The perfect antenna for a veichle

slvdyke76

Premium Subscriber
I'm running the Uniden BCD996P2 and I am curious on what would be the best antenna to use. The area I'm in, I have three possible sites to use since I'm smack in the middle of all three. Out in the open or when I'm parked I usually don't have any issues. But when driving through town and listening to something it picked up on trunking, it will cut out, kind of like a house or a tree breaks the signal. Just curious on what everyone else uses.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I'm running the Uniden BCD996P2 and I am curious on what would be the best antenna to use. The area I'm in, I have three possible sites to use since I'm smack in the middle of all three. Out in the open or when I'm parked I usually don't have any issues. But when driving through town and listening to something it picked up on trunking, it will cut out, kind of like a house or a tree breaks the signal. Just curious on what everyone else uses.

What frequencies/bands are you interested in listening to?

There are a number of options, and none of them are "best" for all applications. Getting the right one will make a big difference.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
155 - 162 mainly for trunking

OK, if that's all you need, you can get a basic 1/4 wave VHF NMO mount antenna for a few bucks and it'll work well.

If you are on the fringes of coverage, you can try a half wave or 5/8th's wave and get a bit more gain. But you probably don't need that.

That'll work well on VHF.
It'll also give you some performance on UHF (1/4 wave VHF is 3/4 wave on UHF)

If you want to play around with the VHF, UHF and 700/800MHz capabilities of your scanner, you can try one of these. Both are good antennas and I've used them myself.
or

You'll also need an NMO mount. And then it depends on how you want to mount it.
Permanent mount is best, but not everyone wants to drill holes in their car.
You can do a magnetic mount:

slvdyke76

Premium Subscriber
OK, if that's all you need, you can get a basic 1/4 wave VHF NMO mount antenna for a few bucks and it'll work well.

If you are on the fringes of coverage, you can try a half wave or 5/8th's wave and get a bit more gain. But you probably don't need that.

That'll work well on VHF.
It'll also give you some performance on UHF (1/4 wave VHF is 3/4 wave on UHF)

If you want to play around with the VHF, UHF and 700/800MHz capabilities of your scanner, you can try one of these. Both are good antennas and I've used them myself.
or

You'll also need an NMO mount. And then it depends on how you want to mount it.
Permanent mount is best, but not everyone wants to drill holes in their car.
You can do a magnetic mount:
Thanks for the info