TETRA (The dreaded Airwave!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Banned
Yes this helps.
icon6.gif

Seems that the system only allows the radio to authenticate one RID at a time. If the other can still hear thats very good indeed.

Raccon

If a cloned radio works than it's not authenticated: you can clone the ID but not the key - which would allow both radios to work in a system without authentication. However since you can only clone the ID (but not the key) the 2nd radio would be prevented from using the system during the authentication process (which should be mandatory whenever the radio tries to register).

Given that Dolphin was planned as a public network I assume they don't use authentication.

N

N_Jay

Raccon said:
If a cloned radio works than it's not authenticated: you can clone the ID but not the key - which would allow both radios to work in a system without authentication. However since you can only clone the ID (but not the key) the 2nd radio would be prevented from using the system during the authentication process (which should be mandatory whenever the radio tries to register).

Given that Dolphin was planned as a public network I assume they don't use authentication.

I would assume a public network WOULD use authentication to prevent cloning and the loss of revenue from it.

However, that said Authentication is a lot for some carriers to manage properly and f miss handled it will disable proper customers (The old double edged sword)

Raccon

N_Jay said:
I would assume a public network WOULD use authentication to prevent cloning and the loss of revenue from it.
Fair point. I believe at the time the network was built authentication was not available yet and you can't authenticate old radios even the infra is later upgraded, i.e. it would require to replace all radios (or you run a 'mixed' network, but it wouldn't prevent cloning of old radios). Cost would also be an issue.

Given that TETRA radios cannot be bought like GSM phone perhaps Doplhin thinks that cloned radios are not of such a big concern, and if it became known that a radio was cloned they could just delete the number from the system and therefore prevent it from registering again.

sunspark

detect tetra band

hi, i stumbled across this forum search through google and thought someone here could help me. I am interested in developing a scanner that can detect when a tetra frequency is close by and some how flash or beep more intensely the closer it becomes. I have a specific frequency in mind but would like to know if it is possible and how hard it would be, or if this technology already exists thanks for your help.

phillmobile

Regarding the need for a baseband feed why wouldnt you just take the base band out put from a tetra airwave radio? lets face it people are selling boxes full of them on ebay and they have flashed the firmware to do different things which also means people can read and reprogram the software on the radio

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.