• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

The Cobra 148GTL was the best CB ever made, but that was 43 years ago! Now what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidrfeeney

I have an old RS TRC-452 with SSB. Still works as good as the day it was new with a Turner +3 microphone with K-40 antenna.
Anyone have any thoughts on the ASTATIC D104 desktop Mic? I am looking for an amplified desk Mic for my cb base setup. They sure look neat but some people say they are junk?

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

jhooten

The problem with the D104 is that production stopped in 2001. If you know what to look for you can find good working examples. BUT, since they are one of Bubba's favorite mics you can never be sure they are as issued.

If Astatic would do another run of them using current methods and materials yet true to the appearance of the classics I would buy one if for nothing else than the nostalgia factor.

davidrfeeney

davidrfeeney

I'm not much into CB anymore but why would someone want the Xtreme Echo Microphone that has reverb and "repeats everything you say?"

Well, because the item is well-reviewed, affordable, and those features are optional and don't need to be used.

If anyone has a helpful response, I'd appreciate it.

prcguy

An amplified D-104 will sound very good on most radios. In my almost 50yr experience with this stuff, the Shure 526T stands out as the most consistently great sounding mic of all time. Put it on an old tube rig, or a 148GTL or a newer radio and it will have the same great loud, punchy, articulate sound.

You have to find the original straight wire version of the 526T and not the "Series II" with the coiled cord, they seem to loose a little something over the original version. I have at least 5 of these mics, maybe 6, I lost count.

Second runner up is probably the old Turner +3 base mic, very smooth and loud but the 526T has a compressor amp that out talks it.
prcguy

QUOTE=davidrfeeney;2876872]Any suggestions for a quality modern amplified mic? Handheld or desktop?

I am looking at these products...

RF Limited EC-2018 XTR https://www.bellscb.com/products/microphones/rf_limited/EC-2018_Xtreme_echo_microphone.htm

Astatic 302-AST878DM Cb Desk Mic https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003O44LI6/ref=sxbs_sxwds-stvp_3

DELTA M2 AMPLIFIED DYNAMIC POWER BASE MICROPHONE https://www.amazon.com/DELTA-AMPLIFIED-DYNAMIC-POWER-MICROPHONE/dp/B06XSP6RWR/ref=pd_sbs_263_13[/QUOTE]

davidrfeeney

An amplified D-104 will sound very good on most radios. In my almost 50yr experience with this stuff, the Shure 526T stands out as the most consistently great sounding mic of all time. Put it on an old tube rig, or a 148GTL or a newer radio and it will have the same great loud, punchy, articulate sound.

You have to find the original straight wire version of the 526T and not the "Series II" with the coiled cord, they seem to loose a little something over the original version. I have at least 5 of these mics, maybe 6, I lost count.

Second runner up is probably the old Turner +3 base mic, very smooth and loud but the 526T has a compressor amp that out talks it.
prcguy

QUOTE=davidrfeeney;2876872]Any suggestions for a quality modern amplified mic? Handheld or desktop?

RF Limited EC-2018 XTR https://www.bellscb.com/products/microphones/rf_limited/EC-2018_Xtreme_echo_microphone.htm

Astatic 302-AST878DM Cb Desk Mic https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003O44LI6/ref=sxbs_sxwds-stvp_3

DELTA M2 AMPLIFIED DYNAMIC POWER BASE MICROPHONE https://www.amazon.com/DELTA-AMPLIFIED-DYNAMIC-POWER-MICROPHONE/dp/B06XSP6RWR/ref=pd_sbs_263_13
[/QUOTE]Awesome, thanks!

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

prcguy

To add more to this, I've set several HF radios up with expensive mics like EV RE-27s, large capsule condensers, ribbons, Heil PR-40, you name it, through outboard processing like DBX vocal strips, Behringer DEQ-2496, yada yada and tweaked until everyone proclaimed "you've arrived" and thought it was the best sounding thing ever.

Then as a test I put a stock Shure 526T back on the same radio with no external stuff and everyone says, what did you do? It sounds even better now! So I usually save time and just use a 526T.
prcguy

Awesome, thanks!

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

davidrfeeney

To add more to this, I've set several HF radios up with expensive mics like EV RE-27s, large capsule condensers, ribbons, Heil PR-40, you name it, through outboard processing like DBX vocal strips, Behringer DEQ-2496, yada yada and tweaked until everyone proclaimed "you've arrived" and thought it was the best sounding thing ever.

Then as a test I put a stock Shure 526T back on the same radio with no external stuff and everyone says, what did you do? It sounds even better now! So I usually save time and just use a 526T.
prcguy
[/QUOTE]

OK, here's what I am struggling with... every Shure microphone I have found, new or used, requires me to rewire it to fit my CB radio. I have no idea how to do that.

