Texas DPS Unit #'s

TXDispatcher1

I'm wondering if anybody has figured out the 'new' DPS unit numbering system better than I have. I know that the first number denotes the region, the letter after that the district and the numbers after that narrow it down even more. Region 7 is Capitol Police and Executive Protection in Austin-an example of their unit #'s would be 7B205. Four digit numbers beginning with 8 are obviously detectives, and the second number is almost certainly the region-for example, 8251 would be a detective in Region 2. However, does anyone know how to differentiate a CID unit from a Ranger unit? Under the old system I understood all the numbering system from front to back, but I'm still not completely clear about this 'new' one. Also, what would be an example of a Highway Patrol sergeant's or lieutenant's number, and how does it differ from a standard HP unit's #?

Also, does anyone know the difference between the numbering for a Highway Patrol unit number and a Vehicle Inspection or Driver's License unit, for example? I think that there are no full time License and Weight units anymore (now they call it Commercial Vehicle Inspection) and I think that HP units do that part time along with their other duties. L&W units used to have their own numbers, but I don't think they do anymore. I know that helicopters are 3 digit numbers beginning with 1, and the last number denotes the region-for example, 102 and 112 are helos based at Region 2 in Houston. There's a helo flying out of Austin that has the unit number 100-he seems to back up a lot of police agencies in the area but I've never heard 106, which should be the Austin helo. Anyway, if somebody understands this system better than I do I'd appreciate the input.

BenScan

Premium Subscriber
No, but I've heard units patrolling Dallas North Tollway are 1D####, usually 1D9## to 1D1###. Chisholm Trail Parkway, 1C4##. (Johnson County). Also heard 14##s patrolling in Cooke County. The aircraft up this way are 101.

SA_tx_88116

Rather listen than to stream
I don’t know much about the DPS call signs all I can really understand is 6C and the rest after that means nothing to me, you might wanna consider submitting that info to the wiki.

billpritjr

Last edited:

Russell

Texas DB Admin
Database Admin
DPS101 is now based at McKinney "National" Airport where they were previously based at Mesquite. They fly over the house quite a bit; I've almost gotten the point where I recognize the sound. It's smoother' than other helos.

Gopher

Premium Subscriber
I hear 1Adam205 check in with Grayson County quite often as well as at least two other Troopers.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
I remember seeing a standardized list of codes somewhere from DPS but...as I can't find it on my Google drive it is probably something I was told to keep confidential and limited access to it by only keeping it on my office desktop hard drive (happens from time to time).

TXDispatcher1

What kind of codes?
The 10-codes are in the wiki. They mostly quit using them several years ago but somebody updated the list recently.
I hear DPS using 10 codes all the time, but DPS Houston doesn't seem to use them much any more.

TXDispatcher1

"1C-XXXX" is a unit "belonging to" the Hurst, TX highway patrol office (some office locations: Contact a Trooper | Department of Public Safety)

The first two digits refer to the District then the unit ID is that troopers radio ID. License and Weight, Rangers, etc have their own codes which changed a few years ago but the above is the meat and potatoes of how they do it.
Thanks for the district map. It clears up a few things for me. If you have anything else like that please post it here

TXDispatcher1

DPS101 is now based at McKinney "National" Airport where they were previously based at Mesquite. They fly over the house quite a bit; I've almost gotten the point where I recognize the sound. It's smoother' than other helos.
Yea, a long time back (in the 90's, actually) I lived in SW Houston, and I heard this really loud helicopter hovering over the area for a while. I said, "that's got to be the DPS helicopter" (that's back when they were using these really noisy Jet Rangers). Sure enough, I turned on the DPS detective channel (155.505) and it was DPS 102 supporting rangers and narcotics units on a drug bust. The helicopter was also close enough for me to see it.

SeniorBasic819

Premium Subscriber
Brazoria County has three Sgt areas, 2D7xx (Angleton office), 2D8xx (Manvel Office), and 2D9xx (Freeport office). 2D750, 2D850, and 2D950 are the Corporals and 2D700, 2D800, and 2D900 are the Sergeants.

I remember also hearing 2D110x and I think those are our CVE Troopers for the County.