talkgroup converter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
The attatched pic is from win 93/95.Does anyone know of a program that does what this part of win 95 does? I would like to be able to convert like 100 or so talk groups from afs to dec to hex and so on but win 95 is set up to do 20 at a time..I use excel so if anyone knows of a formula, that would also be appreciated. I live on Long Island and have lots of trunked systems and all my sources for info list ids in different formats..

Thanks for reading

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Dave,

Looking at your screen shot, you are obviously looking at a Motorola system. So AFS is not applicable, there is no conversion. AFS is only applicable to EDACS systems. As for the Hex and Dec try "=HEX2DEC()" and "=DEC2HEX()" functions in Excel.

(Although why anyone wants to use HEX to program thier scanner is beyond me.) :?

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
loumaag said:
Dave,

Looking at your screen shot, you are obviously looking at a Motorola system. So AFS is not applicable, there is no conversion. AFS is only applicable to EDACS systems. As for the Hex and Dec try "=HEX2DEC()" and "=DEC2HEX()" functions in Excel.

(Although why anyone wants to use HEX to program thier scanner is beyond me.) :?
Lou I only posted that pic to explain what kind of an app I was looking for.I think I got trunker to display dec instead of hex.I think I am where I want to be now.

DonS

loumaag said:

For a 3600 bps Mot Type-II system, using hexadecimal talk group IDs (Win9x's, not Mot's) makes it obvious that you're looking at values with/without status bits set.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
DonS said:
For a 3600 bps Mot Type-II system, using hexadecimal talk group IDs (Win9x's, not Mot's) makes it obvious that you're looking at values with/without status bits set.
Don, while this is true there is a problem. First, only the Pro-96/2096 will allow you enter TG's with status bits set (anything other than "0"). Second, your own software, other than Win96, doesn't allow it (hmm, I have not tried the Win99 so I can't comment on it) either.

Anyone advanced enough in this hobby to want to monitor for specific status bits (like maybe only EMG) is advanced enough to know what radios will accept them as a programmed TG and what the actual TG number would be in decimal. My contention remains, the use and display of HEX codes on this site is confusing to new users and serves no real purpose. Those of us advanced enough to be comfortable in HEX (like old semi-retired computer programmers :wink: ) already know how to use it and to convert it from the decimal that is the standard on all scanners.

DonS

loumaag said:
DonS said:
Don, while this is true there is a problem. First, only the Pro-96/2096 will allow you enter TG's with status bits set (anything other than "0"). Second, your own software, other than Win96, doesn't allow it (hmm, I have not tried the Win99 so I can't comment on it) either.
That was kind of my point. I wasn't suggesting actually entering a value with status bits set. Instead, when entering in hexadecimal, you'd never enter a value where the last digit was anything but zero. Just glancing at the value (prior to entering in Win9x) tells you whether there are status bits set. If there are, you'd just enter that last digit as a zero.

Personally, I like the hexadecimal values for Mot Type-II IDs. They're always 4 digits long, and the last digit is always a zero. (Again - not referring to Mot's 3-digit, no status bit format).

Mot's 3-digit format can save typing: in Win9x, you could leave the bank set to "Conv", then just enter the Mot 3-digit, no status bit IDs. When done, change the bank to "MOT".

And no, Win99 certainly doesn't accept IDs with status bits set. I left that feature out, primarily because the PRO-99 is not a trunking scanner :)

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
DonS said:
And no, Win99 certainly doesn't accept IDs with status bits set. I left that feature out, primarily because the PRO-99 is not a trunking scanner :)
I knew there was a reason I didn't own one yet! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.