Technician Plus to General

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
I think I read here or somewhere else that if you had a Technician Plus, you could get your General license without re-testing but just submitting a form to the FCC.

Is this correct? If so, what form should I look for?

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
I don't think I have ever heard something like that before.As far as I know in order to get a higher class of license you have to take that class's test and pass it in order to get it.

K9WG

From - License Restructuring

I got my Technician license under the old system prior to March 21, 1987, and I now hold a Tech Plus license as a result. I understand that I'm now eligible to upgrade to General without having to take an additional examination. Is this correct?

Yes. Holders of a pre-March 21, 1987, Technician class license or CSCE who now hold at least a Technician license may claim credit for a new General class license after April 15, 2000, without additional testing. This is because under the old system, the written examination for Technician and General class was identical; the only difference was that Technicians had to pass a 5 WPM Morse code test, while Generals had to pass a 13 WPM Morse code test. The upgrade is not automatic, however. You will have to apply through a Volunteer Examiner test session, complete Form 605, attach documentary proof of having completed the requirements for a Technician license prior to March 21, 1987, and pay an application fee, if any, to the VEC involved. Additional information and clarification: There has been some confusion and misinformation about what pre-1987 Technicians need to qualify for a General class license starting April 15, 2000. General applicants must present valid credit for Elements 1, 2, and 3 at a volunteer examiner session. Those who held a Technician license, now expired or otherwise, prior to March 21, 1987, may claim Element 1 (5 WPM Morse code) and new Element 3 (current Element 3B, General exam) credit. Those who held a Technician license, now expired or otherwise, prior to February 14, 1991, may claim only Element 1 credit, as may anyone who has ever held a Novice ticket. The FCC rules provide Element 2 credit only for individuals who are currently licensed (or within the two-year grace period for renewal) at least at the Technician level. This means that before applying for a General license, a former amateur licensed as a Technician prior to March 21, 1987, and no longer licensed or within the two-year grace period for renewal, also must obtain Element 2 credit. To currently qualify for the Technician license (which conveys Element 2 credit) requires passing a 65-question two part exam (Novice and Technician). Starting April 15, Element 2 will be a single 35-question exam.

W2NJS

Years ago the FCC accepted Callbook listings as proof for relicensing and other procedures, but I'm not sure that they still do.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
I looked; it appears as though they still do. I'm pretty sure I got it before 1987 but I'm not 100% sure. I'm going to see if I have my original license. If not, I'll have to find an old book or write the FCC to do a look up.

What do I need for "documentary proof" of having held my Technician license before March 21, 1987?-

Obviously, if you have an original or a copy of your Technician license issued anytime prior to March 21, 1987, that would suffice. Other documentary evidence could include an original CSCE for Element 3 issued prior to that date; an FCC verification letter of having held a Technician license prior to March 21, 1987; a document from the FCC's contractor, ITS Inc; or possibly a Callbook listing dated prior to March 21, 1987, indicating your license class as Technician.

http://www.arrl.org/license-restructuring

Last edited:

k8tmk

All you need to do is fill out the proper FCC form (I don't have the number handy), and take it to a VEC (authorized Volunteer Examiner Coordinator), with proof that you had your Technician license before March 1987.

The VEC will submit the paperwork, and you will receive your General shortly after.

I helped one of my former bosses do this a few years ago, and it was a very simple process.

Randy< K8TMK

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
All you need to do is fill out the proper FCC form (I don't have the number handy), and take it to a VEC (authorized Volunteer Examiner Coordinator), with proof that you had your Technician license before March 1987.

The VEC will submit the paperwork, and you will receive your General shortly after.

I helped one of my former bosses do this a few years ago, and it was a very simple process.

Randy< K8TMK

Yep, thanks. The form number is 605. I just need to find proof. Already found the local VEC.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Fast1eddie

Jeez, just take the test and get it over with. News flash, one can buy study books with the question and answer pool! I have more respect for one who passes competency tests (regardless of endeavor) than sliding in with a exemption.
I think if I were throwing around some RF I would want to know what it is doing and why.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
Jeez, just take the test and get it over with. News flash, one can buy study books with the question and answer pool! I have more respect for one who passes competency tests (regardless of endeavor) than sliding in with a exemption.
I think if I were throwing around some RF I would want to know what it is doing and why.

News Flash! I did take and pass the same test as the later General class AND I passed my Novice with CW the same day. Jeeze, the lazy people getting licenses without CW! (just kidding) Why should I re-take a test I already passed? Why do you think I don't know what I'm doing?

