Tempe PD now fully encrypted

mbnv992

Another AZ local PD is now in the books as being fully Encrypted.

The following PD’s are fully encrypted in the greater Phoenix area -

- Mesa
- Tempe
- Casa Grande ( while in another county )
- Buckeye

I’m sure we’ll be adding much more to this list as time goes on ( along with making these SDS1/200 scanners expensive paperweights ).

PACNWDude

Yes, deal with interop on TOPAZ and had to upgrade from XTS2500's to APX8000's, needed UHF and 7/800 MHz, and encryption and radio management feature set. That entire area will be encrypted over the next year or so.

mbnv992

Can’t believe they were still using XTS2500’s Gilbert, DPS, Mesa, etc etc have all been using APX6/8000 radios for quite sometime by now.

Heck the oldest DPS radios are APX7000’s I see floating around every now and then.

I’m sure a lot of departments are still getting / waiting on fresh batches of APX8000’s as well ( since Motorola is so backlogged with APX orders as it is )

Encryption is definitely the “new norm” now - and the trend has been starting for quite some time.

Only department I don’t see encrypted anytime soon is DPS ( due to their huge UHF system and the coverage it provides ).

mmisk

Up here they have fully encrypted the police and even the fire department.

They also encrypted our new light rail system to hide what they are doing from the taxpayer and local news.
This new LRT system has been a disaster, with derailments, failure of the electrical overhead system, and much more.

Next to go is our provincial system.

KB7MIB

These Phoenix metro area law enforcement agencies have at least partial, if not full encryption, on their main dispatch channels:

Goodyear PD
Buckeye PD
El Mirage PD

Tempe PD
Mesa PD
Queen Creek PD

Ft. McDowell PD
Salt River PD
Gila River PD

Casa Grande PD
Maricopa PD
Pinal County Sheriff's Office

Luke AFB Security Forces

Federal Protective Service Police

John
Peoria

mbnv992

Yep - most departments are all going encrypted now. Happening all across the country. Definitely a bad time for scanner hobbyists.

And you can say “but but but - you can still listen to Fire and EMS”. You know darn well that most all scanner listeners want is local / state PD.

scannerizer

Premium Subscriber
Very sad news. I've been listening to the Tempe PD for over 50 years to know what's going on around here. Going to be difficult not having the actual news, as it happens, anymore. :(
For all the upset, they’re being nice enough with a separate feed for each Dispaych channel - albeit an hour delay.

See the reason why I liked Phoenix was because all the valley police forces only equipped to do tactical/chase channels. It was like a “scanner enthusiast paradise”.

mbnv992

The fact that DPS still operates on an analog UHF frequency is pretty amazing. They don’t even utilize MDC for any unit ID - which blows my mind even more.

Ravenfalls

Premium Subscriber
The fact that DPS still operates on an analog UHF frequency is pretty amazing. They don’t even utilize MDC for any unit ID - which blows my mind even more.

If Tempe Fire chooses, K4 can be used for half of their calls. 962 & fires stay on normal channels.

DPS is moving to AZWINS. Same system as DOT Enforcement uses. DPS will Simulcast onto UHF for few years before full switch.

California State is building a dual band Phase 2 system for CAL Fire & CHP. It will provide a statewide interop. A few smaller Fire department have already switched to the new system. The command staff over the system build out & integration stated CHP will be fully encrypted. Sacramento office will be the initial test area for CHP.

scannerizer

Premium Subscriber
If Tempe Fire chooses, K4 can be used for half of their calls. 962 & fires stay on normal channels.

DPS is moving to AZWINS. Same system as DOT Enforcement uses. DPS will Simulcast onto UHF for few years before full switch.

California State is building a dual band Phase 2 system for CAL Fire & CHP. It will provide a statewide interop. A few smaller Fire department have already switched to the new system. The command staff over the system build out & integration stated CHP will be fully encrypted. Sacramento office will be the initial test area for CHP.
That’s not what I read last year. CHP said they’d just limit personal info on the air so they could stay open.

Ravenfalls

Premium Subscriber
Very informative video.
The Captain explains the new system & the encryption. The Chief explains the APX Next radio. The radios will work on the dual band system as well as cellular. Cellular will be used when the radios are out of CRIS tower range.
NYPD is the other department not mentioned by name in the video, who are buying the APX Next.
&
AZ DPS & all agencies bordering California will have CRIS in their radio to access the California system.

CA CHP migration to Phase II

darthgarlic

Premium Subscriber
For all the upset, they’re being nice enough with a separate feed for each Dispaych channel - albeit an hour delay.

See the reason why I liked Phoenix was because all the valley police forces only equipped to do tactical/chase channels. It was like a “scanner enthusiast paradise”.
Do they still feed the dispatch channels on one hour delay? If so where can I hear this?