Tetra decoding

Status
Not open for further replies.

steed

Member
Joined
May 27, 2015
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
compilation ok

finally everything was compiled whitout error,

GNUradio-companion 3.7.2.1, tetrad, telive, seem to run OK, but when i run ./receiver1 1
i got:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "demod/python/simdemod2.py", line 15, in <module>
from gnuradio import gr, gru, eng_notation, blks2, optfir
ImportError: cannot import name blks2

what's wrong ?

thx!
 

grosminet

Member
Joined
Jan 21, 2004
Messages
321
Reaction score
104
error running

Trying to run on 3.7

distribution used : live dvd Gnuradio 3.7.7.1 found here :

https://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/gnuradio/wiki/GNURadioLiveDVD

distribution transfered on USB stick with unetbootin

trying to run fcdp-tetra_demod_fft.py have the following error :

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "./osmo-tetra-sq5bpf/src/demod/python/fcdp-tetra_demod_fft_plus.py", line 5, in <module>
from gnuradio import gr, gru, audio, eng_notation, blks2, optfir
ImportError: cannot import name blks2


any idea
 

grosminet

Member
Joined
Jan 21, 2004
Messages
321
Reaction score
104
tetra 3.7

another error

With/telive_1ch_gr37.grc running with a funcube pro plus , I have under gnu companion

linux; GNU C++ version 4.8.2; Boost_105400; UHD_003.008.004-0-g93011c14

Using Volk machine: sse4_2_64
gr-osmosdr v0.1.4-21-gbe9af0fe (0.1.5git) gnuradio 3.7.7.1
built-in source types: file fcd rtl rtl_tcp uhd hackrf bladerf rfspace
Using FUNcube Dongle V2.0 (hw:1)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/home/ubuntu/Documents/telive/gnuradio-companion/top_block.py", line 325, in <module>
tb.Start(True)
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/grc_gnuradio/wxgui/top_block_gui.py", line 74, in Start
self.start()
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gnuradio/gr/top_block.py", line 106, in start
top_block_start_unlocked(self._impl, max_noutput_items)
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gnuradio/gr/runtime_swig.py", line 4860, in top_block_start_unlocked
return _runtime_swig.top_block_start_unlocked(*args, **kwargs)
RuntimeError: resolve_port: hierarchical block 'fcd_source_c': output 0 is not connected internally


GQRX is open and when running close immediatly
 

sq5bpf

Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2014
Messages
517
Reaction score
15
for now please use debian 8 for the gnuradio 3.7 version. it has gnuradio 3.7.5. i will try to debug it on mint soon.


regarding the windows version: i just don't use windows because it slows down my work, and right now don't have a version installed that i could use for development. everything is awkward, and is a hassle to get it working correctly, tasks that can be done with a few simple shell commands on linux require programming on windows etc. it is more fun to do interesting things than fighting with a system that i don't use anyway. so right now porting it is a waste of time, but some day when there will be no more interesting features to add i might consider a windows port.
 

sammy3418

Member
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
37
Reaction score
0
Thanks for the reply.. Great peace of software to. I have ran the TETRA decoder on Ubuntu. Just find Linux irritating at best. Your the Ninja for the software development tho so I understand.
 

sq5bpf

Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2014
Messages
517
Reaction score
15
i've pushed a new version to the master branch. this one determines the gnuradio version at runtime and picks the right version, so it should work with gnuradio 3.6 and 3.7 (at least with 3.7.5 on debian 8, the problems that people have had with mint are not resolved yet). i hope i didn't break anything :)

so you don't need -b test-3.7 anymore.

all development will be still done in master, and the test-3.7 will be deleted shortly
 

sm0vec

Member
Joined
Dec 8, 2014
Messages
46
Reaction score
0
Tetra decoding on a stationary PC or a laptop is good for experiments, but not really suitable for replacing the classical scanner &#8211; a standalone device that&#8217;s always can be on, independently on what other you want to do on the PC&#8217;s

It&#8217;s though actually quite cheap and easy to create a Tetra-scanner. Thanks the SQ5BPF&#8217;s software, a suitable linux distribution and something called NUC from Intel, you can build your own Tetra scanner for less than 250 USD and be up and running in 3 hours.

