's)

Each horizontal line that has a DEC column entry at the left is a Talkgroup (See how a Talkgroup (singular) looks like a line in a Phone Book?).

If you need additional, just state your TRS of interest, and your Software. If programming your radio manually, someone else will jump in to assist you.

Thanks,
Rob

Last edited:

rochmn43

Premium Subscriber
i think this is the trunking system and the frequencies
Olmsted Co. Simulcast Olmsted 851.05000, 851.15000, 851.30000 ,851.53750, 853.26250, 853.51250, 853.77500, 857.48750,858.48750 with 853.61250c being the control channel.

the software is arc-500

i am trying to get the radio to give me the information ID's such as dispatch 1 or tac 2.
right now i am getting all of the transmissions such as the airport maintenance, or the snowplow drivers,etc.. and all i get is the frequency.
if i could get the info i could then lock out the unwanted chatter

thanks for helping the handicapped
m

Highpockets

If you Zip up the file that your uploading to your scanner from the software, someone that uses ARC 500 will look at it and see if they can give you some advice on programming, or if they see things that can be improved, or corrected.

rwier

i think this is the trunking system and the frequencies
Olmsted Co. Simulcast Olmsted 851.05000, 851.15000, 851.30000 ,851.53750, 853.26250, 853.51250, 853.77500, 857.48750,858.48750 with 853.61250c being the control channel. ....the software is arc-500 .............................................................m

Hi m,

I don't have arc-500 but there are other problems here. GOTO

Olmsted County, Minnesota (MN) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

and down at the bottom see a list labelled

All Trunked Radio Systems in Olmsted County

This list contains eleven (11) Trunked Radio Systems in Olmsted County. I am not able to match up your info above with any of these eleven Trunked Systems. Please direct me to the area where I may see the frequencies you have posted.

Be very specific (use URL's if possible) and quote exact names and labels (cut and paste) if possible. You will get the result you want eventually, lol. Relax, maybe a glass of wine (or two, lol).

rwier

ARMER, thanks
On the advice of Highpockets, I was able to find the posted frequencies. Depending on your physical location, the CC frequency you listed may in fact be correct.

I checked some of my 500 settings, and for my Systems (P-25 auto is shown in my software) only the CC needs to be entered. You have a different System (Project 25 Phase I (FDMA)). I am unfamiliar with this System.

In your case the TGID's are the numbers under HEX that range from ~20100 to ~20600. These are the TGID's that need to be entered.

You have not mentioned ScanLists. How many different ScanLists have you assigned your TGID's to?? If the answer to that is ZERO you will be in business very quickly this evening.

Rob

rochmn43

Premium Subscriber
this is a p-25 auto system and from what i have learned it is correct you only need the control channel the others i listed are others that "may" be used if they decide to rotate out the control channel.
i have noticed the 20100 to ~20600 id's is there a way to identify those to a to a department so to speak like police or public works or ambulance.
radio shack programed in 10 scan lists, however i only listen to 2 maybe 3 of them so far

again
thanks tons

m

rwier

this is a p-25 auto system and from what i have learned it is correct you only need the control channel the others i listed are others that "may" be used if they decide to rotate out the control channel.
i have noticed the 20100 to ~20600 id's is there a way to identify those to a to a department so to speak like police or public works or ambulance.
radio shack programed in 10 scan lists, however i only listen to 2 maybe 3 of them so far

again
thanks tons

m

In the software:

You can assign those TG's to the ScanList(s) of your choice. You can rename the Scanlist(s) to the new name of your choice. You can change the alpha tags (name, label) of the TG's themselves, so as to see in the radio's screen exactly what is being listened to.

Unfortunately, not having the software, I cannot say exactly how this is done. But I know, if it was not possible, the software would not be popular, and would not sell.

You need to edit what RS has done for you. Look through that range of TG's I threw up there, and MENTALLY select a small number of TG's (horizontal lines) that look promising. Then check the contents of the RS programming (using the software) and make sure these promising TG's are included somewhere. They may be in the ScanLists that you have been neglecting.

Once you find the small number of special TG's (in the scanner programming) that you want to hear, you may want to move them to a single ScanList and rename that ScanList.

ScanLists also have a number that runs in the background. That's the number the radio uses to ID the ScanList. When scanning, I believe (sort of a standard) that you can turn ScanLists off/on by pressing the appropriate number on the keyboard. As you do this, you will notice a change in the screen relative to the two rows of dots. When a dot turns to a number, that is the ScanList that you are scanning.

