• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

TDMA issues

I have in my possession several Unication G4s. All are attempting to be programmed on a P25 TDMA system, all being successful on a FDMA system, over a week we are now operating with TDMA simulcast. One pager did not need any updating and works great, one pager brand new works great, a pager that is programmed exactly the same doesn’t work and won’t connect.

Two are same model, different firmware, older FW works, newer FW doesn’t work

Newest and different model with new FW works… has anyone had a similar issue or suggestion? I plan to update FW as soon as Unication will email it to me, hopefully that is soon, besides that we have a good guessing game on our hands, thanks for any advice

BenScan

Premium Subscriber
Does not connect, always is out of range
Are you using the same programming file for all of them? A common cause of "out of range" messages is that the system and site information is not correct. You might try the wildcards "FF" instead to see if it works with less specificity.

Are you using the same programming file for all of them? A common cause of "out of range" messages is that the system and site information is not correct. You might try the wildcards "FF" instead to see if it works with less specificity.
It is the same file, it’s still the correct file for the applicable model though. One pager using the same site and frequency info works fine while the other one does not. I will try the wildcard and see if that changes it. Thanks

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
Now that you have mentioned it shows out of range. Common things to check are the RFSS and Site id are both in Hex. Making sure you have the correct control channels.

Firebuff66

Feed Provider
Maybe it's hardware? As said above put the pager in diagnostics mode, then hit RSSI cal and see what the RSSI is for the system with the bad pager and a good pager next to each other
They should be the same-ish, if not maybe the center pin is loose on the board or some other hardware issue.
I was doing 60 G4s for a customer and we had 2 with hardware issues 1 was a broken center pin

Just a thought for you. Good luck!

tvengr

Well Known Member
If you are on the AIRS statewide system, I notice that Shelby County has 7 sites. Some of the scanners may be grabbing hold of a different site. It could also be due to new hardware. Here is a message from another thread that may be of interest (4/21/2023):

There was a link on the Unication website to send an e-mail and request 1.34. I sent the e-mail and got this reply from the company:

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to Unication to request the Firmware V1.34 update. We apologize for the delayed response to your request and appreciate your patience. Firmware V1.34 was temporarily removed from our website to investigate some reported issues with this update. We have been working hard to resolve these issues, but currently our guidance is that customers should not change or update firmware on G-Series Pagers unless experiencing an issue and instructed to do so by your Authorized Dealer or a Unication Support Technician.

The V1.34 firmware release was an internal update to accommodate newer hardware. This update offers no benefits or enhancements to the average user and has no impact on performance. At present, we advise customers against changing firmware versions until further notice. If you are experiencing an issue or problem, we recommend first contacting your Authorized Dealer for assistance, and if necessary, they may escalate the issue to Unication should they require additional support.

As this is an evolving situation, we will keep you updated when more information becomes available. We appreciate your understanding. Thank you!

Sincerely,

Unication Customer Service
Unication USA, Inc.
Phone: 817-303-9320
Email: Info@Unication.com

www.Unication.com

Maybe it's hardware? As said above put the pager in diagnostics mode, then hit RSSI cal and see what the RSSI is for the system with the bad pager and a good pager next to each other
They should be the same-ish, if not maybe the center pin is loose on the board or some other hardware issue.
I was doing 60 G4s for a customer and we had 2 with hardware issues 1 was a broken center pin

Just a thought for you. Good luck!
This was the issue, forgot to update but I changed everything and finally looked down and noticed the pin was pushed down two threads. A fellow associate told this user to try a counterfeit antenna and that caused the issue, a genuine Motorola antenna with the plastic trim cut off works perfectly until a replacement is available. Thanks for the reply.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
This was the issue, forgot to update but I changed everything and finally looked down and noticed the pin was pushed down two threads. A fellow associate told this user to try a counterfeit antenna and that caused the issue, a genuine Motorola antenna with the plastic trim cut off works perfectly until a replacement is available. Thanks for the reply.
So it was exactly like an instructor told me years ago...when something stops working the first place to go is the last place a human was. ;)