The Intel NUC is a very small PC, similar to a portable HD, which is very suitable for running Linux and some Tetra decoding. Due to the size and ability to work without any monitor, it's perfect to send away to some friend at an interesting radio-location.

The 250 USD variant is suitable for decoding 2 channels systems, but if you double the price you can now without any problem decode at least a 6 channel system, or three 2 channel systems at the same time if you so like.

If you check my old reports you can found that I've before have tested three different Intel NUC PC's of last year model. Now it&#8217;s a new year, and I&#8217;ve started by testing the mid-range NUC from the 2015-series: Intel NUC 5i5RYH.

Mini PC Intel® NUC Kit NUC5i5RYH


In the 2015-series of NUC's Intel have released three CPU versions; i3-5010U, i5-5250U and i7-5557U. And since i5-5250U is a direct replacement of 2014&#8217;s best model D54250WYKH, I decided to start testing this one. Both are still sold, and the price different is only 30 USD.

With the 2014 best model I could only decode 4 channels at the same time. Using it to decode 6 channels worked, but with very high CPU load, temperature, fan speed and with lost frames and bad sounds, so I was curious to see how well the 2015 equivalent would perform.

And yes, the new model was a lot better. When I monitor a 6 channel system, the CPU total reach 100% (the two physical cores added), but the automatic overclocking is not going to max, so the 100% is not saying so much since the CPU speed will increase if I load it more.

Compared to the 2014 years mode which had an i5-4250U CPU, the 2015 mode has i5-5250U. Both are dual core CPU&#8217;s with support for hyperthreading. In my previous tests I notice that the hyperthreading ability is really important when monitoring several tetra frequencies since it&#8217;s quite a lot of data in different threads that has to be processed within a short time frame. If I instead run a faster dual core CPU without hyperthreading, the result is quite poor.

The clock speed of the new model, 1,6 GHz compared to 1,3 GHz is of importance. But maybe even more important is that the automatic overclocking in the new model works a lot better (by default). I never really got the overclocking to work well in the NUC from 2014, but in this years model it seem s to work just fine.

It&#8217;s though important to mention that the comparison is not fully equal since I&#8217;m both running a later linux distribution and gnu-radio version on the new NUC. So maybe it&#8217;s the later linux distribution that&#8217;s better on handling the overckocking, or the new gnu-radio which is more light to run. So I might have to revise my conclusions if I update my old NUC sometime later.

On the new NUC I&#8217;m running Lubuntu 15.04, and this is important. The 2015 NUC&#8217;s must have Linux kernel 3.19, else the graphics just become a mess.

Running Lubuntu 15.04 (and probably other Ubuntu variants too) is though not fully compatible with the gnuradio install script. First of all the script doesn&#8217;t expect anything higher than 14.*, but it also tries to install libqwt5-qt4-dev which collides with libqwt6 which already is installed in Lubuntu 15.04. So this also has to be modified in the script.

And this is not enough&#8230; the gnu-radio installation script available also have a problem that I believe anyone who currently try to install Gnu-Radio 3.7 will run into. The VOLK-component is not checked out as standard, so to the git clone command &#8211;recursive has to be added to get a successful installation;

Git clone &#8211;progress &#8211;recursive h t t p://git.gnuradio.org/git/gnuradio.git

So maybe this explains the problem that some users run into if they don&#8217;t notice the error in the gnuradio installation and just continue trying to install the tetra applications.

Anyway, when modifying the script, it&#8217;s just to install the remaining Telive-applications by the instruction and everything works like a charm.

