• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Three base stations

Jtcindric

Greetings all, first post here. I was lifted three older base stations, a realistic dx-160, a courier conqueror 2, and a JcPenney 6237.

I am looking for either manuals, or information for setup. I've no idea if they are functional beyond powering on. There are other questions, like I've got a giant metal pole I'd like to strap to my chimney, ground, to use as an antenna, do I need standard unshielded coax, or how could I set up an antenna, and can I use the antenna for either only one base station or for multiple if it so can be done.

I Apologize in advance if this is in the wrong forum, please let me know the correct and I'll go there, thanks.

K4EET

Chaplain
Premium Subscriber
Hi @Jtcindric and welcome to Radio Reference!

Have you tried Googling to find the manuals?

I quickly Googled the DX-160 receiver and found this as a PDF:

That website has an extensive collection of manuals. See if you can find the other two at:

kc8kek

Welcome to the forums...there are plenty of good youtube videos on setting up your first base station, watching a couple of those will probably get you pointed in the right direction on the antenna...but but essentially you need a dedicated CB antenna (can't be a random length pipe, etc), and one antenna per radio....though you can use the CB antenna for the receiver if you want - just not when it's connected to the CB.

Don't go nuts on the antenna right away though - go cheap and simple til you make sure the radios are good.

Jtcindric

That's good advice, and I feel dumb for not thinking to check youtube. I use it for everything else. I am going to find a dedicated antenna, one of those wire types. I need one of those pl-259 connectors. But I thought that I can use the length of pipe, run it up the side of my house and attach the antenna wire to it. Then all I've got to do is expand a hole to run the cable through it, and connect.

Also do I need some sort of license for these radios? I've got them from the mil, and fils name is on there with some sort of fcc record.

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
Also do I need some sort of license for these radios? I've got them from the mil, and fils name is on there with some sort of fcc record.
The Courier and the JCP are both CB radios - no license required. CB radios work best with an outside CB vertical base station antenna, up in the air.
The DX-160 is a "shortwave" receiver. This receiver will work best with a long wire antenna, an active loop, or similar.