Terrible P25 "decoding"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

N1GTL

Database Admin
I'm having terrible reception issues with the BCD325P2 and a local P25 system. The system is a 3 site simulcast CQPSK, not trunked. I do have it programmed in as a single site trunked system so I can get radio ID's and that works. I was having the same issues when it was programmed conventional so that is not the issue. One of the sites I can probably hit with a golf ball, and I don't golf. I would guess it is <1000 feet from me. I probably also have good direct shots to the other 2 sites. I am wondering if my scanner is receiving 2 or all 3 sites and does not know how to deal with syncing the reception? When I set the scanner to display the error rate, sometimes it is 0 - 9. A few minutes ago, I was getting very choppy reception and the error rate is in the 60's. I completely miss transmissions at times. This shouldn't be happening.

I tried turning on attenuation, figuring if it is the other sites, maybe it will dumb them down. No luck. I have also taken the antenna off and I receive the system at times but the error rate reads erratic, usually high.

I'll be the first to admit I am not well versed in scanners and P25. Motorola radios and TRBO systems are my strong point, not scanners. I did some reading and can tell you that the threshold setting bounces 5 - 8 and it reads AUTO. I'm not sure if I should be locking something in to a specific number and if so, what that number should be. High? Low? The display also reads voltages but they really mean nothing to me.

I do use the Marks easy to read site but I think I need an "easy to understand" site.

Any help is appreciated.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
The radio is not designed for simulcast reception. It would do well if it were a single site system.

tvengr

Well Known Member
With the site so close, you may be having intermod or image problems. Try holding on the control channel frequency and press the FUNC button and then 4 to enable the IF exchange (IFX).

N1GTL

Database Admin
The radio is not designed for simulcast reception. It would do well if it were a single site system.

Unfortunately I can only play the hand I was dealt.

You could always take your chances on an SDS scanner.

You might even get a good one!

Uh, no! LOL I'll buy an APX4000 first!

With the site so close, you may be having intermod or image problems. Try holding on the control channel frequency and press the FUNC button and then 4 to enable the IF exchange (IFX).

Ok, I just did that. Can you tell me what I just changed or what that means? Thanks.

What System is it you're having trouble with?

I'm in Middletown and have a 325P2. I can try it from here..

jeff

Premium Subscriber
Go to Menu, Settings, P25 Settings, Level 8. It will then be in the manual mode. I get my best decoding of simulcast systems and P25 there.

N1GTL

Database Admin
It's been a very inactive night radio wise
I'll see if I receive them.

I programmed them as Conventional.

I just heard them but obviously they are another mode.

I'll check the database and try again

They are P25 conventional with 3 simulcast sites.

N1GTL

Database Admin
I was just getting error readings in the 40's and 60's after making the mentioned changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.