Texas Tech Adding Phase 2 TDMA to Trunking System

Status
Not open for further replies.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Last I had heard...they were debating between upgrading their system or get on the city system.

Anyway...Motorola had been trying to quote them a Capacity Max system.

lild806

Premium Subscriber
does anyone know if Texas Tech has started transitioning to those frequencies...I noticed that they cut frequencies and added one on that list and Today I noticed that tech police is getting new radio ids a 7 digit number instead of their 3 digit number that they had

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
does anyone know if Texas Tech has started transitioning to those frequencies...I noticed that they cut frequencies and added one on that list and Today I noticed that tech police is getting new radio ids a 7 digit number instead of their 3 digit number that they had

You will be able to tell by monitoring the control channel. If you see the band plan advertising Phase 2 channel IDs, then they have already swapped the site over. Migrating a live site (at least Quantar to GTR8000) can be done fairly quickly with minimal downtime. No reprogramming of the existing radio fleet is needed so long as the control channel frequencies aren't changing.

FireJustin

I spent some time with this system today, and although unitrunker doesn't show anything (obvious that I could see, I could miss something) that indicates Phase 2, monitoring via scanner and Unitrunker shows that some talkgroups are operating on P25P2 (Police 1, Police 2, HSC Security) while others are operating P25P1 (parking/traffic, most operations and maintenance functions).

Russell

Texas DB Admin
Database Admin
Yeah, it takes awhile to program/replace those "old" radios to get them up to P2. I would expect PD first then FD/EMS, then other services will follow later. Obviously, the data channel advertises P2, soooooo, it's a P2 system. I wonder if they'll ever consider merging with Lubbock P2?

Thanks,
Russell

nd5y

I spent some time with this system today, and although unitrunker doesn't show anything (obvious that I could see, I could miss something) that indicates Phase 2,
The Band Plan tab of the site window will show band plans with 2 slots if it is a phase 2 system.
The upper part of the window of the Call History tab that shows the frequencies will have three channels with the same frequency but different LCNs if there are any phase 2 transmissions. One LCN is phase 1, one is phase 2 slot 1 and the third is phase 2 slot 2.

twobytwo

I have a question concerning the P25 Tech system and progrmming my TRX1. On the software I already have P25 listed as the type. What to I need to change to hear the new p25 or does the radio pick both formats at the same time? I am getting numerous 7 digit radio ids on Tech PD1 so am I getting both formats? I hope that what Im asking is understood.

nd5y

I have a question concerning the P25 Tech system and progrmming my TRX1. On the software I already have P25 listed as the type. What to I need to change to hear the new p25 or does the radio pick both formats at the same time? I am getting numerous 7 digit radio ids on Tech PD1 so am I getting both formats? I hope that what Im asking is understood.
As far as I know there is no scanner that requires specific programming to receive P25 phase 2.
If the scanner supports it then it you don't need to do anything special.

lild806

Premium Subscriber
[/QUOTE

the 7 digit radio id is the new radio id if you look at this link it has the build out of the system https://www.dps.texas.gov/LawEnforcementSupport/communications/interop/documents/tsicpMOU.pdf
the radio ids you are seeing begin with a 5 on it and according to the link it says that 5m is reserved for state, federal and tribal units and Texas Tech I'm assuming falls under state that's why its showing a 7 digit number beginning with a 5

FireJustin

As predicted above, TTU PD and Fire Marshal have migrated to Phase 2. Athletics, Custodial, and many others are still Phase 1. IT appears that Special Events type people are being migrated, seeing both 1 and 2 traffic today during the football game.

Status
Not open for further replies.