With Gnu-radio 3.7 I&#8217;ve both tested the RTL-SDR and the AIRSPY. Both works fine together with this Lubuntu-version and NUC, but I could only run ARISPY with 2,5 MHz bandwidth. So maybe the 2015-top-model i7-5557U is required to get the full advantage from the AIRSPY together with Telive. The reception quality is significantly better with the AIRSPY, and no PPM correction is needed. I could actually decode a remote signal which just had 5dB S/N ratio (no audio, but enough signal to get the system parameters after some seconds.

So if anyone before was thinking of buying a NUC to get a permanent Tetra receiver, I can highly recommend the 2015-series. You will have to be prepared to be locked to certain linux distributions due to the kernel limitation, and at the moment you will also need to tweak the installation script to get gnuradio in place. But beside that, you will get a lot more for then money than you had with the last year model.

The only thing that&#8217;s become worse since last year is that they have moved the place of the USB and HDMI connectors, so on the 2015-model it&#8217;s not possible (without USB-cable) to connect RTL-SDR at the same time as the HDMI on the same site. And I prefer to have all the cables on the same side of the box.
 

sq5bpf

Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2014
Messages
517
Reaction score
15
SM0VEC - looks like you're having a lot of fun with your NUC :)
maybe you would like to publish a howto about your setup? (and post it on hackaday).
i'm sure a lot of people would find it interesting

regarding the gnuradio build - you can also use pybombs for it (if you really really have to build it).

i have a change pending to have a lockfile for playing between multiple telive instances, this will be probably useful for your setup
 

grahampaull

Member
Joined
May 31, 2013
Messages
127
Reaction score
3
SM0VEC - i have a change pending to have a lockfile for playing between multiple telive instances, this will be probably useful for your setup


Awesome, this is the main thing I have been waiting on. Do we update as normal when this is released ?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

sq5bpf

Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2014
Messages
517
Reaction score
15
a new version of osmo-tetra-sq5bpf and telive is out.

this osmo-tetra-sq5bpf will decode D-NWRK-BROADCAST messages. some of them contain frequency information, so that you can learn about other channels. not all networks send interesting stuff in these messages, and they are not sent often, so it is possible that you might not get anything

telive will display this info either by pressing t or by increasing verbose to 1 or more.
pressing t gives something similar to this:

Downlink:435.2125MHz Uplink:425.2125MHz - MCC: 260 MNC: 666 LA: 1 reason:0 RX:1
Downlink:435.2625MHz - LA: 5 reason:1 RX:1
Downlink:435.3125MHz - LA: 6 reason:1 RX:1
Downlink:435.2875MHz - LA: 7 reason:1 RX:1
Downlink:435.2375MHz - LA: 8 reason:1 RX:1


this is only a quick hack, but i released it because i thought people might find it interesting. i will improve this in next versions.

i hope you'll like it :)
 
Last edited:

sq5bpf

Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2014
Messages
517
Reaction score
15
Awesome, this is the main thing I have been waiting on. Do we update as normal when this is released ?

yes. i will try to release it next week. this will be done after some bigger changes, i have to rewrite some of the ncurses stuff
 

grahampaull

Member
Joined
May 31, 2013
Messages
127
Reaction score
3
yes. i will try to release it next week. this will be done after some bigger changes, i have to rewrite some of the ncurses stuff


No rush! I got this updated already so I will give this a whirl!...

Cheers!
G


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

sm0vec

Member
Joined
Dec 8, 2014
Messages
46
Reaction score
0
tell me if you like it.

note: the status window may be too small to display all frequencies.

I like it a lot, this is really appreciated. I just tried it and it works just fine.

But I agree, the window is a bit small, but for me that's less of a problem since I'm pleased with getting this info to file, and that's something I can fix by myself as it might be of less public interest.

Big thanks!

When having this in place I only have one major thing left on my wishlist... recording by CID instead of Index, together with proper identification of GSSI's for each recording.
 

sq5bpf

Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2014
Messages
517
Reaction score
15
I like it a lot, this is really appreciated. I just tried it and it works just fine.