So with your theory, if you move to a new state, you would take a written and road test to get a drivers license rather than turn in the current one from the state you moved from? I'm sorry, that's completely silly to do.

I remember spending hours each night for a long time listening to cassette tapes of CW and studying for both my Novice and Tech. The only thing I need to prove is I had my license before the 1987date (I'm not completely sure I did right now anyway). I don't need to prove anything else to anyone nor do I require any approval or acceptance from anyone else. Your opinion is yours and you're free to feel that way but you shouldn't make an acceptable process sound like someone is cheating.

Last edited:

W2PMX

News Flash! I did take and pass the same test as the later General class
Exactly. I don't know what Eddie was thinking about with that "sliding in with a exemption" remark. The only "exemption" is that you don't have to take a test you already passed.

Maybe I should talk about the lazy people who didn't even have to draw a schematic on a blank sheet of paper to get their tickets? (We had to draw 3 for the tech/general, back in the day. Had to know how to tame a dinosaur too. I've had my license for little while.)

So with your theory, if you move to a new state, you would take a written and road test to get a drivers license rather than turn in the current one from the state you moved from?
Well, that's a bit different. I don't mean the road test - if you've been driving for a while without tickets, you kind of proved that you know how to drive (or how to evade capture). But laws do differ by state, so I can't see the harm in learning the laws of the state you're moving into (and proving that you know a few of them). I'd want to know them.

W2NJS

At one time the General Class written test was exactly the same as the Technician Class written test, but one license was tested at 13WPM code and the other at 5WPM code. So, if the OP passed the same written test for Tech as he would have had to pass for General and later the code requirement was lowered (and later eliminated) then he's entitled to a General Class license now that there is no code requirement. There's no question of taking any short cuts, obviously, once you take time to read and understand the FCC regs and history on the matter.

kb2crk

I upgraded from tech plus to general that exact way. I passed my element 3 exam on march 20 1987 and at the time was still waiting on my novice ticket in the mail. As for proof, I used the QST magazine that had my name listed as passing the element 3 on that date. I believe it was the june 1987 issue. I showed my proof, filled out the form, paid my fee and i was a general. It was a pain for me as I did not show up in the callbook until after that date as my technician was not issued until may of that year.

mancow

Database Admin
I used the hamtestonline site to study for the Extra. It really wasn't that bad at all. I would encourage anyone to put in a bit of extra effort and go for it. I was intimidated by it for years but after actually doing it I found it's not really that far out of reach of anyone that wants to just put a bit more time into it.

xmo

Since you mentioned the Extra - when I went to a V.E. session to get the Tech Plus to General upgrade, they told me that even though I did not have to take any test, I still needed to pay the exam fee to have the upgrade processed.

The V.E. said so as long as I was there and had to pay anyway, why not take the Extra exam to see what it's like. So... I recommend you study for the Extra before you go for your upgrade. You can't lose. You will get your General as a minimum and might make Extra.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
Since you mentioned the Extra - when I went to a V.E. session to get the Tech Plus to General upgrade, they told me that even though I did not have to take any test, I still needed to pay the exam fee to have the upgrade processed.

The V.E. said so as long as I was there and had to pay anyway, why not take the Extra exam to see what it's like. So... I recommend you study for the Extra before you go for your upgrade. You can't lose. You will get your General as a minimum and might make Extra.

Very good idea. Thanks!

bobriff

I received my first Technician class license in 1972.

My question is can I do the upgrade directly with the FCC by mail, or is going through a V.E. mandatory?

I'm hoping to send in the proper form(s) with a copy of my original license directly to the FCC.

The nearest V.E is 40 miles away, and since this is just an administrative action, I see no need to have to go through a "middle man".

Thanks,
Bob
WB8LBY

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
I received my first Technician class license in 1972.

My question is can I do the upgrade directly with the FCC by mail, or is going through a V.E. mandatory?

I'm hoping to send in the proper form(s) with a copy of my original license directly to the FCC.

The nearest V.E is 40 miles away, and since this is just an administrative action, I see no need to have to go through a "middle man".

Thanks,
Bob
WB8LBY

Read the posts at the beginning of thread.

ka4gfy

You'll have to visit a VE. The FCC got out of the exam business many years ago. You might also look for a hamfest nearby. Test sessions are a main attraction at hamfests.

73 and good luck.
Rich

Status
Not open for further replies.