Brand new Shure 522 Base Station Microphone is expensive, and it doesn't have any connector at all. I don't know how to wire it to the correct connector for my CB radio (UNIDEN 980SSB 6 pin). https://www.ebay.com/itm/Shure-522-...769364&hash=item3d4ca18422:g:5sgAAOSw09xZ7ynd

A used Shure 522 doesn't even list the connector it comes with, and I pretty sure it won't fit my CB radio.

A used Shure 450 is more affordable... but it comes wired with a 1/4 in male mic connector that also won't fit my CB radio. I'll have to rewire it, and I can't find any simple explanation of how to do that.

The complexity for a beginner is making a pre-wired mic a lot more attractive.

ridgescan

prcguy

DELTA M2 AMPLIFIED DYNAMIC POWER BASE MICROPHONE https://www.amazon.com/DELTA-AMPLIFIED-DYNAMIC-POWER-MICROPHONE/dp/B06XSP6RWR/ref=pd_sbs_263_13
[/QUOTE]
Back in the late 70s when I was a teen I had a JC Penney 6237 base CB on a 1/2 wave omni. I had the Turner +3 desk mic. Mom used to talk on that thing to me in my mobile as I drove to work and that Turner was the absolute cleanest modulator of most I heard out there. When she spoke, it was like she was right there in the mobile with me albeit with the slight room echo and TV going out in the living room. That mic was sensitive. Nice memory.

davidrfeeney

Good news! I just bought a TURNER PLUS THREE POWER DESK MICROPHONE on Ebay!

I made a Best Offer and it was accepted.

Hooray!

$_32.JPG

Astrogoth13

Ahhh, D-104s. Before Astatic went tits up they made quite a few models of the same darn mic. Gray, gray/chrome, black, black/chrome, chrome, chrome/eagle, gold, gold/black, etc. Mine is the black base and head with the chrome middle. Reminds me of good times now long gone.

I still have my D-104 "Lollypop" on the shelf. Like all other Lollypop's I had to replace the wires Astatic used to connect the mic head socket down through the middle to the amp in the base with a short run of mini coax. Without the coax the darn things feedback when around a few extra Watts. With the coax all you hear is audio. That minor mod plus the right cable end and you're good to go.

prcguy

Every aftermarket mic from Shure, Turner, Astatic, etc since the 1960s needed to be custom wired to whatever radio you have and little has changed today. Send me your mic and I'll wire it for free if that helps.

A Shure 522 or 450 will not perform anything like a 526T or +3. Nice to hear you got a +3. It will also be helpful if you make a slight adjustment to the mod limiter in your radio to let the radio scream a little.
prcguy

OK, here's what I am struggling with... every Shure microphone I have found, new or used, requires me to rewire it to fit my CB radio. I have no idea how to do that.

Brand new Shure 522 Base Station Microphone is expensive, and it doesn't have any connector at all. I don't know how to wire it to the correct connector for my CB radio (UNIDEN 980SSB 6 pin). https://www.ebay.com/itm/Shure-522-...769364&hash=item3d4ca18422:g:5sgAAOSw09xZ7ynd

A used Shure 522 doesn't even list the connector it comes with, and I pretty sure it won't fit my CB radio.

A used Shure 450 is more affordable... but it comes wired with a 1/4 in male mic connector that also won't fit my CB radio. I'll have to rewire it, and I can't find any simple explanation of how to do that.

The complexity for a beginner is making a pre-wired mic a lot more attractive.

davidrfeeney

Send me your mic and I'll wire it for free if that helps.

A Shure 522 or 450 will not perform anything like a 526T or +3. Nice to hear you got a +3. It will also be helpful if you make a slight adjustment to the mod limiter in your radio to let the radio scream a little.
prcguy

That's very kind of you, thanks! Much appreciated. Looking forward to getting the PLUS 3, for sure.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I used to have one in the late '80s, and it was a nice mic. I don't know if new ones are the same, but if they are, they are a good choice for any base station.

Cambion

For the Stryker 955, remove one SMD diode and bam! 11 Meter Transmit/Receive. Legal, no. But neither was the HR2510 with the cut trace. FCC just doesn't care anymore, as long as you're not causing harmful interference with public safety.

Cambion

We had that exact model on our tweaked 23 channel base station. Had a really nice sound to it. Kept that radio from the mid 70's until about 1984.

Good news! I just bought a TURNER PLUS THREE POWER DESK MICROPHONE on Ebay!

I made a Best Offer and it was accepted.

Hooray!

$_32.JPG

Franks97

https://imgur.com/a/fgp1M

UNIDEN 980SSB Radio & Mic;

MegaWatt S-400-12 36 Amp Power Supply;

Driver's Product DPSWR2 External SWR Meter;

Midland 21-406 External Speaker;

RADIOWAVZ CB Double Bazooka Dipole Antenna

Homemade PVC Pipe Antenna Mount; Outside 3rd Floor Window, Vertical Orientation, SWR 1.0 to 1.3 Hooray!
how far are you talking with that antenna set up like that

Status
Not open for further replies.