Wish I had that software, lol,
Rob

RomeRon

If you want to save what you already have in the scanner, do File, Save As and give it a name.
Then unzip the file below, and open the olm.gr5 in ARC500, then Click scanner, and Upload to Scanner.
I hope this is the system that you wanted.

Attachments

• olm.zip
    1.5 KB · Views: 89

WX0BPR

Thanks Rwier
I though it was going to take until tomorrow morning for the talkgroups to load up in ARC500, that is alot of information. :lol:

LOL, and it keeps getting LONGER as the entire State begins to come online!!

That file will do what he wants. The Control channels the way you did them is good, Yes you only need the Control Channel, cannot speak for that simulcast but other sites in the ARMER system DO switch to the Alt periodically, for a day and then go back, and if you do not have all you get a silent day periodically (how do I know this??.. silence is not golden when you scan).
Been a while since I scanned Rochester but its pretty good listening. Most dispatching in the State have gone Centralized, you will hear lots on OLMS LEC 1 as that is where most of the dispatching will be taking place. ROCH FIRE DI and the like fire Talk groups will also be busy, I think Rochester PD is dispatched on OLMS LEC 1, but do not quote me on that.

I came from "old school" scanning to ARMER and there is a learning curve to it LOL, but once you figure it out its awesome.

Once you figure it out do not forget to add State Police Channels at least the ones dispatched out of Rochester.

I will attach my Rochester ARC-500 file, this is how I do a city when I visit it.. it has Conventional frqs (including ham) in it as well as most ALL of the trunked systems in Rochester (some I have never listened too) Mayo and Fed Med Center work well though. There are also * wildcards in there on the trunked systems, its locked out on ARMER as that can cause information overload!!

Also Minnesota's WIKI's rock, just in case you have not seen it:
Allied Radio Matrix for Emergency Response (ARMER) - The RadioReference Wiki
and
Olmsted County (MN) - The RadioReference Wiki

Attachments

• Rochester.zip
    10 KB · Views: 81

RomeRon

LOL, and it keeps getting LONGER as the entire State begins to come online!!

That file will do what he wants. The Control channels the way you did them is good, Yes you only need the Control Channel, cannot speak for that simulcast but other sites in the ARMER system DO switch to the Alt periodically, for a day and then go back, and if you do not have all you get a silent day periodically (how do I know this??.. silence is not golden when you scan).
Been a while since I scanned Rochester but its pretty good listening. Most dispatching in the State have gone Centralized, you will hear lots on OLMS LEC 1 as that is where most of the dispatching will be taking place. ROCH FIRE DI and the like fire Talk groups will also be busy, I think Rochester PD is dispatched on OLMS LEC 1, but do not quote me on that.

I came from "old school" scanning to ARMER and there is a learning curve to it LOL, but once you figure it out its awesome.

Once you figure it out do not forget to add State Police Channels at least the ones dispatched out of Rochester.

I will attach my Rochester ARC-500 file, this is how I do a city when I visit it.. it has Conventional frqs (including ham) in it as well as most ALL of the trunked systems in Rochester (some I have never listened too) Mayo and Fed Med Center work well though. There are also * wildcards in there on the trunked systems, its locked out on ARMER as that can cause information overload!!

Also Minnesota's WIKI's rock, just in case you have not seen it:
Allied Radio Matrix for Emergency Response (ARMER) - The RadioReference Wiki
and
Olmsted County (MN) - The RadioReference Wiki

Good job Kc0rwz, I think you pretty well got it covered. :) I think I would have had short circuit in my pea brain trying to do all that info.

rochmn43

Premium Subscriber
thanks a ton, just what the doctor ordered. now if i can fix the short circuit that i know i have developed. can i download this list onto my existing radio profile, just add it to a scan list say #14 which is empty now

again thanks for all of the support
m

RomeRon

thanks a ton, just what the doctor ordered. now if i can fix the short circuit that i know i have developed. can i download this list onto my existing radio profile, just add it to a scan list say #14 which is empty now

again thanks for all of the support
m

In your software, download from scanner, then File , Save As, name it, to save what you have in your scanner in case you want to load it back.

If you use another file it will over write the one thats in it, Open the new file in your software then upload it to your scanner to see what happens with the new file.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.