Talkaround Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

marksmith

Determine its service type and turn it on. Or if it is in a favorites list, modify the service type to one you have turned on.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
To me, a "Talkaround" is a channel that by-passes a repeater. What I've seen is that they are conventional channels, usually transmitting on low power.

If that's the case, you'd have to program a new conventional system with the appropriate frequency or frequencies used for talkaround purposes.

If we are talking about the same thing, they can also be referred to as Simplex or Scene of Action frequencies. They may be listed separately in the RR or Sentinel databases requiring a little searching. One you locate it/them you'll have to note the Service Type, several different ones could be used, including Multi Tac.

troymail

Silent Key
If the talk around group is not being picked up while scanning, how do I enable the service type for the specific channel? Thanks.

To me, a "Talkaround" is a channel that by-passes a repeater. What I've seen is that they are conventional channels, usually transmitting on low power.

If that's the case, you'd have to program a new conventional system with the appropriate frequency or frequencies used for talkaround purposes.

If we are talking about the same thing, they can also be referred to as Simplex or Scene of Action frequencies. They may be listed separately in the RR or Sentinel databases requiring a little searching. One you locate it/them you'll have to note the Service Type, several different ones could be used, including Multi Tac.

My first thought on the question as well -

Although rarely used, "Talk-around" on my local system leaves the 800 mhz trunk system and goes to an 800 mhz conventional frequency at low power.

The service tag on my local police talk-around is Law-Tac and the fire talk-around is Fire-Tac.

In addition to what has been posted above, you'd also need to be very close to the radio that is transmitting to receive it since it is not being "repeated".

BTW - police in my area are more likely to use an encrypted "alternate" talkgroup when they want to speak officer to officer and/or to relay sensitive information. They refer to this as "switching down" (I believe this really means hitting their radio's ABC toggle switch to quickly switch to that encrypted talkgroup). The reason I say this is mostly that there is different terminology and configurations used by various systems and users. I've heard other conversations on some systems or conventional channels where the term to "switch" to something might not even be on their radio system at all (i.e. "answer your phone", "check your text messages", etc.)

Last edited:

ecps92

There are TRS Agencies who have implemented
Talk-Around TG's sometimes labled 'TALK' etc

In addition to have a simplex channel not on the TRS generally labled "Direct"

troymail

Silent Key
I think our responses are all possibilities -- but we'd have to know which jurisdiction "talk-around" he is speaking of to know for sure.

I did a quick scan of the Ocean County trunk system data and didn't see (but could have missed) any talk-around talkgroups. However, there are several law and one EMS "talk-around" conventional channels listed for Ocean County - with one marked "Private" (scrambled? encrypted?)

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
I think the term "talk Around " is generic in that it bypasses the dispatcher. On a conventional system it's point to point with no repeater on a separate frequency or even the same one (NYPD does this ). With trunking systems I have seen it as a separate talk-group that is not heard by the dispatchers, and to further confuse everyone it can be a point to point also. It all depends on the system designer.

RalphHolden

Talk-around

Around here, talk-around is direct radio-to-radio simplex communications. The mode could be anything from AM to P25 conventional.....just my 2¢'s worth

Status
Not open for further replies.