But I agree, the window is a bit small, but for me that's less of a problem since I'm pleased with getting this info to file, and that's something I can fix by myself as it might be of less public interest.

Big thanks!

glad you like it.

the curses rewrite is to have the ability to switch the main window from an usage index view to a network info view. this network info view will display the frequencies and other useful stuff. and this window will have enough lines to display everything.

could you share some freqinfo lines from your log?

When having this in place I only have one major thing left on my wishlist... recording by CID instead of Index, together with proper identification of GSSI's for each recording.

this is planned for the next major version, which will probably be a complete rewrite.

right now i would like to implement everything i have planned (probably scanning, live playing lockfile, decode some more protocols, more frequency/network info etc), so that i will feel that there is not much else to play with. this will probably take till the end of the year, or maybe a bit more.

btw before publishing the first version, i've been working on it for 8 months, so you can see that it takes some time.
 

passie101

Member
Joined
Feb 26, 2015
Messages
43
Reaction score
1
Still on my wish list, option to configure lising ip-address voor telive.
Then it will be possible to run telive remote or on another machine than GNU
 

ET-NL

Member
Joined
Mar 5, 2015
Messages
79
Reaction score
6
Location
Netherlands, Europe
Just made a new Debian 8 x64 install.
All is working fine and the new 't' function in telive is telling me a lot of new frequenties (neighbouring sites ?).
The only error I have is at startup of gnuradio 'Failed to load module "Canberra-gtk-module" '. but gnuradio is working as normal.
Do I have to worry about this error ?

sq5bpf thanks for all the hard work !!!

Elmar
 

sq5bpf

Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2014
Messages
517
Reaction score
15
Just made a new Debian 8 x64 install.
All is working fine and the new 't' function in telive is telling me a lot of new frequenties (neighbouring sites ?).

yes, these are neighbouring sites. if you see any entry with reason:1 anything else than downlink frequency and LA, then please send it to me.

btw many networks send much more info than can be displayed on the status window. this will be changed in one of the new versions, i will add support for multiple windows.

also i will try to implement more frequency info (channels from the current cell etc).

The only error I have is at startup of gnuradio 'Failed to load module "Canberra-gtk-module" '. but gnuradio is working as normal.
Do I have to worry about this error ?

it's some library used for event sounds in gtk. if it works then don't worry about it

sq5bpf thanks for all the hard work !!!

thanks! glad you like it
 

ET-NL

Member
Joined
Mar 5, 2015
Messages
79
Reaction score
6
Location
Netherlands, Europe
yes, these are neighbouring sites. if you see any entry with reason:1 anything else than downlink frequency and LA, then please send it to me.
One of the networks I'm monitoring is giving the following information
Downlink: 428... Uplink: 418... - MCC: ... MNC ... LA: 1 reason:0 RX:1

Elmar
 
Joined
Jun 5, 2015
Messages
21
Reaction score
0
Hello everyone
I have been following this thread for quite a long time now. Maybe you will remember me as I was one of the people who posted this video of Telive working in a virtual machine. This one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hh9qpyHA3Ik

I set up the earlier version of telive fine, on debian 7 with GNUradio 3.6. Now I have tried to install it on debian 8, with GNUradio 3.7.5.
All of the stuff installed okay, except for some warnings on libosmocore-sq5bpf when running autoreconf -i.
But when I go to run everything, it works without any errors until the very last stage in gnuradio-companion.
I try to generate the flow graph and it says Generating "path goes here/topblock.py" but it never goes off this. I don't know how long this is supposed to take, but previously it only took about 2 seconds for me, on the older versions of everything. I left it for 10 minutes and it didn't change. The program was not frozen, I could still click stuff in it, and tell it to generate the flow graph again for example, but it just shows that it is generating and gets stuck.
Everything was downloaded/installed yesterday and today, so it's all the latest versions.
Could anyone please suggest what is causing this problem? If it showed some errors I would try to investigate, but I have no clue, since it doesn't show anything else to say what is wrong.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top