The Newbie Asks the basics...

Status
Not open for further replies.

uspatriot1975

Would you please help me understand scanning? I've become interested in it but would like to get some more info.

1. I'm going to buy a scanner in the next week or so. I'm looking at the BCT8 because I've read it's a good affordable option for a newbie. Is there a better option?
2. If I wanted to go mobile with it what is my best affordable choice for an antenna? I want to make sure that I get the right mobile antenna that will match the capabilities of the BCT8.
3. There is talk in the Illinois forum of Chicago Police Dept. going to a digital system in the near future. Will that render the BCT8 useless for scanning them?
4. Why do people in the pictures on this forum have A LOT of scanners (stop laughing at me)? I know there are different options and pros/cons to each model but what is the purpose of having 10 scanners?
5. I know there is software that will allow me to load the freqs into the scanner but why do folks have laptops all over their shacks? How many of those do you need? (I know I probably sound like some of your spouses but really I'm just looking to be enlightened here.)
6. I've read several things but still don't understand the whole talk groups/ fleets/ sub fleets thing. The list of CPD freqs off this site lists 9 freqs along the top and then breaks out talkgroups beneath it. What does DEC and HEX refer to? What do those numbers mean and how do they correspond to what you punch into your scanner?

I've listened to online streams of scanners for a few years now but I want to get one of my own (I live in the city of Chicago...it's got to be interesting). I don't want to spend more than $250 for scanner and mobile antenna just in case I'm not into it 6 months from now. I want to have more features and capabilities than my grandpa's scanner had but I don't want to be frustrated and overburdened with bells and whistles I have no business having.

Thanks for any info you can give me. I just want to make sure that when I buy a scanner I can get down to business as quick as possible. I've read the BCT8 owners manual and STILL have all of the basic questions.

JnglMassiv

3. There is talk in the Illinois forum of Chicago Police Dept. going to a digital system in the near future. Will that render the BCT8 useless for scanning them?
The bad news is that, yes, Chicago going digital would render your BCT-8 useless.
The good news is that I don't see it happening anytime soon (w/i the next 2 years).

I spend a good deal of time scanning Chicago and I'm not looking for digital scanner. I've got my eye on the BC246xlt.

The DEC vs HEX refers to the talkgroup numbering. Some trunking programs can display decimal or hex values for the talkgroups. Your BCT-8 uses decimal.

The reason for multiple scanners is that if you think about it, as a hobbiest, any scanner purchase is unnecessary.

Rube: "Whats the radio for?"
Scannist: "Its to monitor local police and emergency radio traffic."
Rube: "Can't you just watch the news?"

So any scanner at all seems silly to a lot of people. Pretty soon, you realize you might be missing some action because you had on the wrong channel. So while you're listening to PD chase a suspect on the other side of town, you might miss fire responding to a building ablaze right up you street. Or Airforce One overflying your home. Or a Federal bust of your neighbors. Or the tow company towing your car. Or any of countless other possibilities. The solution is to have multiple scanners to cover all the bands of interest. Some are better suited for monitoring mil-air, others are better for 800mhz+ while others are HF and shortwave.

Chicago has some great scanning, no doubt about it. The CPD trunked system is just amazing.

If you like, you can PM me for specifics or questions.

scanfan03

Premium Subscriber
JnglMassiv said:
Rube: "Can't you just watch the news?"

Only problem with that is, that is "old news", with a scanner, you get up to the minute news. What do you think the news uses? Scanners DUH!! :lol: :lol:

uspatriot1975

Thanks for the info. I came accross the Radio Shack Pro 2052. Is that a better scanner than the BCT8 in anyone's opinion? It seems like it more bang for the buck. It doesn't have Bear Tracker but from what I read it's pretty useless anyhow.

mciupa

C'mon, ya gotta help Ol' Gil out here!
One thing that is a pain i n the ass about the Pro-2052 is
that it only scans either regularly or trunk ,BUT not BOTH at the same time.
What I mean is that it doesn't switch automatically between trunk systems and non-trunk freq's as it scans.
Not cool ,as most newer model Trunktrackers do this.
It is meant to be used as a base model, it's kinda chunky to mount
somewhere in your vehicle.
But, 1000 channels are nice,20 banks of 50 channels is pretty decent too and you can hook it up to a PC.
You mention you're not sure if you'll still be into scanning six months
down the road and only want to spend $250... your choices may be limited.

uspatriot1975

hmmm I see what you're saying. Now reading both owners manuals you're right, the BCT8 seems to be able scan both conventional and trunked simultaneously and the 2052 can't. But, the 2052 has a chunk of freqs available that the BCT8 doesn't (174.0000 - 400.0000) plus 1000 channel capabilities. I'm not sure if that's really a positive. I'm just looking for a good deal, solid features and nothing too complicated that I'll be baffled for months with.

uspatriot1975

I ended up buying the Pro-95. I'm very happy after using it for a few days. Just what I needed until I figure out if I want to make it a hobby. I'M LOVIN' THIS!!!

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Now do yourself a HUGE favor,.. download Win95, get the IF cable, and youll have access to the Mil Air, and to narrowband freqs.....

Win95 makes programming a SNAP, and adds things that you can't do manually.. like resetting trunk delay timing, backlighting timing... narrowband accuracy....and doesn't take over an hour to program your scanner. :)

eazzy11

Another Newbie!!

I have a PRO-95, just got it today! I do not understand what Trunking is, What is Win 95 , and what is a IF cable?
I would appreciate any info. Thanks

Swipesy

Re: Another Newbie!!

eazzy11 said:
I have a PRO-95, just got it today! I do not understand what Trunking is, What is Win 95 , and what is a IF cable?
I would appreciate any info. Thanks

One of the fun things about scanning as a hobby is the searching for answers to questions you may have. I would suggest you start your search on "What Trunking is" by typing "Trunk Tracking Radios" in your favorite Internet Search Engine. You will get well educated as to what Trunking is.

Win 95 is a free computer software that will allow you to easily program your scanner with frequencies. from your PC.

An IF cable is a special cable that you can purchase from places such as Radio Shack and others that allows Win 95 to communicate to your scanner from your PC.

This should get you started. You will enjoy the hobby as you learn.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
IF Cable = Interface Cable (PC to Radio Interface)

Win95 can be downloade from starrsoft.com

You can also review the Trunking Information link from the home page of this site for details of the various types of trunking systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.