Texas 700 MHz ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka5lqj

Hi,

Yeah, I know, I live in Lousyanna :roll: :(. Here's the deal. I'm a ham radio operator for 27+ years. I've also been *active* for some 27 years as a NOAA-trained Skywarn spotter. Lately, I've been checking in to the 147.150 (+600 kHz & 186.2 tone) Bossier City Marshal's Emergency Task Force, Medical Group 7, & ARES Groups Net on Tuesday night at 7 PM. It's on the Bossier City Amateur's Radio Association's repeater. This is a FEMA net for training purposes and was well used last week when we had 27 confirmed, active, tornado's in the 7 parish area of Northwest Louisiana. Sadly, we had one fatality, a man in a pickup ran into a tree as it fell and the rain was so heavy, he could not see out of his windshield. :(

Now, North Louisiana is finally & slowly changing all agencies over to the LAWIN (Louisiana Wireless Inoperative Network) with P-25. I happen to be collecting agencies within a 250 mile radius of Shreveport, LA, for a database, of sorts for those in the Skywarn (Trained) and FEMA-certified group in our area. I'm in-process of moving and setting up my shack/monitoring post at the Lake house. Because of some medical problems, soon I won't be able to drive, so I will hope to be a dispatch of sorts, passing on any information I hear on VHF low-band, VHF Hi-band, UHF lo-band and 700mhz to both the K5SHV, Skywarn repeater and the K5BMO Marshal's repeater. :wink: :D.

I'm wondering, aloud, if anyone has heard any scuttlebutt, about when East Texas/Central Texas/North Texas is going to 700 MHZ?

ANY information would be greatly appreciated. And Yes, I know some of Central and North Texas have already made the switchover.

GOD BLESS,

Don/KA5LQJ/8Q3224/KKR2747

nd5y

A 700 MHz interoperabilty overlay system is being planned for parts of Texas. Read the documents MaxTracker posted in #4.

All states have 700 MHz State Licenses since Feb 2002. Here are the ones for Texas and Louisiana.

The 700 MHz regional planning committees have an online database called CAPRAD.
The future preassigned frequencies for each county can be found, or the current frequencies in areas that are presently using the 700 MHz band.

To search CAPRAD
1. Go to CAPRAD
2. Click on the yellow 700 MHz tab
3. On the right side of the page below the login boxes click on "VISITORS Click Here to view regional plans"
4. Click on a region on the map.
5. Click on a county on the next map.
6. There are menus on the left side of the page for different information.

more links
700 MHz Public Safety Spectrum
Texas State Interoperability Executive Committee Home Page
Community Services - Radio Communications - NCTCOG.org

I don't know what you mean by "rebanding" because 800 MHz rebanding has nothing whatsoever to do with 700 MHz.

Last edited:

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
I don't know what you mean by "rebanding" because 800 MHz rebanding has nothing whatsoever to do with 700 MHz.
I also don't know what is meant by that and the subject of the thread is really confusing because of it. As a result, I am changing the subject as soon as I finish posting this reply.

ka5lqj

Clarafication.....

Lou,

What I was doing was asking if anyone knew of a time frame that East Texas from the LA State line to Dallas to the West and from the Ok border, south to say Anderson County, would be converting over to the FEMA 700 Interoperability/Internet Network, like what's going on in North Louisiana now.

Once I have an idea, then I can start going through the ULS database and adding those licenses to my spreadsheet for future reference and to pass that information along to the local NOAA Wx Office, Skywarn group and the Bossier City Marshal's Emergency Task Force, LA Medical Group 7, and ARES members who may want to monitor those frequencies during a Skywarn call-up or disaster.

I've been told by several folks here that the Caddo Communications District # 1 won't be changing to 700MHz anytime soon. They have a LOT of $$$$$$ tied up in their 800 MHz trunked system and it still doesn't work as it should. I'm sorry if I wasn't clearer.

Respectfully,

Don/KA5LQJ

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Don,
I will repeat what both nd5y and I have said previously. I edited the subject of the thread because 700 MHz usage has nothing to do with rebanding. The two topics are not related in any way. All I did by removing rebanding from the subject was removing this confusing (and incorrect) association from the thread.

ka5lqj

"Sorry"...

Hi Lou, All,

Well, I apologize. I was evidently misinformed about the information I was
given. It confused me and so I came here to try and find an answer. My
brain is having more trouble now, trying to understand things. :(

No one locally will explain it to me either, so I don't know what I am to do.
I guess since I am no longer a paying member, I should quit free-loading and just move on somewhere else.

Respectfully,

Don/KA5LQJ

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Hi Lou, All,

Well, I apologize. I was evidently misinformed about the information I was
given. It confused me and so I came here to try and find an answer. My
brain is having more trouble now, trying to understand things. :(

No one locally will explain it to me either, so I don't know what I am to do.
I guess since I am no longer a paying member, I should quit free-loading and just move on somewhere else.

Respectfully,

Don/KA5LQJ
Don,

I am not sure what the above is all about. You asked a question in your original post that was answered. What part of that was not answered?

Your OP had nothing to do with rebanding and I removed the rebanding reference in the thread title so as to not confuse people seeing the title, what part of that did you not understand?

Status
Not open for further replies.