Thread Lock

RFI-EMI-GUY

Bad idea unless you never want to adjust it or move it to another vehicle where you will need to readjust it.

RFI-EMI-GUY

Guess I should have clarified , a discone antenna and the set screws that hold the elements on.
I have one of those and the radials would sometimes come loose because they are hollow and are indented by the grub screw. I just tightened them well and its been fine. If I had used threadlock, the wrench might tear up the screw.

bharvey2

Not directly related to Diamond antennas but for screw/thrad retention in general: for screws that are large enough, a wrap of teflon tape around the thread prior to running the threads together. The tape provides an interference fit, minimizing the chances on something working loose. for smaller screws, a very light layer of oil (WD40 could work) wipe it off and then apply a bit of removeable threadlocker. The oil impedes the threadlocker a bit but doesn't stop it from workiing completely. Both procedures have served me well over the years.

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
I've had success using a fingernail product called "Hard as Nails" for light duty use. It's like a clear fingernail polish. It provides anti-vibration and anti-corrosion protection, but isn't so strong to prevent easy removal of the screw/bolt. I learned about it years ago from a camera repair tech friend. Since it contains solvents, be careful with using it on some plastics.

Gumball928

If you are using WD-40 (which is a penetrating fluid,. NOT an oil) and then using a threadlocker, then you are using the wrong threadlocker.
Loctite products are very specific, and each item has specific properties and applications.
Which is why I suggested Loctite 222 - it is low retention, and for very small threads.

And teflon tape is for thread sealing, not for prevention of corrosion, nor thread retaining.

I would never give counterproductive advice.

bharvey2

If you are using WD-40 (which is a penetrating fluid,. NOT an oil) and then using a threadlocker, then you are using the wrong threadlocker.
Loctite products are very specific, and each item has specific properties and applications.
Which is why I suggested Loctite 222 - it is low retention, and for very small threads.

And teflon tape is for thread sealing, not for prevention of corrosion, nor thread retaining.

I would never give counterproductive advice.

I've never used (nor would I) either method for "mission critical" work. However, as I mentioned, both have worked for me when I've needed to Macgyver a non-permanent thread holding fix.

merlin

I would never use it. First, it isn't necessary. If you later need to make changees, it more than doubles the work needed.
Properly installed and everthing torqued to recomendations, you should never have problems after years of service.

Fixitt

Retired ASE CMAT L1 MRRT
Premium Subscriber
When I assembled my Diamond discone, the instructions said to snug the set screw then tighten it 1 1/2 turns. I did that, created the dimple, loosened it, then snugged it back down and then did the 1 1/2 turn again. I don’t think I could have gotten it any tighter.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I would never use it. First, it isn't necessary. If you later need to make changees, it more than doubles the work needed.
Properly installed and everthing torqued to recomendations, you should never have problems after years of service.

I agree, haven't needed anything on mine, just snug them up and you'll be good. Don't overthink it.

Gumball928

I attempted to answer the question using my best experience. I am in kindergarten regarding radio and scanner knowledge.

I have spent my life in Professional Motorsports, where one is always careful to use the correct fastener, the correct wrench, the appropriate thread lube or thread locker, and the correct torque.
Things are never "good enough", or Mcgyvered". or "put together"

I endeavored to make constructive suggestions based on that.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I endeavored to make constructive suggestions based on that.

I think that's good and your advice/experience is welcome.

But do you put locktite on your oil drain plug? Torquing to spec is sufficient and I've never had an oil drain plug fall out or even come loose in probably hundreds of oil changes on my own vehicles/equipment.

I think what people are saying here, from experience, is that thread locker is not required for assembling these antennas. Those that have installed these antennas and had them up for years have never had one fall apart. That's simply from following the manufacturers installation instructions. I've installed a lot of commercial antennas and never had an issue with them when following the installation guides.

ArloG

Yeah. Use blue locktite if you wish. I read using teflon tape. Why would you add insulation to something that is supposed to conduct pixies?
And don't forget if you don't know. Stainless has a nasty trait of galling threads if over tightened. It doesn't even warn you until you take the fastener apart. Then you notice thread spirals sticking to male threads. Or a dab of Glyptal. But who's got that these days?

wtp

like LADN mentionedclear nail polish.
my electronics teacher said to keep a small one in your toolbox.
i asked if clear was better than red and he said "if a wife or friend sees a red bottle they might get the wrong idea".
not for the theards, for the top when you are done.